Terminal Window 3

Terminal Window / Terminal Radio discussion
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Terminal Window 3

Post by Ross »

Nah man, I think the presence of yours, Craig's and Akkya's tracks really helps mix things up enough to stop it being 100% droney ambient without disrupting it at all. It's incredibly hard to get the mix of ambient & beats right (FSOL are one of the few who manage to do it flawlessly), but I think everyone's tracks here really complement each other.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah absolutely - Just ambient drone stuff can get a little wearing after a while in a compilation so it breaks it up really nicely. Finally got to hear this yesterday and my word this is definitely a leap in quality from the last two - flipping amazing work everyone, really is a cracking album.

When's this getting a 'general' release ?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yeah, where is the general link (with artwork and stuff) for us mere mortals :) ?
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Artist copies have been sent out so everybody involved can OK it.

In terms of release... well, I was going to open that discussion. So yeah, what do we reckon?
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Yeah, I absolutely agree with Ross and Pete, your track Alex and works from Akkya and Craig really injected the necessary sounds and surrounded by the ambience turned TW3 into a full length album rather than a compilation of tracks. I already listened to it 5 times or something, so much variety on this one and the sounds blend and evolve naturally.

Apart from impressive work from everybody, I personally was intrigued by how well all the tracks glued together as if they were made for each other, something only FSOL can do successfully IMO. Here we give credit to Ross for putting everything together and making it a cohesive piece. Well done guys!
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

OK, while you contemplate the official release date, can I get a link sooner :) ?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Cheers Dimitris, to be honest I was just really lucky with the material and segues everybody sent in, they all worked so nicely with each other. So slotting it all together was easier than these things usually are.

In terms of release, I reckon we have three realistic options:

1. Doing a physical version as the first release on Terminal;
2. Putting it as a digital release on the Terminal Bandcamp;
3. Finding a netlabel to put it out.

I'm going to look at the pros and cons of these, from my perspective:

1. Pros: it's a physical version, which is the most attractive to new listeners, and obviously something pretty cool to put out. Although trends are changing, there are still a lot of people out there who take physical releases a lot more seriously than digital ones.
Cons: A physical version will have to be paid for. There are three ways of doing this: a) some or all of the contributing artists put the money in to pay for it; b) a Kickstarter project; c) a combination of the two: some people put money in, and use Kickstarter to meet the remaining funds. CD or CDr would be the formats, money/sales/etc. would be sorted out should we decide to take this idea seriously and discuss it further.

2. Pros: Simplest, easiest way of doing it. A 'name your price' release could bring in funds for future physical releases on Terminal if people choose to donate.
Cons: The most low-key of the three options, with little inherent promotional worth: would require a lot more hard work on the promotional front.

3. Pros: Still a pretty simple way of doing it. Most popular netlabels have an existing fanbase who will check it out, so an immediate wider exposure than the others. We can also combine it with a Bandcamp release.
Cons: Quantity does not always mean quality, and from experience, it seems that a lot of netlabel releases seem to get ignored despite decent download totals (over 12,000 downloads for Terminal Window 2 on Sirona, yet nobody's talked about it, played tracks anywhere, even the last.fm stats are pretty poor); I'd take 50 keen fans over 12,000 vague listeners any day. Finding the right/most suitable label will involve some people doing the work, contacting labels and so on. With a free version on a netlabel, very unlikely to bring in any cash, even on Bandcamp.

Everyone has their own ideas, their own priorities, their own reasons for creating music and being involved in this project or even just showing an interest in this project, so please chip in with your thoughts! As many ideas and responses to this as possible please, so we know exactly what the best course is.

In other news, isn't the Tales of Ephidrina insert lovely? Send over some images, be they photos, Photoshopped, 3D renders, whatever, and I'll get them on the artwork somehow. Going to try and make this a bit more than just 10 pages of photo + text overlay, add a bit of style into it... PM me your pics (no selfies plz). Ta!
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

All ideas sound appealing really, but obviously there are Pros and Cons as Ross says. A 'name your price' release on Bandcamp doesnt sound bad, but I personally would go for option 1: Doing a physical version as the first release on Terminal, what do you guys think?

I think the album is good, if the idea works and evolves and the CD/CDr sells, we could use this money for the next Terminal release, and the idea of Terminal sounds appealing. Considering the upcoming Terminal Interface album, the Terminal Video, the new Terminal Website + all the online Terminal places that Craig did a great job setting up, the Terminal Radio show and all the new ideas that will evolve from this, it might be a sign for something quite special here :) But lets decide together.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Ross wrote:Send over some images, be they photos, Photoshopped, 3D renders, whatever, and I'll get them on the artwork somehow. Going to try and make this a bit more than just 10 pages of photo + text overlay, add a bit of style into it... PM me your pics (no selfies plz). Ta!
Whoa! I didn't knew the artwork isn't done! :)
I'll send a few for sure (I'm getting inspired listening to Exit the Dead Airports right now!)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Still waiting for images and release ideas... anyone?
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

incoming - hopefully something for you by monday --- mad busy
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Best to see if people are willing to buy it physical. Maybe if peeps pay more on Bandcamp or whatever we choose, they will also get a physical copy sent to them along with the usual digital version. We can see how many people go with that and see if its enough to make a batch. If it goes well then we can do the same with volumes 1 and 2, even offering more for a special trilogy packaging of all three with more bonuses. The more people pay, the more they get.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Interesting idea. Wonder if a Kickstarter might be a good idea for that...?
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Kickstarter would be a good thing to use to gauge interest in a physical release but it is also a time investment.

If we decide to go that route, I can help out as I've have experience running a Kickstarter campaign.

Post by Ross »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm guessing the relative silence suggests the overall opinion is not to put in too much time / money / etc. in releasing it - all good. So a simple Bandcamp release might be the way forward?

Still up for more images to come in. :)