Noel Gallagher/AA album thread

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Noel Gallagher/AA album thread

Post by dell1972 »

I agree, he likes a good story and doesn't care if it's not true, which is why his brother tried to sue him in the summer! What we do know is we get one song next month. The success of that may define the release date of the AA album. Also, Brian and Gaz aren't exactly strangers to endlessly reworking something until they're happy with it... coughIsnesscoughOthernesscoughOuterness
I am the eye that looks within
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Outerness?
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Outerness. Another one of those unreleased Amorphous albums. There's a couple of tracks I think from it on MySpace: His motherless is essentially a demo of the emptiness of nothingness, and I think there's a remix of an Isness track (Elysian fields?).
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I wondered whether it was connected with the Isness re-release type thing that was due... er, four years ago now.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

A bit more from the same interview:

http://stopcryingyourheartoutnews.blogs ... ynous.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It was also announced that the b-side is one of the Amorphous Androgynous tracks. Is it that one that’s being played at the shows?
Before we come on, yeah.

Is that one of the songs from the High Flying Birds album that’ll be on this next one?
That album is sadly been put on the backburner now because this album has become so successful, that the release date keeps getting put back. But yeah, that’s one of the three singles that’s on it. They’re not remixes, they’ve been completely re-recorded.

In the same way that they did the version of Falling Down?
The What A Life one is a bit like Falling Down. The If I Had A Gun one called Shoot A Hole Into The Sun, really if I’m not singing ‘Shoot a hole into the sun’ over it, if you take the vocal out of it, you wouldn’t know that it was the same song. It’s been completely re-worked. The Death Of You And Me sounds like something from Jack The Ripper times, it’s very vaudeville.

I can’t talk too much about that record because it’s yet to be mixed and the mixes that I have done of it or have been done of it, I’ve not been happy with and I’m all about the mixing. But that one is finished."

And some quite shocking journalism about who the Amorphous Androgynous are. He'd have been better off saying - I don't know and can't be arsed to really find out:

http://news.qthemusic.com/2012/02/colum ... laghe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Noel Gallagher: not the staid three-chord classicist some perhaps thought, it turns out. Created in tandem with his High Flying Birds solo album, the man they call The Chief has a second record under his own name out this year and it'll sound (literally) galaxies apart from Oasis, thanks in no small part to his collaborators Amorphous Androgynous. Cosmic journeymen and prolific compilers of psychedelic rock, duo Gaz Cobain and Brian Dougans are the men behind British electro pioneers The Future Sound of London.

The duo met at university in the mid eighties while studying electronics in Manchester. Releasing the odd bleepy single, including Q and Metropolis under the FSOL monker, they eventually released their first influential-in-the-house-scene compilation Earthbeat in 1992. Later, developing a taste for ambient, they released their first long-player as Amorphous Androgynous , Tales Of Ephidrina, in 1993, however the alias didn't really come into its own until 1997 and following a DJ set under the same, the pair unleashed their first proper AA compilation AA, the blissed-out psych stew that was volume one of A Monstrous Psychadelic Bubble ExplodingIn Your Mind. And speaking to our sister title Mojo last year, Noel revealed it was that compilation series that first piqued his interest.

"I was on a plane to LA, reading Mojo, when I saw an ad for a compilation called A Monstrous Psychadelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind. Well, I'm having that," he recalled and soon picked up the pair's first remix album. Contact was soon made with Cobain, not only to congratulate him on the mixes, but The Chief had an ulterior motive for the call.

He wanted the pair make over of Dig Out Your Soul track Falling Down for its single release. Amorphous Androgynous responded with a sprawling, five-part, 22-minute exotic epic, that Gallagher deemed so far out that he released it on its own 12 inch.

With the cosmic duo clocking up four volumes of the ...Psychadelic Bubble compilations, seamlessly blending the likes of Tim Buckley, Can, Miles Davis, Pentangle, Hawkwind and more. Which it turns out is exactly what Noel was looking for with his second solo release.

Recorded partly at Paul Weller's studio in Woking, the first track from the new album, Shoot A Hole In The Sun, will be debuted in March as the B-side to High Flying Birds' single Dream On. According to Noel it's a good taster of the album "heavy jazz, avant-garde pop". So it seems we should be thinking more Gallagher's Chemical Brothers Let Forever Be or Setting Sun rather than Live Forever or Wonderwall, particular as the duo had a "healthy disrespect" for Gallagher's songwriting

"I almost called it off on the first day when Gaz made me play the same guitar line for five hours and ten minutes," Noel admitted to Mojo. Fortunately he didn't and that guitar line - and many others - are set to form a swirling, technicoloured, third-eye-opening universe later this year."
Ross

Post by Ross »

God, music journalists are so lazy. Instead of checking out a couple of Amorphous tracks to hear what they sound like, he's instead just gone along the 'Chemical Brothers are psychadelic' (nice spelling) route which Noel has already said it won't sound like.

I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised when they hear this.
Ross

Post by Ross »

From the NME and a billion other websites:
"It's turning into a f**king right saga at the minute. Those boys had a deadline for it to be finished before I went on tour... and unfortunately for them, they've only delivered a couple of tracks, and they're trying to mix it while I'm on the road... and it's not working.

"We all need to be in the same room before it gets done, and whatever they've sent me, I don't like... This, at the minute, doesn't sound like a great album... I've got a break in the middle of this tour in July, so now the plan is to do something then, and then to finish it off after the tour. So it might come out at the end of the year, but it's more likely to be next year now."

Poor Noel, expecting them to work to deadlines. Maybe he should read about the way The Isness came out, I remember we had a release date for that of December 1998. :lol:
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Those boys had a deadline?? WTF, this guy has an overblown idea about himself, while he is nothing compared to "Those boys". the guy has written a few nice pop-rock songs and now he thinks he is some kind of genius, some kind of Miles Davis maybe? we are talking about FSOL here for Gods sake.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I think this may suffer as a result of the success of his first solo album. I've got a nasty feeling NG is going to insist on them polishing the life out of it before it gets released. Mind you, it sounds like they just need to get into the same room together and sort out what is required.

I can't help thinking that Noel's interest in them means a reduced likelihood of us hearing something new from them in any guise in the near future. At the end of the day we can only guess though... We get Shoot a Hole Into The Sun next month, who knows when we get anything else?
Ross

Post by Ross »

dubmasta wrote:Those boys had a deadline??
To be fair, they are producing his album, that's kind of how it all works. Obviously 'deadlines' and 'FSOL' aren't the most compatible things, however...

I am thinking along the same lines as Dell in that it's a shame they're going to be putting a lot of time into a non-FSOL release, I'd much rather have Environments 4 or one of the announced Amorphous albums than this... mind you, it'll properly introduce them to a wider audience, so it's a good thing in the grand scheme of things. Even if it seems everybody is expecting a 'dance' album.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:
dubmasta wrote:Those boys had a deadline??
To be fair, they are producing his album, that's kind of how it all works. Obviously 'deadlines' and 'FSOL' aren't the most compatible things, however...
Absolutely, irrespective of opinions one may have of Noel (mine aren't great !) when you're doing a commercial release deadlines are very much an important part of the process. Unlike with fan remixes where it doesn't really affect anything if they're late, for this sort of thing it's going to cock up things for engineers, mastering houses, printers, distribution services etc. etc.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

As I said before, NG will turn out to be a cunt (not the good kind).
I don't know how all 3 of them thought this will work out,
commercial pop-rock star and psychedelic weirdo composers...

After reading for it for a year I thought they are doing the album together, not just producing it...
Aargh, fuck it, I'm done writing...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think all along it's been said that they're producing it and it'll be Noel Gallagher's second album, not a Noel Gallagher & Amorphous Androgynous record.
Also, once again, I wouldn't take everything he says all that seriously, he might be saying this to cover up/dramatise the wait for the album. He's already said the album's finished and in the can, so there's a lot of fabrication going on here.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Pandemonium wrote:As I said before, NG will turn out to be a cunt (not the good kind).
I don't know how all 3 of them thought this will work out,
commercial pop-rock star and psychedelic weirdo composers...

After reading for it for a year I thought they are doing the album together, not just producing it...
Aargh, fuck it, I'm done writing...
agreed!
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

i dont know why they decided to work with this prick anyway instead of doing their own thing. "...and whatever they've sent me, I don't like"...pisses me off like hell. Since he knew that he was getting involved with weirdos what the fuck did he expect? They should have sent him to hell, there are so much stuff we are waiting from FSOL like hungry dogs, and now the main issue is the fooking Noel Gallagher's solo album which is not even AA. Im very disappointed
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me