FSOL NFTs

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

FSOL NFTs

Post by Ross »

https://foundation.app/@FSOL
So the official FSOL Twitter seems to have pushed this, even though it's not on Facebook, Instagram or FSOLDigital yet.
As Pete spotted the other day, there's a FSOL page on Foundation, the Etherium-based blockchain art site.
Avant-garde Visionaries

Electronic Sound Pioneers

Creators of the first internet music download

..Digital Artworks 88..

Future Sound of London
Stakker Humanoid
The Amorphous Androgynous
There are 12 digital artworks available as non-fungible tokens (NFTS), each of which features a loop of animation and audio. All the audio appears to be exclusive, although some of the tracks are radical reworkings of known pieces (the strangely atmospheric version of 'In Solitude We Are Least Alone' is rather nice). There are also two with morphing faces of Vit and Shauneen.

The page looks to have been up for a while, with the oldest five artworks given an auction reserve price (some of them quite high), while later works seem to have no reserve. All of the pieces can of course be viewed for free, but the winning bidder will have official ownership and resale rights, as per the NFT format.
nanio tine
Hardhead

Re: FSOL NFTs

Post by nanio tine »

environmentally damaging and frankly whats the point... who wants to pay £100s for a 30 second video loop?? don't think fsol have gullible/hipster fans like aphex so good luck selling these !
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Aye am not a fan of the recent NFT craze either due to both those things...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I have to officially brag (at least on this forum, where it matters) :)

that I personally helped Brian to get in the NFT / Foundation scene :)

We'll see where this NFT craziness will lead
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Looks like quite a few of these have had bids now, some from multiple bidders, so there's definitely some interest there. As Pandemonium says, time will tell how it all plays out - I'm sure they'll be looking at what potential the medium might have for the future.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:56 pm Looks like quite a few of these have had bids now, some from multiple bidders, so there's definitely some interest there.
Wondering whether it's more 'general NFT speculation' than genuine interest - just learned about this 8 year old kid who has made $400k from three thousand slightly different pixelated whales ( https://opensea.io/Benoni?identifier=Benoni&tab=created ) :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

Take me back to the '90s.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

😂 @ Ross

I know what you mean!
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
pomp
Hardhead

Post by pomp »

mcbpete wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:46 am
Ross wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:56 pm Looks like quite a few of these have had bids now, some from multiple bidders, so there's definitely some interest there.
Wondering whether it's more 'general NFT speculation' than genuine interest - just learned about this 8 year old kid who has made $400k from three thousand slightly different pixelated whales ( https://opensea.io/Benoni?identifier=Benoni&tab=created ) :D
Well, I bid on (and won) one that I'd had my eye on and was triggered to bid by seeing this thread. Been a fan since at least the ISDN days, so probably counts as genuine interest! The point about enviromental impact stands, but is hopefully rendered moot in the next 6 months or so due to changes in the way the Ethereum network works - as for being a massively overpriced jpeg, yeah pretty much - but I'm lucky enough to be in a position to buy one, and my younger self would never forgive me if I didn't.

This is exactly the kind of thing 90's fsol would have been pushing though - maybe they should start selling some of the 'textures' from the old virgin records site...
Ross

Post by Ross »

That's good that they're going to people who'll appreciate them, at least!

Three new ones today, first in a series of eight celebrating the work of Run Wrake - loops from the We Have Explosive video. https://foundation.app/@FSOL
Ross

Post by Ross »

More stuff! Brian's uploaded a series of animations called 'Thought Patterns', generative art based on information from eDDi - the circuit-bending kit he made back in the mid '00s that was responsible for a lot of the music on Hand-Made Devices.
https://opensea.io/collection/thought-pattern

Also on OpenSea, three FSOL animation loops under the category Confirmation Bias:
https://opensea.io/collection/fsol
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

pomp wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:35 pm I bid on (and won) one that I'd had my eye on and was triggered to bid by seeing this thread. Been a fan since at least the ISDN days, so probably counts as genuine interest! The point about enviromental impact stands, but is hopefully rendered moot in the next 6 months or so due to changes in the way the Ethereum network works - as for being a massively overpriced jpeg, yeah pretty much - but I'm lucky enough to be in a position to buy one, and my younger self would never forgive me if I didn't.
Out of interest (and it is genuine interest rather than any judgement despite my NFT reservations) what is it that the 'owner' actually gets after buying an NFT? Is it a really hi-res image or mp4 that you download, the FSOL ones all seem to have music, do you get that as well ? And now that you have it do you have any plans in what you want to do with it - Presumably as you 'own' it you have the rights to print hard copies etc., or do you ?