Mind Maps - look for promo today!!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
molo
Hardhead

Re: Mind Maps - look for promo today!!

Post by molo »

sigESANg5 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:10 pm What a brilliant mix 2 that was ... here's my recording : https://we.tl/t-IgViBSpWwT — Enjoy!!!
Thanks for posting that!

This was the first FSOL Mixlr I've actually listened to as it was broadcast last night. And I recorded it to cassette, I haven't recorded a live 'radio' show to tape for at least 25 years, it was fun to do.

I didn't quite keep up with the track list of the mix, so would like to know if the CD is the full length tracks from the Mix, or is the CD just a copy of the mix itself?
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

The CD is identical to the first hour of last night’s show.

It’s now sold out at Touched, but the FSOL page has plenty left: https://fsol.bandcamp.com/album/fsoldig ... limited-cd
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

You're welcome everyone! just purchased a copy of the FSOLdigital Presents MIND MAPS Limited CD from the fsol bandcamp page. Thanks for the link Ross.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Thanks sigESANg5 so much for the WeTransfer too :D 👍
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

You're welcome mcbpete! Had a proper listen to Mix 2 today - just wonderful stuff!
nanio tine
Hardhead

Post by nanio tine »

bit of controversy raised over on watmm because it turns out one of the artists on this album (Carbinax / 2ndmouse) turned out to be a bible bashing transphobic right winger who believes society is being eroded by peoples acceptance of queer people who he's referring to as "perversions", saying teaching kids about this stuff is child abuse.

obviously the remixes in no way endorse those views but I think sometimes they might want to have a look at the sort of people they choose to associate themselves with! I also googled morven bryce who plays violin on that environments 7 sonata track and found her Facebook where she was having some anti-lockdown rants and sharing things from people who say they've actually met the lizards who are earths overlords. not trying to raise a stink like the gaz thread but if I were them I would be very wary about having these peoples names on my album sleeves!
Vandit89
Hardhead

Post by Vandit89 »

nanio tine wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:40 pm bit of controversy raised over on watmm because it turns out one of the artists on this album (Carbinax / 2ndmouse) turned out to be a bible bashing transphobic right winger who believes society is being eroded by peoples acceptance of queer people who he's referring to as "perversions", saying teaching kids about this stuff is child abuse.

obviously the remixes in no way endorse those views but I think sometimes they might want to have a look at the sort of people they choose to associate themselves with! I also googled morven bryce who plays violin on that environments 7 sonata track and found her Facebook where she was having some anti-lockdown rants and sharing things from people who say they've actually met the lizards who are earths overlords. not trying to raise a stink like the gaz thread but if I were them I would be very wary about having these peoples names on my album sleeves!
This world is going crazy
jenkins
Hardhead

Post by jenkins »

I missed this one. I know I'm late, but does anyone know if it is still possible to get the CD from anywhere? I need a lossless copy of this... I am happy to pay for a lossless CD rip... I can also exchange for something that I have, I can also rip my vinyl records in exchange:
https://www.discogs.com/user/dmitry.mat ... 4&limit=25
You are my last resort. Promise I won't share with anyone.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Quick update from Martin: "More FSOL news to come"
Which is intriguing. I wonder if it was the exclusive mix that accompanied Mind Maps.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Mind Maps 2 confirmed :)
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

I have a (stupid) question: I retrieved all the FSOL releases that I had missed (calendars and recent reworkings, from 2018 onwards). As you may know I collect only "proper albums" (and compilations only if they contain all new tracks, or almost all new tracks). So, is Mind Maps an "album"? As far as I read, it seems to be a collection of other artists' remixes by FSOL, is it so? Has it a FSOL vibe? Otherwise I'll skip it...
Thanks in advance.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

It's not a conventional album, no. While it is album length, it's a compilation of remixes and exclusive tracks, mixed together.

Post by Ross »

Well, it's album length, is mixed seamlessly with various environments, answerphone samples and other typical FSOL stuff, all the tracks sound like FSOL / Humanoid and 'Tiny Machine Birth' is the only track that's released on another FSOL album, so from a listening perspective, it's almost an hour's worth of FSOL material you don't have otherwise.

The remixes all sound like FSOL / Humanoid tracks - I'm guessing your albums-only approach means you've not really given their remix work a go in the past. All I'll say is given how much they use samples - or have done in the past - remixes are made in pretty much the same way, and if you weren't told they were remixes you'd think you were listening to original tracks.

Also - and I know it goes against the albums-only thing - but my God you have to listen to Darshana at least once in your life!
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Well, Ross, that's what I was hoping for. I get your point, Offland, but my approach to FSOL is, as Ross knows, "only full-lenght albums, with all or almost all tracks new for me" (so, no compilation of already released tracks). And, as far as I've read, this is the case.
So, Ross, I've never listened to their remixes (despite the fact that I got to know FSOL with a remix of a tracks of theirs, but remixed by someone else), except the Oasis-Gallagher-Amorphous ones (I'm an Oasis fan and I'm a Noel Gallagher fan, or at least of his music, not of all the bullshit), but that's a completely different matter, I think. So, if they "customize" their remixes and make them very different from the original versions, and they sound more like a FSOL track, so ok, Mind Maps is for me.
And yes, I promise you that I'm going to listen to the track you linked in the next days and I'll let you know about it. That's a promise.

(last night I finally received TUVL, you know what I'm talking about, and I'm all into it right now)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ah, TUVL. I seem to be in the minority by being totally underwhelmed there. But that's a conversation for another forum!

The '90s remixes are almost all totally unrecognisable from the originals, and most of the new ones are pretty heavy reworkings too.

In news:
Mind Maps 2 will be out in November on Touched. Apparently a completely new mix, not the one we heard on the launch night.