FSOL - From the Archives Volume 1 -3

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: FSOL - From the Archives Volume 1 -3

Post by tryptych »

I just checked the Beatport in order of maybe buying the enhanced editions... well, there is no flac, only wav and aiff, and they cost +17€ extra! F*cking weak! I mean, 30€ for a digital download? Forget it.

This is getting ridiculous.
from the source flows the endless...
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

You've got to bear in mind also that when you purchase anything from Beatport, they add on tax to that price afterwards as well, so it will cost even more.

Without wishing to perpetuate the bitrate/flac based discussion (I'm not going to obsess about frequencies beyond the range of human hearing), a flac file is just going to be a compressed (though lossless) version of an original wav file anyway, so the only thing you'd lose out on is extra free disc space on your hard drive.
I am the eye that looks within
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I also find that to be true Mr. Dell
- my definition: MP3 on my HDD device of the original disc in my hand,

but as I said, when you're selling, cover all the ground,
there are people who don't agree with Mp3 and feel that FLAC is bit-for-bit as good as the original
(there is even scientific proof of this)
so why not sell FLAC too?
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I see what you're getting at there Mr. Panda, though the whole debate does bewilder me, and detracts from what we're actually doing here - listening to music. Best to cater for all though I guess, and flac is going to be easier to host/download than wav.

I see these albums are available on juno as well by the way, though the available formats are 192kbps/320kbps/wav - the wav files costing a hefty £12.99.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Bandcamp have definitely sorted out their system - complete transparency with the choice of format offered to the customer and the same price (erm, I think !) for every format from ogg to mp3 to flac.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I like FLAC but im fine with 320 really. Yet, I agree that FSOL should sort this thing out and sell FLAC themselves, at the same price as mp3 and let the customer choose their own preferable audio file format as there are plenty of FLAC freaks out there. Id rather buy straight from FSOL than other music shops on the net.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

dell1972 wrote:I see these albums are available on juno as well by the way, though the available formats are 192kbps/320kbps/wav - the wav files costing a hefty £12.99.
Thanks for the tip man, that's somehow reasonable.. although I'd still rather buy the physical copy with artwork for the same price if possible.

That said, I really look forward hearing these.
from the source flows the endless...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yeah, the perfect solution for all the nitpicks would be FLAC and MP3 for the same price,
even for encored freaks like me, I could take the FLAC and then transcode it to any kind of MP3 I like :)

but looking from the other end, I think its fair for the FLAC to be 10 to 20 % more expensive than the MP3 ...
I guess any option would do - just get all the options available, PLEASE :)
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

im happy with 320..its what my collection is made up of..though i do think it should be an option for fans..
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Ross wrote:Listening to the Beatport samples, I'm going to guess this basically resolves the issue of the first three archives not seguing the tracks together. Why now, though?
I've been wondering about this as well, anyone have any idea?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I guess it was planned after 4-5-6 came out mixed and blended, and these days, I guess it was their turn to come out :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ah, in here I've stumbled across a couple more FSOL rare (ish?) tracks that I almost missed.

La 7 and Mulleck Well from Archives 3. I have it on CD, which they aren't on. And they aren't included in the enhanced edition download either. Is there anywhere I can still buy these tracks (ideally individually)?
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Possibly. They were on the original mp3 version of the album on fsoldigital. You'd like to think that if you bought the mp3 version on fsoldigital now you'd get them too, but there's no guarantees I guess. If I were you I'd drop them an email and ask.

Oh, also, I had my suspicions about iaiaiaiaia, or iaaiaaia as it was originally called on the mp3 version. Having recently purchased the Enhanced Edition, when I played it, I couldn't help but think it sounded a bit different but I think it may be just the way it's mixed. Or it could be my imagination...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Hmmm, not feeling too confident they'd reply to me, as they didn't when I asked about the Enhanced Editions coming to CD. Plus, I don't really want to pay for the whole album on MP3, as I already have the CD and might be buying the Enhanced Edition on MP3 soon as well... how many versions do I need to buy? :-P