MPB DJ set in Finland - 18th July

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: MPB DJ set in Finland - 18th July

Post by tryptych »

dell1972 wrote:There seems to be a real emphasis on the psychedelic at this event. To add to the previous list of acts vaguely associated with the band and MPB in general, Hawkwind are playing as well.
Very true.. there's tons of local REALLY underground bands there. Not to mention, Kettel & Secede are playing the same day.. this is pretty crazy, nothing like this has been seen over here (apart from the FLOW festival who book pretty obscure stuff and the staff is great).

Will be a fucking great festival.. maybe I just have to haul my ass over there (although expensive).. I expect tons of stoned hippies :mrgreen:
from the source flows the endless...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Looks like a remix record of Syd Arthur - there is a precedent of this kind of thing, the Global Communication version of the second Chapterhouse album, for example. I suppose the AA remixes are often pretty extensive too.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Chapterhouse was good but got buried courtesy of George Lucas and uncleared samples. I never understood how Brian and Gaz managed to never fall foul of this problem. Did they get everything cleared or were the samples all manipulated in such a way as to make them not immediately recognisable to Hollywood legal teams?
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think the number of sample credits in the Dead Cities booklet suggests they might have been caught out on Tales/Lifeforms/ISDN and were beginning to play it safe on licensing. They probably just didn't make a big deal of it and worked something out...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ross wrote:there is a precedent of this kind of thing, the Global Communication version of the second Chapterhouse album, for example. I suppose the AA remixes are often pretty extensive too.
There's another predecent of this kind of thing called "High flying birds" which unfortunately never saw the light of day :D So it will be something like the Gallagher-remix thing, with the difference those Syd Arthur guys are not so much the britpop-divas like Mr. Monobrow :)
Magnificient Insignificance
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them involved in his next album in some capacity to be honest. I don't tend to believe what he tells the press. Either way, I'm sure we'll see some of it someday in some capacity, even if it's b-sides of singles
Ross

Post by Ross »

As Noel was keen to tell the press a lot around the time of 'Shoot a Hole Into the Sun', the Amorphous album wasn't a remix album - everything was newly recorded in the studio, and most of it was written with Amorphous, so not quite the same!
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I'm sure half of you have seen this already but here's Gaz' account of the whole experience:

well an interesting weekend..thanks to all the wonderfully warm people at H2O festival in Tuurku Finland. Great to see so many shiny happy hippyish folk having a good time ! Seems like there's a benefit after all to having such long winters ..when they come out to play> BOY ! they play ! It occurred to me it's not unlike my own hibernation in the middle of the French wilderness. Getting there was NOT without mishap since in a mindless moment ( the farmer in me thought he was filling up the tractor perhaps ?) I put the wrong petrol in my new-ish old diesel car en route to UK ( never done that in 25 years driving !) and everything when wrong from there....missing countless ferries, having to drive hundreds of miles out of my way to catch the last one from Calais to the UK at 1 am in the morning amidst terrifyingly beautiful storms plus of course being absolutely bum raped by a local French garage in rectifying the petrol mishap emptying the tank keeping me waiting 5 hours in the process prioritising any French customer who happened to pass by . Still at points it looked like i'd never make it at all so by the time i'd driven from Dover i had precisely one hour before catching the 7am flight to Helsinki the next morning and was well ..er . .cream crackered but relieved to have made it AT ALL. Gig was a little bit of a balls up too since the engineer in his wisdom wired my monitor mix to control the PA/ audience volume too which meant everytime i changed my volume on stage ( a helluva lot and quite dramatically trying to gain control ) it also changed the audience level this resulted in a not particularly funny moment where trying to work out what was going on i turned down my stage level entirely to be greeted with minutes of complete silence for the audience too.....hmmm....must have appeared a bit of a mess.....nice pics though and apparently this is a good review ( but I can't be arsed right now translating cos it's just nice chillin out from it all http://funktiå.com/aani/h2o-toisen-festaripaivan-satoa/ Well no-one died as they say and definitely some great moments cooked up betwixt the wizard Jon Mayer and myself on the MONSTROUS PSYCHEDELIC BUBBLE vibes ! Great to hang with EDD KEENE again too and plan next phase AA..ONWARD

The review as neatly butchered courtesy of bing translator:

I ended up going to also take a look at Bubblea's Monstrous Psychedelic British (a), which I'd really only heard something occasional, Noel Gallagher, lopinää, but it was quite an interesting Intialaisvaikutteinen Webcast hyvänkuuloista undefined music experience.

MPB:llä has a long history of, among others, the Future sound of London ranks and it was therefore already achieved cult status in the artist. I apologize for my ignorance on this point, but I have not been in years, followed exactly this genre of music, so let me describe it thought me. In any case, the MPB was interesting and pulled out a good set.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

dell1972 wrote:"lopinää"
:D That could be something like "babble"..

What I get from that is that they had some monitoring problems.. good, so I didn't miss that much then :D Still hoping to see a full AA gig around here @ some point..
from the source flows the endless...