FSOL - 1995 unreleased track with Ian Astbury

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
APEASTBURY
Hardhead

FSOL - 1995 unreleased track with Ian Astbury

Post by APEASTBURY »

Does anyone know where I can find this track?
cheers!

PEACE & MUCH RESPECT
AA

1999 Ian Astbury interview...
... electronica sustained me through that. I remember seeing Witchman with The Orb at Brixton Academy and being really blown away. So my idea was to mix electronica with rock. I discussed it with Gary from Future Sound Of London back in ’95, when I did a track with them that sadly never came out. I said the song music come first, but he disagreed – he said the loop or the drum pattern must come first. Eventually I discovered that we were both right and both wrong, it could be either. In fact anything could come first.”
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: FSOL - 1995 unreleased track with Ian Astbury

Post by Ross »

Wonder if he's got the date entirely right on that, he did write a song with them in late '96/early '97 entitled The Shining Path, which ended up as an instrumental without his input (eventually released in 2008 on From the Archives Vol. 5 as Sendoro Luminoso), bit of writing about that here: http://futuresoundoflondon.com/rambling ... hap37.html
APEASTBURY
Hardhead

Post by APEASTBURY »

Ross wrote:Wonder if he's got the date entirely right on that, he did write a song with them in late '96/early '97 entitled The Shining Path, which ended up as an instrumental without his input (eventually released in 2008 on From the Archives Vol. 5 as Sendoro Luminoso), bit of writing about that here: http://futuresoundoflondon.com/rambling ... hap37.html

Thank you for the quick reply... found this based on your input..
The Future Sound of London - Sendero Luminoso (05:53)
Available on: From The Archives Vol. 5
Spanish for Shining Path, that was also the working title for this - one of two mixes of the track - in 1997. Says Gaz in 2001: "Prior to coming out to LA, Brian and I and Ian [Astbury, The Cult] had penned a vaguely Tomorrow Never Knows (a track which repeatedly freaked us out during this period) kind of track called The Shining Path. It had turned out a little bit too serious though - somehow there was too much darkness in the lyric...". One of fourteen known tracks from these 1997 sessions, Sendero Luminoso is a dark track with breaks and bass also heard on Head Hunter, sitars, backwards guitars and some Papua New Guinea samples. Though it and the other version of The Shining Path never featured the lyrics Gaz spoke of, the track and those sessions mark the initial work on the Amorphous project that became The Isness. After many years of fan speculation, the popular track finally came out in 2008 on From The Archives Volume 5

Interestingly enough.. it does mention two mixes of the track. Prior to coming out to LA, which I believe he did in 1996/97..

Would love to hear the track with the vocals. Shame that thought it was too dark>>>

Here is the full 1999 interview with Ian Astbury. He talks about The Cult break up.. I think the 1995 is right.. perhaps they revisited the track/finished it in 1997 or you could be absolutely right about 1997 because he was also done with The Holy Barbarians and working on his solo album during that time.

Spirit Light Speed
“I’m obsessed with the movement of culture, the X factor that pushes it forward. Seeing it, being there, being a part of that vitality and trying to define the time you’re in, that’s what it’s all about to me. And that’s what I tried to do with the solo album, though it’s two years old now. The studio held onto it for awhile, demanding more money. Then the Cult reformed, then ewe had to fill a licensee, and then Beggars decided to put it out themselves – it all took time. Maybe now’s the best time for it though, becuase there’s a lot of heat around The Cult at the moment.

I found it very liberating. I got to sing – no one sings anymore so, by default, I’m one of the last singers on the planet – but O also got involved in the music. With The Cult I brought songs to the band, but Billy always wanted to add his own personality and he was mostly in charge of it musically. Besides, my ability to play and arrange was quite poor. My role was more to do with aesthetics. I’d bring things to the band that I thought might be appropriate. I’d change my wardrobe overnight and drag them along with me. I did it for Love, Electric, Sonic Temple, and the short hair for the last LP.
“Around the time we split, I did truly believe rock was finished, and electronica sustained me through that. I remember seeing Witchman with The Orb at Brixton Academy and being really blown away. So my idea was to mix electronica with rock. I discussed it with Gary from Future Sound Of London back in ’95, when I did a track with them that sadly never came out. I said the song music come first, but he disagreed – he said the loop otr the drum pattern must come first. Eventually I discovered that we were both right and both wrong, it could be either. In fact anything could come first.”

cheers for the info! NOW the quest is for the track with the lyrics...
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

There is a version of The Shining Path which has some vocals at the end of it, but I'm not sure it's Ian Astbury. I had no idea he was linked to it in any way. Great track. I think the other version is on the 1997 BBC Radio 3 Mixing It broadcast.

This one?
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

An instrumental version of that section ended up as 'A Sweltering Heat' on Archive 5, always wondered why the vocals were removed. Doesn't sound like Astbury, though.
APEASTBURY
Hardhead

Post by APEASTBURY »

Has anyone heard the vocals with Ian?
Was it played on this set? Says the mix was different but says nothing about the vocals.
If they already had this song mixed, then it had to be recorded before May 97.
Would love to hear the vocals! Thanks so much for everyone's responses!

THE FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON - JOHN PEEL SESSION
BBC RADIO 1 LONDON
08/05/97

00:00 Intro & interview
01:47 Tudor Oak (Manor Farm)
08:18 The Shining Path
12:29 Trying to Make Impermanent Things Permanent
21:02 Private Psyche and Inner Life
27:27 How to be a Genuine Fake
30:25 Outro & interview
33:54 End

'The Shining Path' differs greatly from the 'Sendoro Luminoso' version from the Mixing It show and From the Archives Vol. 5.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Nah, that's an instrumental one too. No version with Ian's vocals has ever been played or released, sadly.
APEASTBURY
Hardhead

Post by APEASTBURY »

Ross wrote:Nah, that's an instrumental one too. No version with Ian's vocals has ever been played or released, sadly.
Thanks for confirming this...
So the quest continues...
Curious if someone on this board is friends with the chaps from FSOL and might be able to ask them about it?
I might have an opportunity in April to personally ask Ian about. :twisted:
cheers
Ross

Post by Ross »

The guys do read the board from time to time - I'll mention it to Brian next time I speak to him.
APEASTBURY
Hardhead

Post by APEASTBURY »

Ross wrote:The guys do read the board from time to time - I'll mention it to Brian next time I speak to him.
Ross - much appreciated mate!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Brian says the track was never completed, although the last time they worked on it, it ran to nine minutes long. They're discussing revisiting it to see if it can be finished one day, so who knows!
Brian on Ian - "i always had an uneasy sense of violence from ian when he was in the studio"
APEASTBURY
Hardhead

Post by APEASTBURY »

Ross wrote:Brian says the track was never completed, although the last time they worked on it, it ran to nine minutes long. They're discussing revisiting it to see if it can be finished one day, so who knows!
Brian on Ian - "i always had an uneasy sense of violence from ian when he was in the studio"
Ross! Thanks for this information!
I might get a chance to talk to Ian in the next few weeks as well.

Back in 1997/98 Ian traveled to Tibet... and somewhere in between that time frame he became a practicing Buddhist.
I believe he knew there was that "uneasiness" within him and wanted to find a way to rid himself of it. He has mentioned in a few live shows that he does not condone to violence because of his beliefs...however he might have that uneasy stigma with him to those that know his history... he might still be fighting with it from time to time.. here is a snippet from an article from two years back...

Do you follow a particular Buddhist way, perhaps the Tibetan school or the Zen approach?
Astbury: I'm a smash-and-grab Buddhist, I guess. I do what I can when I can, and I use what I can when I can. I try to be mindful as much as possible. I certainly lapse into states of complete unconsciousness. I'm living a human life. I'm not trying to "perfect" myself. I try to be of service when I can, and be mindful. Whatever's going on, the dharma tells us that it's all just business as usual. It reminds us to confirm yourself not by what's going on externally, but to accept where you're at, wherever that is, and simply to sit and expand your awareness.

Link to full article
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-rot ... 17969.html

I think Ian may have done a lot growing up since the track was originally recorded...
Ian did mention in the 1999 article that he recorded with Gary in 1995 but I believe it was mentioned somewhere that the track wasn't recorded until 96/97? So there is a bit of a difference.... If this track was recorded in 1995 then it would have probably been the first thing Ian recorded outside of The Cult's 1995 break up. He had just a little bit of angst built up for sure.

Here is a timeline of what I know...
1995 - March - breaks up The Cult in RIO during there non/stop tour - gets back to LA and burns everything he owns that is associated with The Cult in his backyard (BBQ)
1995 (sometime after March) meets and records with Gary "The Shining Path" - mentioned in 1999 interview with Ian
Late 1995 - 1996 - he formed a new band, recorded one album and toured until the Fall - The Holy Barbarians - Cream
1996-1998 - he worked with Chris Goss on his first solo record - Spirit\Light\Speed
1999 - he regrouped The Cult - started working on new material which was released in 2001 - Beyond Good And Evil

Thanks again for the follow up!
This might be a gem!
cheers