FSOL FutureMusic DVD 2006

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: FSOL FutureMusic DVD 2006

Post by tryptych »

Nothing else on the DVD by FSOL.. and the 200mb MKV is basically identical in quality to the Quicktime version (it has AC3 audio btw). Also, unfortunately Wetransfer only stores the data for 7 days apparently and the files are just fine without compressing.

Surround is surround, would be perfect for ambient (although a vast majority still uses stereo, so it wouldn't be probably such a good move to make a 5.1 album only)
from the source flows the endless...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yeah, I can imagine 5.1 would be brilliant for FSOL stuff - but completely inconvenient for 99% of their fanbase.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

They could try and release stuff like Pete Namlook (RIP you magnificent SOB) did the last 6-7 years,
all his releases were double CDs - one regular stereo version of the album, and the other a 5.1 version of the album...

A fair number of other artists tried this, but like I said, most of them realized that there is no pint in releasing 5.1... even most of the movies are pointless in 5.1 - going to the cinema is another thing, but at home, to properly listen 5.1 (movie or audio) you need a whole separate room tuned for it, which is pointless for 99.9 % of the people in general (not just fans).
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

When Autechre collaborated with The Hafler Trio for their 5.1 DVD, Sean from Ae admitted he'd never actually heard the final thing as he didn't know anyone who had a decent surround sound setup
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

If they were going to spend money on something like that, I'd rather they put out stuff on vinyl instead. I'd love some Environments records on wax.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dang i keep forgetting to download this at home

anyhoo i love me some 5.1 music and movies
sure my living room wasn't built for optimal acoustics but i no doubt get a soundstage that surrounds me
and it sounds good
DSOTM on 5.1 SACD is quite nice :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Yeah, I have a few albums that come with a standard CD and with the album on DVD in 5.1 surround (mostly Steven Wilson or one of his bands). I imagine they'll sound good, and maybe one day I'll listen to them... but I haven't listened to any yet, as I don't have a 5.1 set-up.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I got a few of the Flaming Lips albums in DVD 5.1, then the format died and I never bought a DVD audio player.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

you don't need a special DVD audio player to get the 5.1 mix

just the extra clarity