Sean of Autechre on FSOL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Sean of Autechre on FSOL

Post by Dennis »

Some of you may have noticed already, but Sean Booth of Autechre stated some nice comments on FSOL on the 'Ask Autechre Anything'-Interview Thread on watmm:
i do like how fsol keep doing those archives albums totally under the radar tho, they released like 10 albums without anyone noticing. i keep buying them as well

in 88 i was in salford college and brian was there, i would see gaz but like, down the corridor waiting impatiently
a guy on my course booked them to play at the riverside in hyde as stakker, and there were tapes going round college as well, they were college celebs for a brief time
i left college to buy gear after that, partly cos of their stuff being so good and him making it at home (rather than in the college studio)
they were key to us even existing, looking back if they hadn't been there i would prob be an engineer in some studio by now
So Gaz´n Brian were actually the reason for Ae to exist, kind of interesting fanboy gossip, innit?
Magnificient Insignificance
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Re: Sean of Autechre on FSOL

Post by dubmasta »

WoW...
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I feel like I should like Autechre... now, I've only listened to bits, to be fair, so maybe haven't given them a fair try, but I just haven't been able to get into them.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

He also gave a list of his favourite Archive tracks and said Accelerator is his favourite FSOL album. Can't be fucked to go through that monster thread to find the archives list, but I remember finding the fact one of them is Skinny Ribbed Fucker quite funny.

Epitome - Ae are best understood chronologically. If you're going to give them another try, make sure you're going with Incunabula and Amber. Both very beautiful albums. After that, each step gets more precarious as they head off into uncharted waters... especially for a relative newcomer to electronic music!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

autechre can surely be intentionally rough on the ears...sometimes just sounds "broken" lol

they are the kind of act that grows on you eventually

i like them a lot but they aren't like top 10 or anything for me personally
Ross

Post by Ross »

In terms of electronic stuff, they're number 4 for me, behind FSOL, Underworld, Orbital.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Dennis wrote:So Gaz´n Brian were actually the reason for Ae to exist, kind of interesting fanboy gossip, innit?
One of the most interesting things I've read this year!
You're doin' too much, do less.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

beetles, on 06 Nov 2013 - 8:53 PM, said:

Lifeforms or Dead Cities?

hahah we had that,

lifeforms for cascade, cerebral, vit, room208, e burn

dead cities for the whole second half

why or? when i have both available to me at the fingertip.

whats with false opposites everyone

Edited by Rob Ae, 06 November 2013 - 03:12 PM.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:Epitome - Ae are best understood chronologically. If you're going to give them another try, make sure you're going with Incunabula and Amber. Both very beautiful albums. After that, each step gets more precarious as they head off into uncharted waters... especially for a relative newcomer to electronic music!
OK, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to give them another try one day :)
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

man, I wish I went to IDM college!
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

That's very cool to read! Although I don't "understand" most of Autechre's music at all, and I have tried many times.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I really like their early albums & eps up to 97, after that it gets a bit difficult for me. But they caught my attention again with Oversteps which I think is partly wonderful. Exai I found also surprisingly good, not exactly sure why, just working myself slowly through their stuff from Confield up to Untilted, maybe it grows on me lets see...
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Exai is wonderful, the first since Draft that has actually kept me interested for more than four or five listens. I liked Oversteps initially, but got tired of it pretty quickly.
farfromthesun
Hardhead

Post by farfromthesun »

Ross wrote:In terms of electronic stuff, they're number 4 for me, behind FSOL, Underworld, Orbital.
I'm quite surprised by this "order" - Underworld and Orbital simply don't have the scope, depth and pure musical tour de force of either Ae or FSOL, who have never sold out nor compromised their ideals for the sake of making a few quid.

I'd say there's probably a really good reason that two of the four bands listed are still going strong and the other two have petered out to nothing and have resigned themselves to releasing nothing but poor remixes and reissues of their most popular tracks.

Hello, by the way.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Can't say I agree with any of that, other than Barking, which was pretty terrible, although I have no doubt Underworld made it for creative reasons rather than just raking in the cash. I certainly prefer Oblivion With Bells and Wonky over anything Ae have done since the '90s.