FSOL PC collection, finally

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: FSOL PC collection, finally

Post by Ross »

Do you guys really spend most of your spare time in front of the computer? No sitting back in a comfy chair, reading a book, lying in bed, or anything that's not staring at a screen frying your eyes? Jeez. More than a couple of hours at a screen and I start to go mad and long for something tangible in the real world again.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, 'in the front of a computer' is a wide technical term these days :)

I use the classic 'in the front of a computer' when I read/write at this forum for example, and a few other little things...

for everything else, I use this :)

My PC is hooked up on a 42" TV, so lying down I use this remote-with-a-keyboard to watch sci-fi series, movies, documentaries, listen music, concerts and everything else :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Pinyaka
Hardhead

Post by Pinyaka »

One of the nice things about digital music is that the players are relatively inexpensive and smaller than portable CD players. Do you guys object to ipods, zunes, fancy phones, etc. as music players?
Ross

Post by Ross »

I used to have an iPod, then it broke and I went back to my discman. Which is more convenient as it means I no longer have to rip CDs to my computer.

My laptop isn't quite as fancy as having a remote.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i guess it's a little easier for me to skirt the mp3 players because i simply don't need music with me at all times.
in the house in the car are about it and so those CD players always suffice.
what i mean basically is.....i don't really do headphones.
the only time i use them is when the woman or little man is sleeping ;)

dang....pande you surely have a point that rontxo has more physical releases!

i kinda feel like it would be an awesome day to just sit in your living room and soak in all that media you have :P
may really happen one of these days man.......macedonia/greece is something we'll likely accomplish some day.
in fact right now my friend is back home in macedonia for the past few weeks seeing the family.

we thought for a minute about greece for our honeymoon though figured it was pretty expensive.
instead we're going to another expensive place (hawaii) though through timeshare/flier miles etc. it's going to end up relatively cheap ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I don't do headphones either, and I object to all i-xxxxx devices (the argument is too looong)

So yeah, my car or at home...

Seedy, as we said many times, just say when and you're welcome here :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I wonder who has the largest FSOL collection in terms of physical releases. If I hadn't given up the collecting a few years ago I'd definitely be on for it, but I haven't seen rontxo's collection. I'm still missing a fair few '91/'92 12"s and pretty much all the remix 12"s from the past six or seven years.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Pinyaka wrote:Do you guys object to ipods, zunes, fancy phones, etc. as music players?
the iphone i have is an old 8Gb model, a cheap thing which i find awesome as mp3 player. actually, when it was given to me i used it strictly as mp3 player, the sound quality is good and its very convenient as a player. I was thinking of using it as a field recorder at first, but then decided to get a proper one.

As for the external HD devices, one thing i find funny is that i took me years and years to collect and organize the way i wanted my external Terra, and now its been a long time since i used it to listen to something. Even my friends wonder how come my pc is always turned off, when years back i wouldnt switch it off for weeks. Music overload? i dont know, but lately i either listen to specific music from some artists that i love, or just listen to....silence, birds songs, wind blows, rain drops and any kind of environmental noises. Gone mad? probably...
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Vinyl + headphones is the way I prefer to hear my music, for serious listening sessions.
Ross wrote:I used to have an iPod, then it broke and I went back to my discman. Which is more convenient as it means I no longer have to rip CDs to my computer.
Do you use a discman when you listen to FSOL? Not saying there's anything wrong with that :lol: It's just that, well, I wouldn't want to use the discman I had back in the day for complex music like FSOL. No bass, no detail, lots of background noise... wouldn't do justice to their music.
Ross

Post by Ross »

It's a relatively new one, not sure if it's actually a discman, but definitely a personal CD player of some sort. My girlfriend gave it to me when my iPod broke as she only listens to vinyl these days. The quality's pretty decent, but I only use it when travelling anyway. I have a Sony stereo plugged into my monitors in the flat so it does FSOL justice at home.
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

i use 3 different pieces of technology to listen to fsol..iphone has my collection on for out and about paired up with some westone w4 earbuds.At home i either play on a cowon j3 audio player with some akg headphones as the player can handle flac files or on my separates system if my neighbours are out and im feeling anarchic lol...
I keep a bunch of music files on my laptop hdd for easy access as i use it a fair deal gaming,browsing etc but the majority of my music is kept on an external hdd in flac/lossless format and i move it over to my players when i feel i want to change my playlists...

Used to own tons of vinyl and dj'd on an amateur basis years back but it was the same old story..not enough room for it all..other priorites etc..My sister's gone out and splurged on a rega turntable and fancy amp/speakers setup and i kinda have the urge to go out and do the same cos i know that fsol on vinyl and decent set up would sound amazing!but i must resist
Pinyaka
Hardhead

Post by Pinyaka »

darktrain wrote:i use 3 different pieces of technology to listen to fsol..iphone has my collection on for out and about paired up with some westone w4 earbuds.
At this point I quit paying attention. Those are like $400 earbuds. You and I are not in the same league with regards to audio quality.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

RazorJack wrote: I wouldn't want to use the discman I had back in the day for complex music like FSOL. No bass, no detail, lots of background noise... wouldn't do justice to their music.
If the D/A converters in your discman gave those problems then there really was something wrong - even on my £40 discman listening through my reference AKG 701s I don't pick up any shortcomings (well except volume but that's just due to the impedance of the speakers on the 'phones)
anto
Hardhead

Post by anto »

Hi guys found the board yesterday whilst looking for some FSOL stuff, thanks for your list Pandemonium now a brother knows where to start and what to look for though , ive found to ftp links for their live stuff, neither of which work, am i just 5 or 6 years to late for those? is it just a case of trawling the web and looking in nooks and crannies.
Great board by the way ,chuffed to have found it
respect
Anto
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Welcome aboard Anto, this is the best place you could ever find to talk about FSOL. All the guys here are great, so feel free to speak your mind.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me