What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, what I can tell you from my experience, and tons of listened music, the stats really say only 10% is really good, and that is good % considering there are about 25 million releases in the last 100 years - give or take...
then, there is about 20% of it that is - meeeh, it's OK, but who has time to listen OK, we dig to find Very Good, Excellent, Genius, and then there are the 70% of total crap :) so we're back to 10% of very good music - maybe its me, maybe I'm too picky...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

If you are referring to mainstream or pop music then OK, i agree with you. Also i dont know if you are talking about electronic music only or generally speaking. For example, if we take classical or modern classical music, or jazz/funk, it would pretty hard to say that 90% of that stuff is crap, even 60 or 70%. In this case it would be probably the other way round, 90% excellent music and 10% shit, even though its wrong to use numbers here, i dont really like that. Its also probably a matter of taste too, if you ask me about house music, for me most of this music is shit, just like dubstep. On the other hand others might hate drum n bass and breaks, that i love. so its crap to them. I guess its all relative, like the great Moustacheman said once :)
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I was talking to music in general, because I listen and dig for good music in almost all genres known to mankind :)

Yeah well, true quality has very little relativity - if you take My Kingdom, just for an example :) - and play it to people that know a few things about music, and don't listen to electronic music at all - they will like it (99 out of 100) - maybe they'll say its not their area or not their genre, but they will recognize it as quality - at least this is my experience - I've played this tune to classic guitarists, pianists, blues man, punks, metal heads and whatnot - the answer - always the same - this is some good shit!

Well, I just stumbled upon this track just now, digging old psychedelic/funk compilations :)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

yeah , me too man. we might be talking about genres and stuff, and this is realistic because classical is classical and metal is metal, folk is folk etc. but over the last years, i prefer to think that if i truly like/love something, i dont really care if its a pop song or a traditional folk song. any kind of sound can have its special place, from a metal riff to a melody played on Guzheng. im glad i learned that from FSOL, i think this is their greatest achievement and offer thru their music.

I know what you mean by mentioning "My Kingdom", bro you chose a very special track so i dont know who wouldnt like such a beauty. On the other hand, if for example you play John Coltrane to various people, most of them are going to hate it, but Coltrane was a God. Or take Aphex Twin, to some he is a God to others he is just impossible to listen to (me too sometimes :) I dont know, its always hard to tell with art, but since there is a saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", there must be some kind of truth there. I never really believed in esthetic standards to be honest, always liked weird and ugly stuff that others didnt.

Nice track by Donovan, but i prefer Nautilus for a dark funk mood :)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

There's some very specific numbering going on in here. :lol:

I don't mind the 2-step side of dubstep. I always thought 2-step garage would be good if they chucked out the R&B crooning and threw in some atmosphere, so I was pretty thrilled when I heard Burial. The wob-wob aggro shite that forms most dubstep, however, is just about the epitome of music I don't 'get'.

90s electronic artists who were respected for playing ahead of the game or completely outside the box adopting and copying new trends because they're out of ideas of their own and doing dubstep, however, now that's pretty fucking sad. Sorry Orbital, but Beelzebeat is one of the most depressing pieces of music I've ever heard.
I've got my eye on you too Underworld. Stop the collaborations now and start being Underworld again please.

On the headphones today, Mike Oldfield - Incantations and Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Ross wrote:The wob-wob aggro shite that forms most dubstep, however, is just about the epitome of music I don't 'get'
Yeah man, this is exactly what i find very disturbing. and as it seems it has become a trend. I love old stuff from OTT, Funckarma and Abakus. But their latest works were a total disappointment, for me personally it was the dubstep they tried to shove into their sounds and the mainstream feel. For what? Because its trendy? However, i really loved the way Amon Tobin used dubstep elements in his "Monthly Joints Series". I guess, in the end its the way you do certain things.

Which work from Underworld you like best Ross? (apart from 'Born Sleepy' i assume? :)

In a bluesy and jazz mood again, "Pat Metheny & Jaco Pastorius - Bright Size Life" for me today.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Favourite Underworld... Oblivion With Bells, possibly controversially. Their most ambient, their most varied, their most soundtracky, their most acoustic, all tick the boxes here. Generally I love the run from Beaucoup Fish, A Hundred Days off, RiverRun to Oblivion With Bells and their soundtracks. Not quite as fond of the earlier releases, a bit more rhythm based, although some of it's wonderful (the Dutch Dark & Long single, which is about 70 minutes so basically an album, is ace).
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I can't believe it, Wonky is actually receiving top-notch reviews... everywhere...
Even the What? people like it, according to the comments...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah the dubstep is getting out of hand thanks mostly to skrillex
i don't really like it but all said i'm glad the teenies are listening to some electronic music rather than poppy boy band stuff ;p

last OTT album i can live with.
it's weird...a lot of artists i REALLY love and respect are looking at dubstep and i just can't accept that they are all doing it for the money.
ott, amon tobin, adrian sherwood, mad professor, squarepusher, alex paterson......almost all of these dudes were the type that said "eff you I'm making MY music....love it or hate it"

all these peeps have done dubsteppy tracks lately.
thankfully they aren't full on dubstep....nor the skrillexy type....just hints and IMO pretty tastefully done.
if they can limit themselves to that much going forward i won't complain.

squarepusher tracks in particular (off the new album coming in may) were cool because you had this dubsteppy vibe going.....and then before you know it he's back to assaulting you as normal and you hear those signature jenkinson sounds ;)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:I can't believe it, Wonky is actually receiving top-notch reviews... everywhere...
Even the What? people like it, according to the comments...
Incredible, isn't it? What a strange world we live in. Mind you, everybody reckoned Barking was the best Underworld record since Second Toughest in the reviews, which it blatantly isn't.
I think most of the people who are giving Wonky positive reviews haven't a clue what made Orbital great in the first place, and just hear this as a 'good dance album' rather than something to rank alongside In Sides, Snivilisation, Brown and Green. Or they're mad/deaf.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

My last 2 musical discoveries in the last weeks:

1. French psychedelic/progressive rockband "MAGMA", a very special, very strange, very fascinating and at least in my ears a very funny sounding mixture of jazzrock, modern classic and Star Trek. Choral lyrics sung in a fictional language ("kobaian") that sounds like something between german, slawic and clingonic. There´s an elaborate concept behind all the albums about an alien race contacting inhabitants of planet earth or something, I didn´t quite get it yet, but it doesn´t matter. This is for everyone who thinks 70ies King Crimson´s music was waaay too simple to consume... Would love to see "Zombies" from the album "Üdü Wüdü" on the tracklist for next MPB-compilation, would definitely fit.

2. I´m working myself though the backcatalog of MOTORPSYCHO for some days now. Is anyone here fan of them? I heard "Trust Us" and "Black Holes/Blank Canvas" and I quite like what I hear so far. It´s like Hawkwind or Led Zeppelin went Indie/Alternative.
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

nice, I'll definitely check out Magma albums :)

Motorpsycho, dunno, I'll give it a try, let's say with 'Little Lucid Moments'

- now I remembered, I've heard 'Let Them Eat Cake' a long time ago, and I think I liked it :)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, I think said "Üdü Wüdü" album is the best to start with, especially the a-side (first five tracks). It's a bit easier to get into than their other 70ies albums. There is one called "Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandöh" from1973 which is considered as their masterpiece. I'm not sure about that, but the title is my favourite album title of all times.
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha! surprised that all of you haven't heard of magma!
good stuff :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Amon Tobin - ISAM (first time really listening to this, niccce)
M83 (some tracks from the new album, which is all in all quite forgettable.. shame, but still quite good)
Amorphous Weller remixes (right now)
Satellite Party ( :D , soon)
from the source flows the endless...