Record Store Day 2024 - ISDN and From the Archives

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
tengram
Hardhead

Re: Record Store Day 2024 - ISDN and From the Archives

Post by tengram »

I'm guessing that the decision to add new/different material, or else putting it together differently, is what is impacting the decision to remaster or not.

With both Tales and ISDN, there have been changes made (Tales adding the additional material, ISDN putting the material together differently to make is a 2 disc set).

The others that have been repressed haven't had that/needed to have that. (At least the 1 LP version of Accelerator anyhow. Not sure with the 2LP RSD version. As far as I can tell, the Earthbeat repress matches the original in terms of the versions of those tracks used.)
Neil
Hardhead

Post by Neil »

tengram wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:44 am For vinyl collectors, the represses have been great money savers. I've been quite happy with the copies of Dead Cities, Lifeforms, Earthbeat, Accelerator, and Tales that have come out in recent years. Given that all of those have now been repressed, ISDN's the remaining missing piece.
I'd agree with this. Eagerly awaiting ISDN on vinyl as the missing piece for me. I've been happy with the other represses. I did buy a copy of Dead Cities on vinyl at a pretty penny a few years before the repress, but it was well used (DJ's copy who was spinning Herd Killing and We Have Explosive in his set). Without these represses i doubt i'd be able to fork out for all the originals.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

tengram wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:12 pm I'm guessing that the decision to add new/different material, or else putting it together differently, is what is impacting the decision to remaster or not.

With both Tales and ISDN, there have been changes made (Tales adding the additional material, ISDN putting the material together differently to make is a 2 disc set).

The others that have been repressed haven't had that/needed to have that. (At least the 1 LP version of Accelerator anyhow. Not sure with the 2LP RSD version. As far as I can tell, the Earthbeat repress matches the original in terms of the versions of those tracks used.)
This is exactly it - while I’m sure Brian is confident enough in his own passes (the bonus tracks on the CD of Pulse Five aren’t mastered but sound fine), a label like Universal will always pass everything along to a mastering engineer anyway if it hasn’t been done before, so these new / expanded versions are going to get the treatment. They all had fantastic jobs done by Chris Blair at Abbey Road in the 90s and frankly I’m not convinced they necessarily need an update, but Colton is reliable so I’m sure his work on ISDN will be great.
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

ISDN goodies now available on the bandcamp page! Don't think I've ever spent this much money in a single FSOLdigital purchase ... hahah ! :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

For those who stream, ISDN is available now. The tracks are wrongly labelled, of course (black as 1-15 with Kai, Amoeba and Snake Hips listed at the end, even though it plays correctly) because it wouldn’t be an FSOL release without at least one fuckup.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Checking the official charts page, ISDN reached number 13 in the dance album charts last week. Rituals and Life in Moments have also charted in the past, obviously also via RSD. Makes you wonder how well their other records would chart if FSOLDigital could report to the official charts company.