Environment 7 trilogy

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mtnsportr
Hardhead

Re: A Space of Partial Illumination e7.002 out October 2022

Post by mtnsportr »

I have the vinyl and the quality is not as good as other FSOL records but I didn't have any skips/defects.

Overall I like 7.2 more than Rituals (even though it doesn't have a standout tract like Hopiate). They are both strong albums and agree they are better than 6/6.5. Those have incredible songs on them but just don't flow consistently like these do.

Will bandcamp provide a replacement copy?
jenkins
Hardhead

Post by jenkins »

Well, I have almost all vinyl records by FSOL and ... this last one is o'kay-ish in terms of sound quality. Cut a bit on the silent side (unlike Rituals), a tad bassy, lacking in soundstage overall if you compare it with Env 6 / Env 6.5. Well, compare with any other record by them. Wish they did better mastering, but sounds good anyway. The opening track is my favourite. I would like to have a full album like this. Ambient, easy to listen to, relaxing, organic. My copy does not skip. But Brian sends me very nice copies lately, no bent corners, no scratches and sometimes I get unsealed signed records which is flattering. Probably because I am the only Ukrainian FSOL fan :) . Looking forward to installation number 3.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:59 pm I would guess it's still online because people have downloads remaining in their accounts, plus certain releases aren't on Bandcamp (especially those by other artists), and as a way to do the calendar albums via email. There are now 11 releases in the two years since the launch of the Bandcamp page that haven't been included on FSOLDigital. My guess is that Bandcamp has received the vast majority of the sales since it launched so there hasn't been much reason to add them to FSOLDigital.

Not a stupid question at all, I've thought about it myself. Nothing really makes much sense in FSOL world, though.
moxlox wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:43 pm Purchased CD on Bandcamp. Wished I’d ordered it a few weeks ago now though as it says 8 days to deliver for some reason. Too many other things been going on for me so didn’t get a chance before now hence hoping just to pop down to a real shop (!) when I had a moment. Also pre-ordered the vinyl on Amazon because I can wait for that, and seemed like a good price to me.

Was next going to ask the what’s happened to FSOLdigital question! So not stupid at all. I assume the admin is less hassle for them on Bandcamp compared to running their own site, plus it has wider audience exposure. So those two things offset the fees to Bandcamp.
Sorry for being late, but thanks for the "Not a stupid question" to both of you. I really appreciate that.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ok, I don't think anyone has wrote this, and it seems very weird, for it seems to be an "obvious" sample: in the second track of the album (If That Were To Occur) there is a female woman sample that seems the same of Papua New Guinea...is it possibile? Or it's just me mis-hearing?
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Ok I am going to listen now...though I am not very savvy at identifying samples unlike some uber-ears on here!
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Ok....well its not the same sample, but I don't think that's what you meant. Same vocalist, or sourced from same material as original sample back in the day? May be, does have a familiarity to it but seems unlikely same vocalist.

Let's see what the other scribes on here say. Not my forte as I mentioned, and now reinforced as I tried to compare!! Fun though, plus good to put Papua New Guinea on after a while!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

'If That Were to Occur' - doesn't sound like Lisa Gerrard to me, but there's definitely something very familiar about it. It's similar to the vocal sample in 'Vertical Pig', but slightly different.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I know FSOL don't get a lot of press but it's always nice to see a review of one of their new albums. Here's a nice little review from Headphone Commute: https://headphonecommute.com/2023/03/04 ... umination/
Ross

Post by Ross »

Shame he doesn't actually say anything about the album in it!
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Environment 7.003 out November 1st

Post by dell1972 »

THE FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON just announced Environment 7.003.

“THE FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON - E7.3
> .. Where all is Ending .. <
The final part of the Trilogy - Environment 7
now available to Pre Order

That cover screams ISDN

https://fsol.bandcamp.com/album/environment-7003

1. Future Testaments
2. Resting Point
3. A Desolate Stretch of Night Road
4. Where all is Ending
5. Overwrite
6. I'm Eating Here
7. Echos of Inherent Sense
8. A Space of Subsequent Familiar
9. Drift Incline
10. Trichome
11. Absence of Solution
12. Kwaahu
13. Ruler
14. Awkward Shape
15. One Solar Radius 04:24

Nice last track already available.
I am the eye that looks within
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Environment 7.003 out November 1st

Post by mcbpete »

Nnniiiceee - Looking forward to it ! Interesting that both the cover art and general design aesthetic is so different from the first two parts - I wonder if the art is temporary or if it's a representation of quite a different direction the last part goes in (not listening to the sampler track until the full release next month!)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, looks like even the inner artwork of ISDN is referenced there, right down to the layout of the tracklist.

A couple of thoughts - no title here, just back to Environment (why?!?). There’s another 'Space of…' title. And ‘I’m Eating Here’ wins the award for least FSOL title ever. Or at least tied with ‘Mangy Burger’.

No news on what's on the vinyl edition, I'd imagine it'll be missing the last three tracks? The final track isn't listed on the CD art, typically. It's lovely, though, very uplifting, guitars and synths and beats.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Brian informs me the actual title is Where All is Ending, even if it’s not on the cover or the Bandcamp page.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Oh awesome! Can’t wait. The first two have been some of their best work, definitely in the second phase of their career.

When I saw the cover I obviously thought ISDN 2nd release, but I thought it was a placeholder. Doesn’t fit with the other two sleeves really. Mind you Six and 6.5 were totally different, albeit with same font.

Does anyone therefore know if this is the final artwork? I admit to being a bit disappointed about that aspect. But stoked it’s coming soon.
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

I hope the title isn't literal, and this is the last FSOL album....

I'm assuming it's just me having an Autechre NTS4 concern, circa 2018.

I gotta' think the cover art right now is temporary.