Hello all

Anything goes. But keep it clean buster...
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Hello all

Post by adreamingandroid »

Just wanted to say a quick hello and that I am extremely happy to have found this site.

Whilst I have been listening to FSOL for a good few years (somewhere between the release of Expander & Lifeforms) finding info on them hasn't always been easy. I kicked myself the other day when I realised the Ramblings of Old Man vol2 had been released and promptly sold out, so am hoping that being on this site means that won't happen in future.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Re: Hello all

Post by OffLand »

Hey there and welcome! We certainly post here on upcoming releases and physical runs all the time :)

I don't foresee Ramblings of Old Man vol 1-3 getting reprinted, sadly.
Hardhead

I don't foresee Ramblings of Old Man vol 1-3 getting reprinted, sadly.
[/quote]

Yeah I have figured this would be the case. I missed out on the first two Mind Maps releases as I knew nothing about them. Did manage to catch the mixlr broadcast of MM3 and managed to get the cd and one of the tshirts, so I was very happy about that. Managed to get a tshirt for the first MM due to someone selling one on Ebay.

I get that the Mind Map releases are not a straight FSOL albums but I do really enjoy them. I have a bit of a love affair with Electronic Brain Storm Vol 7, have had that on near constant rotation for a couple of months whilst doing my shift at work.

I was fortunate to be at the Essential Festival in Brighton when they did one of the ISDN shows, would really like to see something like happen again.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I think there are still plans to reissue the earlier Mind Maps, keep your fingers crossed. Possibly alongside this year’s fourth volume.

EBS7 is my favourite of all their transmissions. I love that kind of melancholic, slightly spooky hauntological sound on a number of FSOLDigital releases from the earlier years of the label, that always seems like the peak of it.

As for live stuff, I think the time for that is long passed sadly.

And welcome aboard! It’s very quiet around here these days, so it’s always good to see new people.
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Ross wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:51 pm I think there are still plans to reissue the earlier Mind Maps, keep your fingers crossed. Possibly alongside this year’s fourth volume.
- Excellent news and even better news on the possibility of a fourth in the series as I have been enjoying them -

EBS7 is my favourite of all their transmissions. I love that kind of melancholic, slightly spooky hauntological sound on a number of FSOLDigital releases from the earlier years of the label, that always seems like the peak of it.
- EBS7, there is just something about it. I have Lifeforms, Dead Cities, Cascade and My Kingdom all sitting on my phone but EBS7 is the one that gets played the most -

As for live stuff, I think the time for that is long passed sadly.
- When Life in Moments was released, I ended up sending FSOL a message via Bandcamp as I found it it had sold out within less than ten mins after me getting the notification. To my surprise it was Brian that replied. We had a little exchange and I mentioned the Essential Festival and possible live events and, according to him, at that time, there were talks to do something and quite possibly involving Aphex Twin. I'm sure that one of the Mind Maps cds there is an answerphone mentioning this, could be wrong though.

And welcome aboard! It’s very quiet around here these days, so it’s always good to see new people.
- I will be visiting until this site goes offline, especially with the sample library, am hoping I can find out the source of the line "Come ride the teeth of the wind, share my wings". Sample spotting is something me and old flatmate used to do, although we spotting using bands like Front Line Assembly and Front 242 at that point.
Thanks for making me feel welcome -
Ross

Post by Ross »

Interesting about that Aphex thing, I did wonder when that came from. There seemed to be a bit of forward motion around that time, but at the moment I can't foresee a time when it'll happen for numerous reasons.

Mind Maps 4 this summer - more news soon.

Come fly the teeth of the wind is from The Exorcist II
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Ross wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:01 pm Interesting about that Aphex thing, I did wonder when that came from. There seemed to be a bit of forward motion around that time, but at the moment I can't foresee a time when it'll happen for numerous reasons.
- That is a huge shame, especially now that there is better hardware/bandwidth etc in place -

Mind Maps 4 this summer - more news soon.
- woop woop -

Come fly the teeth of the wind is from The Exorcist II
- Thanks for providing the source, I have waited so so long for that. Had similar in the New Year when I was rewatching Scanners, had one of those ahh moments and went ooh Lifeforms -
Ross

Post by Ross »

I love watching 70s and 80s horror and sci-fi films because there’s always a fairly good chance of one of those “I know that bit!” moments.
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Ross wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:04 pm I love watching 70s and 80s horror and sci-fi films because there’s always a fairly good chance of one of those “I know that bit!” moments.
Yep I get that, it's gives an unexpected bonus of enjoyment when it happens. I don't always spot the music samples, apart from the better known ones like the Vangelis/Blade Runner sections on My Kingdom and the Dead Can Dance bits on PNG. I did smile loads when listening to Lifeforms for the first time and I heard snippets of Isao Tomitas work.
nanio tine
Hardhead

Post by nanio tine »

adreamingandroid wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:57 pmWhen Life in Moments was released, I ended up sending FSOL a message via Bandcamp as I found it it had sold out within less than ten mins after me getting the notification. To my surprise it was Brian that replied. We had a little exchange and I mentioned the Essential Festival and possible live events and, according to him, at that time, there were talks to do something and quite possibly involving Aphex Twin.
I think the thing ross is hinting at is that gaz isn't really involved in fsol these days (each new album has 1-2 tracks that sound like amorphous androgynous tracks, the rest are believed to be Brian solo pieces) so chances of anything live from fsol are pretty much nil id say!
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

"gaz isn't really involved in fsol these days"

I assume he has taken the AA route. I have zero issues with that, I wasn't that enamoured with The Isness when it came out.
Neil
Hardhead

Post by Neil »

adreamingandroid wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:50 pm Just wanted to say a quick hello and that I am extremely happy to have found this site.

Whilst I have been listening to FSOL for a good few years (somewhere between the release of Expander & Lifeforms) finding info on them hasn't always been easy. I kicked myself the other day when I realised the Ramblings of Old Man vol2 had been released and promptly sold out, so am hoping that being on this site means that won't happen in future.
Hello. I'm relatively new too but have found this forum a really good resource. If you haven't already discovered it, Ross recently did an epic and mind blowing discography/chronology of all things FSOL over the years. It is the resource for FSOL from beginnings to present. If you look for the Fractional Difference thread on the message board you can start the journey there, with links to the main blog: https://fractionaldifference.wordpress.com/