Mind Maps 3

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Re: Mind Maps 3

Post by Trigga Bo »

I hope someday FSOL will officially release a digital version of the mixes, the main thing is that they publish the correct name of the compositions and remixes, honestly I don't understand this game of Martin and FSOL with hiding the artist (they want people to listen to music, not the name of the remixes?? kindergarten) and about who divided the mix into separate tracks, but what difference does it make, it's still a subjective division of a certain listener and not the fact that he divided everything correctly... I tried to set the timings in the third part of the compilation in a text file for myself, and I'm not sure if it's correct, I only hope for my hearing ;)
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I forget to mention here that Martin at Touched Music confirmed on the Found Sound 3 album live stream that Mind Maps 4 is happening.
No release date given however.
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Thanks for all the tracklist updates TriggaBo, very useful!
gabo86 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:14 am I did not manage to buy Mind Maps 2 and 3 before they went sold-out, but the "band" decided not to make them avaible digitally, so I think I've lost them forever.
I think there are still plans to reissue them at some point, maybe in time for the next volume.
Who did this? And why there is not the same thing for 2 and 3? (I checked)
Just a fan. The same is true of the first A Controlled Vista (every version I can find on Slsk is split). Some people just prefer to have all the tracks easily accessible or know what they're listening to at the exact moment. It's probably the sort of thing I would have done way back in the day, or if these were released in the '00s, when new FSOL was scarce. As it is, there's so much new material out there that I've totally lost track of track titles and such over the past decade (the last album I can 100% identify every title from is Environments 4), so it doesn't bother me too much and I just listen to them as they are.

I don't entirely understand the reasoning behind not putting tracklists on the CDs, my guess would be that they're intended like the band's transmissions in the '90s - also hence the various audio watermarks and announcements and things - but that's completely a guess.

Thanks for the MM4 announcement Tim. It'll be along this spring at some point, I believe it's just been completed. Should be another Enofa remix on there.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:30 pm Some people just prefer to have all the tracks easily accessible or know what they're listening to at the exact moment. It's probably the sort of thing I would have done way back in the day, or if these were released in the '00s, when new FSOL was scarce.
Haha yeah I did exactly this with the ISDN sets during the disenchanted FTP era (do you know who was behind that by the way, I feel like it's something I have been told already so apologies): Used Nero to cue mark (not sure on the exact term) what I believed to be the start time of each new track and then burned them onto a seamless/gap free CD session... Must have dozens of those 'spilt' CDrs in my mum's attic (probably all now suffering bit rot :D )
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Ross wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:30 pm Thanks for the MM4 announcement Tim. It'll be along this spring at some point, I believe it's just been completed. Should be another Enofa remix on there.
Fantastic! Great to see you on the next Mind Maps again! I almost had an Off Land remix on MM4 (I think it would have been Moodus?)... Ah well bug Brian about it for me... maybe for MM5? ;)
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:30 pm
Just a fan. The same is true of the first A Controlled Vista (every version I can find on Slsk is split). Some people just prefer to have all the tracks easily accessible or know what they're listening to at the exact moment. It's probably the sort of thing I would have done way back in the day, or if these were released in the '00s, when new FSOL was scarce. As it is, there's so much new material out there that I've totally lost track of track titles and such over the past decade (the last album I can 100% identify every title from is Environments 4), so it doesn't bother me too much and I just listen to them as they are.
Well, that's because probably you are not a last.fm user (and a hardcore one like me). If I listen to an album (as I consider A Controlled Vista and Mind Maps), I'd like to have every track separated in order to scrobble it.
(maybe it isn't clear, but the tone of my message is funny)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ah boy, I haven't used last.fm in years. Used to always have it on, but then I'd listen to a CD and wonder whether I should also play it on the computer. And it used to scrobble tracks from my iPod twice. I went scorched earth and deleted all my stats about 12 years ago.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:18 pm Ah boy, I haven't used last.fm in years. Used to always have it on, but then I'd listen to a CD and wonder whether I should also play it on the computer. And it used to scrobble tracks from my iPod twice. I went scorched earth and deleted all my stats about 12 years ago.
For me it's actually my favourite web based service, or anyway, the one I use most. If I listen go a CD, then I later scrobble it from my pc (but it's very rare to listen to a CD for me, I do it only when driving, which happens about 2 hours per month). The iPod scrobbler used to be messy but in the last 10 years it never gave me a single problem.
It's perfect, for me (I don't want to convince anyone, of course).
Ross

Post by Ross »

I used to obsess over it quite a bit, and I think that's probably why I stopped. It was so refreshing to listen to music without it becoming a statistic.

Oh, a quick MM3 discovery...
Ross wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:03 pm Bonus 30 minute mix:
Something technoey, four-to-the-floor beats. Acid! This has got to be Humanoid.
This turned out to be 'Trol' from Sweet Acid Sounds.