BRITS AWARD long overdue? Outstanding contribution to music.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Roarytiger
Hardhead

BRITS AWARD long overdue? Outstanding contribution to music.

Post by Roarytiger »

For me FSOL have been my favourite band since I got into music around 1987 aged 15. They created layers of music that sounded so different and fresh compared to other musicians. So why have they not had a mention at the Brits in the outstanding contribution to music category. No other band I know of their ilk have continued to produce fresh music for over 30 years and yet not had the accolade they deserve. Orbital I would put forward too but they have had their breaks apart. Give FSOL a brit and please re do PNG and LIFEFORMS over a full cd like you have with WHE and My Kingdom and Cascade.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: BRITS AWARD long overdue? Outstanding contribution to music.

Post by Ross »

Be a wonderful moment if it happened, but other than a very small handful of artists - Aphex, BoC, Squarepusher - you'd be pushed to find an electronic artist, especially from that period, who gets any real credit within the wider music industry. Great album reviews, good sales, a decent amount of radio play, Peel sessions galore, but ultimately it's not Real Music which is, ostensibly, Men With Guitars. If you've got a release on Warp then you're allowed to sit in the corner of the room, but otherwise you're not invited, basically. They got a Mixmag award in '92 and a Mojo in 2010, which is pretty good going for our two weirdos.

Actually, Brian and Gaz met the Spice Girls at an award ceremony once, might have been the BRITs '97. The Spice Girls had briefly communicated with FSOL's management while trying to get themselves a new deal after leaving their initial management (despite being manufactured, they had a surprisingly independent streak from the start), and so when they bumped into each other at the award show they got introduced. Unsurprisingly, they had no idea who FSOL were. :lol:
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

If you haven't listened to https://www.discogs.com/FSOL-Lifeforms/release/2513 and https://www.discogs.com/The-Future-Soun ... aster/6611 then all your Christmases have come at once.

Also not sure if Gaz is cut out for modern award ceremony quick fire speeches! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5IW-BnwBag
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Oh, yeah, I don't reckon we'll get another Papua release after Translations, that's the closest there'll be.
Lifeforms exists, but as the re-recordings are all new versions, going back to the original synths, samples, MIDI files, etc. and literally remaking the track, Lifeforms would require Liz Fraser to re-record all her vocals. The other option would be for Universal to release it but a) I can't imagine they'd be interested (unless it was maybe part of a 3CD deluxe version of the Lifeforms album) and b) the band would get literally no money from it. So unfortunately it might well languish unreleased forever.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

Gaz Cool Dude :ugeek:
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Trigga Bo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:17 am Gaz Cool Dude :ugeek:
Trigga Bo excellent taste!! :)
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

On this matter - showing ourselves how much old dudes we are in the end....- the son of some friends here listening to dad's record collection (which some were, from yours truly, presents to them)....Lifeforms, Accelerator, Tales...also SAW 85-92, A Collection Of Short Stories and Surfing On Sine Waves among them. Same as when we were young boys digging Pink Floyd, Bowie, Lou Reed in the shelf at uncle's home. Agreed, their contribution to music is quite unique.