FSOL @ 20 - Lifeforms

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: FSOL @ 20 - Lifeforms

Post by mcbpete »

RazorJack wrote:Yep, well, I guess I pay a little too much attention to details when listening to music. It's best audible during the monologue at the start of "Among Myselves".

In the beginning of "Domain" I also hear a few pops/clicks. During almost all of "Interstat" there's a faint but annoyingly high frequency pitch. The sample from "Cerebral" that segues into "Life Form Ends" also has, what to my ears sound like, a background hum, and again some pops/clicks. Which is weird because I only got the cd version of Lifeforms :cry: I'm used to hearing pops and clicks when listening to dirty LP's ;-) More high frequency ear piercing noise in the second half of this track.
Yeah I've spotted those and I'm pretty sure it's intentional given their general perfection towards sound design in all other respects. It's like the Susumu Yokota approach to sampling where the imperfections are pronounced to become part of the aesthetic of the sample itself.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I think that the Interstat high pitch sound is completely intentional.. haven't noticed the rest, except that there's a VERY loud synth sweep at the end of the first disc (was it?).. I always understood what was the point in that, but I think it's a BIT too loud.

But hands down the most versatile, all-over-the-place, interesting ambient record off all time. Most ambient is so generic and boring. It's nice that the Archives take us back to that place again.
from the source flows the endless...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

tryptych wrote:there's a VERY loud synth sweep at the end of the first disc (was it?)..
Yeah, at almost exactly the minute mark of Among Myselves - makes me jump every time !

InterestingDull fact - This was the first album I used to see me through migraines, interesting enough to keep me awake (It used to be that if I fell alseep during migraines I'd wake up about an hour later and would be sick) but sedate enough to not bother my intense headaches.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I have a few questions concerning the lifeforms-era:

Was the first thing they released after Accelerator Tales of ephedrina or the cascade-ep? I never quite got that.

And what were those other ep´s that were planned to get a release from the lifeforms-album? One was the "Eggshell" ep, right?
It could be interesting to have a guess which tracks from the archive series or the ISDN-Shows were the ones that were supposed to be on those scrapped ep´s...

Concerning the album I think everything has been said here about it. A true classic, but in my ranking it will always stand close behind Dead Cities, which is imo still the greatest thing the guys achieved in their electronic phase.

And me too, the lifeforms paths ep is a thing I listen too rather rarely. It´s not bad at all, but I have a slight problem with Ms. Frazers vocals on this one. I´m a HUGE cocteau twins admirer, and a collab between this unique singing voice and FSOL should have actually been something, but I must agree with Mr. Cobain himself, who admitted in that interview (was it an interview?) that Massive Attack did a better job with "Teardrop".
Magnificient Insignificance
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Dennis wrote:I have a few questions concerning the lifeforms-era:

Was the first thing they released after Accelerator Tales of ephedrina or the cascade-ep? I never quite got that.

And what were those other ep´s that were planned to get a release from the lifeforms-album? One was the "Eggshell" ep, right?
Tales of Ephidrina came first (by a few months). Tales and Cascade were both released in 1993.

Eggshell was the planned 3rd EP. Too bad it didn't come about. I don't recall a 4th EP ever being planned. I know the planned 3rd EP for Dead Cities was Yage.
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Eggshell got as far as having Virgin and Astralwerks catalogue numbers (VSCDT 1520/ASW6140), and I'd imagine Climbing from Archive 4 was due from it.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Re: FSOL @ 20 - Lifeforms : A Strange Bootleg Remix From 199

Post by Tito Lozano »

Checking youtube i watch this

As say on description is a promo 10" on Street Beats label but i checked on discogs

http://www.discogs.com/label/Street+Beats

And the "VDL" 10" series and their videos on the page and i can´t found what is the release for this DNB version,sounds good
remember me to the 2006 remixes from Abbey road ep
http://www.discogs.com/Future-Sound-Of- ... ster/23638

,but this is a Photek not labeled as the artist ...
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Concept
Tingler

Post by Concept »

So, do you guys think anything will happen this year still with regards to the 20th year anniversary?
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Honestly ehm, nope.