What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by seedy »

jon hassell makes cool music :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Analord 1 - 11
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Haha "The 'Phex" here too. Believe it or not, but I just heard the "Manchester Track" for first time on youtube... There´s even a version in stereo (think it´s the actual performance from Manchester), quite acceptable sound quality. I have as yet avoided those live tracks that were supposed to be on the new album, due to their probably shitty sound quality, but this one... WOW. If SYRO holds what this track promises - this one and Environment 5 will definitely make my year this year music-release-wise.
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i listened to orbital - the altogether last night and found it quite nice

i guess i'm officially a convert :mrgreen:
Ross

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote:the altogether
:shock:
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha did i get the name wrong or are you just expressing you don't like this album?

i read a terrible review of it while i was listening lol
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

A lot of people hate it, I thought it was quite a fun little album - the only set I've been to see them play live. The David Gray track is pretty darn horrid though.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I probably like it more than most Orbital fans (in that I can actually listen to it!) It gets a lot of hate. It's obvious that they were running out of ideas on The Middle of Nowhere, so The Altogether was very much a reinvention of their sound... just not one that many people liked, ha. Seems a bizarre place to become an Orbital convert.
I suppose it's a bit like "wasn't so big on The Orb, but then I heard Bicycles & Tricycles and I was converted!" or, I dunno, the same for Floyd and The Final Cut or something.

np The Paper Chase - Someday This Will All Be Yours vol. 1
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I like The Altogether because I got the US version that came with the fantastic second disc of b-sides and Middle of Nowhere remixes: http://www.discogs.com/Orbital-The-Alto ... ease/38836
I like the first disc too just not as much as the second disc.

Currently listening to Zammuto - Anchor
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Orbital... another one of those bands that I just can not appreciate fully except some very few tracks/albums. Just like Aphex Twin, Autechre and even Amorphous Androgynous if that counts.

Anyways, I just had to listen to Halcyon + On + On, this track is beyond awesomeness!

It always reminds me of my childhood, not because I was a fan back in the day, but this song was featured in that movie "Hackers" from 1995 that I had seen not long after it came out. Worth checking out if you haven't seen it, despite being outdated, and it's also got music from Massive Attack, Underworld, The Prodigy and Leftfield!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Ross wrote:Seems a bizarre place to become an Orbital convert.

oh to be clear it's not that this specific album created the change.....it was just the realization that "i've listened to all but one orbital album at this point....and i've enjoyed nearly all of it"

altogether....like i said i think it's quite nice. the david gray tune IS horrid though.....simply because i can't stand that voice or be reminded of that lol "babylon" song
Ross

Post by Ross »

The second disc to The Altogether seems so odd to me, because it has some of the chunkiest, most '90s sounding material from the Middle of Nowhere sessions on it, which is so different to The Altogether. It's a really solid selection of tracks though - Mock Tudor, Ah Fhomair and the remixes are all fantastic.

The first CD I ever bought with my own money was the single of The Box, which is still probably Orbital's weirdest record, almost FSOL-like in its multi-part format and seguing tracks. They've been one of my favourite bands since.

Seedy - what's the Orbital album you're missing, then? Blue? Wonky?
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah blue album is the only one left

pretty sure wonky was the one i heard a month or two ago and reported here i wasn't too fond

unless that was an underworld album i'm thinking of =()
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

oh and so yeah....i listened to substrata again last night and liked it much more than my first listen wtf lol

SO.....i guess it's man with a movie camera and shenzhou that i still have a hard time with

i still have a few more of his albums i've yet to hear at all too
Ross

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote: unless that was an underworld album i'm thinking of =()
Truly do not understand how you keep confusing these two! Haha.
The only mention you've made of Wonky is that you think you might have heard it, so... dunno.

What Biosphere have you heard? I really struggle with Shenzhou myself. Have a feeling you won't like Autour de la Lune either, but Cirque and Dropsonde are nice.