Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 1994.3 (Liquid Cool, ISDN T4, 3D, Kiss '9

Post by Pandemonium »

Still digging out tracks from the Kiss transmissions :)
Some fine people at YouTube discovered them in comments.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Ok, Rome 22:50 is Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches. Think this turns up elsewhere too.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yes it does, in the 3D bootleg 1 part 2:

06:37 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches - (Columbia, 1959)

also on a few other places that don't pop in my mind right now...

if anyone finds them let me know here so I update the tracklists.

PS - and what about the "18° to the Left" track??
does it begin on 23:34 on the Rome transmission...?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yes, I need to work out what's going on with that. Will have a listen in a bit...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Identified another bunch of tracks in Kiss 4.

(bump question)
- @ Ross: what about the "18° to the Left" track?? does it begin on 23:34 on the Rome transmission...?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1994.4 (Ramblings of a Madman + Promo500 EPs)

Post by Pandemonium »

Far-Out Son of Lung - Ramblings of a Madman (Smokin' Japanese Babe) EP
Virgin - SMOKIN 94

In October/November Virgin released two promo EPs on 12" only to test the reaction of the new (darker) sound of FSOL. By now the average FSOL fan should've been used to the variety of aliases. The first promo was promoted to be a new Japanese trip-hop artist, but by now FSOL had a big fan-base, even in the press, lots of people heard these tracks on the ISDN live transmissions just a few weeks ago, so the disguise of The Far-out Son of Lung didn't lasted a week.
Funny how I never thought of these releases as trip-hop, even the ISDN album, when someone mentioned it has trip-hop I just ignored it - because the trip-hop, in all of it's beauty, is a far simpler form of music that what we have here. Today (mid 2013), hearing these tracks I get the trip-hop, but now I think, shit... Portishead's Dummy was released that same year... In that case ISDN was highly overlooked and should be on any Top10 trip-hop albums list.

A1 - Ramblings Of A Madman [4:25]
- with a little different opening, this track is the same as it appears on the ISDN album (black and white).
A2 - Zeebox [4:57]
- this is the only unique track here and it will stay that way for the next 10 years when it will be released on Humanoid Sessions 84-88. Strange, weird, this track is already almost 10 years old on this release, and nobody knew nothing about the zeebox project back then... the track is exactly as it appears on the Sessions 84-88 but it's 90 seconds longer, the last 90 seconds are actually the 'we're loosing the war on drugs' talk and the 'are they fighting us' samples that were used in the ISDN transmissions.
B1 - Are They Fightin' Us [6:25]
- a very cool B side with brilliant flutes, that appears only on the ISDN black edition.
B2 - Smokin' Japanese Babe [5:29]
- one of the most lethargic and weed-smoking tracks ever made, as heard on the ISDN (black and white) album, only a little longer.

PS - I will review these tracks again in a longer form with samples used and everything on the ISDN album review a few posts below.

Ramblings of a Madman (Smokin' Japanese Babe) - full promo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Future Sound of London - Promo 500 EP (1994) Virgin - PROMO 500

A few weeks before releasing the black limited edition of the ISDN album, Virgin released a super-rare promo not-for-sale EP for FSOL limited to only 500 copies, thus getting the name, the Promo 500 EP.

North
A1 - Slider [6:23]
- as heard on the ISDN (black & white) only a minute shorter.
South
B1 - Snake Hips [6:02]
- at the time, this was the only unheard track, it didn't appear on the ISDN transmissions and the ISDN Black album, but it did find it's way closing the ISDN White album. Also one of my favorites.
East
C1 - You're Creeping Me Out [6:33]
- as heard on the ISDN (black & white). You're creeping me out - indeed!
West
D1 - Herd Killing [1:40]
- this version will later become known as the Promo 500 version, and it doesn't have nothing to do with the Herd Killing track on the Dead Cities album. It sounds like some punk drum beat slowed down, some distorted sounds and a beautiful flute in the background.
D2 - Live In New York [6:12]
- as heard on the ISDN Transmission 2 New York.

PS - I will review these tracks again in a longer form with samples used and everything on the ISDN album review a few posts below.

Herd Killing (Promo 500 version)

Next stop -> ISDN, the album :)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1994.4 (Ramblings of a Madman + Promo500

Post by Ross »

I always wondered where the copies of Promo 500 were sent.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1994.5 (ISDN: The Album, Far-Out Son VHS-EP)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - ISDN (Black Limited Edition) [album] (05.12.1994)
Virgin - CDV 2755 / V 2755 // Astralwerks - ASW 6144

As I said at the beginning of the 1994 reviews: FSOL started their 3D Headspace tour in '94, and with it left their original print in the music history having done a new concept of live electronic concerts that no-one has done before. This kind of 'concert' was a totally new concept that FSOL literally invented, because like they said in many interviews, they couldn't nor would compete with the rock stars of the '90s and needed to invent something new. The concept itself was groundbreaking in the mainstream world, some say it was underground even... making live concerts all over the globe using ISDN internet connection and not leaving the studio - it sounds stunning even today, almost 20 years later.

In mid-to-late-94 the ISDN sessions were blooming, and the ISDN album was ready as a concept. The market was once again felt-out by Virgin with the promo releases mentioned a few posts up, and they decided to release the ISDN album as some sort of compiled works from the ISDN live transmissions. Almost everyone felt that this should not be presented as new FSOL album because it was weaker and could not follow Lifeforms - and even though a lot FSOL fans still feel like this today, I call BULLSHIT on this. This album is a matching follow-up of Lifeforms, it has it's own new concept and growth, and I think FSOL knew this and agreed to release this album as a compiled live works just to release it as fast as possible. The lists given on both (back & white) editions do not match the given live performances (see list below).

The earliest appearance of each track:
01. (ISDN 2 NY) Just A Fuckin Idiot [5:40]
02. (ISDN 2 NY) The Far Out Son Of Lung And The Ramblings Of A Madman [4:14]
03. (ISDN 2 NY) Appendage [2:33]
04. (ISDN 2 NY) Slider [7:20]
05. (ISDN 5 Rome) Smokin Japanese Babe [5:07]
06. (ISDN 2 NY) You're Creeping Me Out [6:31]
07. (ISDN ? ? ?) Eyes Pop - Skin Explodes - Everybody Dead [3:45] - credits say this track is from ISDN 2 NY, but it's not...
08. (ISDN 2 NY) It's My Mind That Works [3:21]
09. (Kiss T2 '93) Dirty Shadows [6:12]
10. (Kiss T2 '93) Tired [6:37]
11. (ISDN ? ? ?) Egypt [4:11] - credits say this track is from ISDN 4 VPRO, but it doesn't appear there...
12. (ISDN 5 Rome) Are They Fightin Us [6:23]
12. (Kiss T1 '92) Kai [4:24] - this one is from late 1992, mind = blown...
13. (ISDN ? ? ?) Hot Knives [3:20] - credits say this track is from ISDN 4 VPRO, but it doesn't appear there...
13. (ISDN ? ? ?) Amoeba [5:20] - credits say this track is from ISDN 4 VPRO, but it doesn't appear there...
14. (Kiss T6 '93) A Study Of Six Guitars [4:17]
15. (Kiss '94) An End Of Sorts [5:26] - credits say this track is from ISDN 5 Rome, but it doesn't appear there...
15. (ISDN ? ? ?) Snake Hips [5:51]

As you can see, more than half of the tracks appeared before the ISDN transmissions or after them, on some of the EPs. Maybe the wrongly credited tracks appear on the ISDN transmissions from '94 that we haven't heard, there sure are a lot of them, but that's not the point. The point is ISDN is a stand-alone album made from tracks that were born before and during the ISDN tour, and then re-cut and re-produced into an album, just like Lifeforms with the Kiss transmissions.

The album was released in December '94 as a limited edition in a fancy packing: Cruciform Velcro-Sealed Embossed Card Case With Separate Card Sleeve - yeah, I have trouble imagining how awesome that looks as I don't have this release, yet. It was released in 10.000 pieces for the UK, and 10.000 for US market via Astralwerks - well, back then this was considered a limited edition release :) - they probably didn't expect to be sold in more copies, but the mainstream trip-hop explosion caused this album to be released 6 months later and sell many more copies. I never considered ISDN as trip-hop, when someone mention it has trip-hop I just ignored it - because the trip-hop, in all of it's beauty, is a far simpler form of music than what we have here. Today (mid 2013), hearing these tracks I get the trip-hop, but now I think, shit... Portishead's Dummy was released that same year... In that case ISDN was highly overlooked and should be on any Top10 trip-hop albums list.

The so-called White Edition has "Kai", "Amoeba" and "Snake Hips" replacing "Are They Fightin Us", "Hot Knives" and "An End Of Sorts" - the latter 3 tracks remain exclusive for the Black Limited Edition. The White Edition, as you can see below, has a very unusual cover for FSOL, just plain white background with only 8 black letters "FSOL ISDN" (some consider it an homage the Beatles White Album, I don't...), but inside, we have an abundance of colourful artwork and CGI enhanced photos by Buggy G. Riphead. We have the usual suspects, Shauneen Ta and the Electronic Brain, some exotic photos of their travels as well as Vit, the guy who held restaurant close to the Earthbeat studio and made friends with the duo. The very first appearance of Vit is a month before the White edition on the Far-Out Son official VHS/EP reviewed below.

I've probably said this in the past, but for the new readers, once again: ISDN was the very first FSOL album that I heard, and it was all a happy accident. I was young and into 'fast' music like The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers and stuff like that. I knew PNG and just heard We Have Explosive that blew my young brain away. Searching the album that contained We Have Explosive I found out about Dead Cities, which had just came out and couldn't be bought just like that in my 'beautiful' country, so I found a guy on the black market who was selling copies. The guy sold me a copy and I went straight home and put my headphones on, but - the CDr was EMPTY (there wasn't any music recorded on it!) - a fucking shock!... A few months later I went to the capital in the 'normal' music stores and all I could find was the white ISDN, the hypnotic PNG single and My Kingdom single. So I bought them, went home again and tried ISDN... My first thought - WTF is this? What kind of sorcery is this!? This has nothing to do with WHE or PNG... And why is it so fucking slow...? Little did I know that my brain was irreparably influenced by a sound that will define me and my taste in music in the years to come. A week later I put ISDN in the CD player and it stayed there for the next 6 months literally. This was my doorway to ambient, other FSOL releases, then Brian Eno, The Orb and the other usual suspects.

Hearing this album today (mid-2013), it still tickles my brain in its unique way and it's still a beautiful trip. If Lifeforms is a masterpiece that brought every single piece of sound to perfection, ISDN is a more spontaneous work and it feels improvised. In other words, Lifeforms was made with utmost attention and they made it with intent to be perfect and masterpiece, and ISDN was more like 'fuck it, lets go with it' concept - a concept that is more important (at least to me) in making art than any kind of perfection. Music in on itself should not be perfect. I'm not saying that any approach is better, I'm saying they both have their own beauty. The go-with-it concept was also influenced by drugs, clearly. Lifeforms was made by control-freaks FSOL and the concept was conceived with very little (or no) drugs (as they stated). ISDN is clearly conceived under the influence and has its demons with the occasional darkness (which I love) and claustrophobia. The sound is moving further into collaging and sampling (lots of movie samples in this one), but the loops are now recorded live drums and basslines. Guitars, flutes, strings in the background, even some saxophone and other jazz tricks. It just sounds a lot more human to me than Lifeforms.

Alright.. let's see what we can see...

01. Just A Fuckin Idiot [5:40]
- The opening is highly unconventional, the bass is weird as fuck and the effects are superb. "Could you leave the lights alone please. Stop flashing the fucking lights" sample taken from Joy Division live at Preston Warehouse February 28, 1980. The laser sounds sampled from the movie The Black Hole (1979) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/). The ringing bell and the "See" sound sampled from Deep Cover (1992) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104073/)

02. The Far Out Son Of Lung And The Ramblings Of A Madman [4:14]
- The title alone is a piece of art. Jazzy trip-hop with percussions, this is the fastest and brightest track on this album. Bassballs and bass-programming by Phillip Pin. "Alright, let's see what we can see. Everybody online, looking good" sample from Aliens (1986) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/) by William Hope as Lieutenant Gorman. And to think the drums are sampled from a 1968 soul song... come on guys... you deserve to be studied as living legends on all music academies.

03. Appendage [2:33]
- A weird ambient interlude that takes time to get used to... and after that you simply love it. "Not bad for a human" sample taken from Aliens (1986) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/) by Lance Henriksen as Bishop. There are also samples from Escape from New York (1981) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/)

04. Slider [7:20]
- The dark wasteland feel starts here, and it trips like a motherfucker. And to hear where the vocals are taken from... another surprise of the vast knowledge of music by Brian and Garry (see sample library videos below). More Predator sound samples at the end.

05. Smokin Japanese Babe [5:07]
- The waves of water, the smooth opening... this is the most lethargic and weed-smoking track they ever made. It's simply... beautiful whatever the state of your mind is. John Williams fascinates me more and more every day...

06. You're Creeping Me Out [6:31]
- Another wonderful trip, this time with more mystery and ominous parts. "No one can hear us" sample taken from Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979), Season 1, Episode 2 "Saga of a Star World" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076984/)

07. Eyes Pop - Skin Explodes - Everybody Dead [3:45]
- Awesome environmental piece that morphs into a guitar melody. Some sounds remind me of Oxygene by J.M. Jarre, sounds like an homeage in structure even. The bagpipes at the end are just priceless.

08. It's My Mind That Works [3:21]
- An environmental piano piece that morphs half-way through in tribal darkness and creepiness of huge proportions - a colorful picture of FSOLs mind. "You know the way everybody's into weirdness right now?" and "It's all part of cosmic unconsciousness" samples taken from Repo Man (1984) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087995/) by Tracey Walter as Miller. The laser sounds again taken from The Black Hole (1979), also the crackle at about 1:56 also taken from this movie. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/)

09. Dirty Shadows [6:12]
- One of the oldest pieces on this album that was probably too dark to fit on Lifeforms. Beautiful haunting opening followed by a brilliant bass trip and spookiness of strings. "Come fly the teeth of the wind, share my wings" by Linda Blair as Regan MacNeil and also the chanting voices at start of track are sampled from Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076009/)

10. Tired [6:37]
- Another older track track that didn't fit on Lifeforms. The structure is very weird in the first two minutes, like a tired man beating the drums. Then we enter a creepy ambient state with occasional brighter synths. The snorting horse sounds from the scene where Kevin Costner as John Dunbar first confronts Rodney A. Grant as Wind in His Hair sampled from Dances With Wolves (1990) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/)

11. Egypt [4:11]
- Another weird structured beat that makes me nauseous and it took some time to 'get' this track. It's all in the background, vocals, synths, beauty. "Anytime" opening (and repeating) sample by Bill Duke as Mac from the movie Predator (1987) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/)

12. Are They Fightin Us [6:23]
- A track obviously recorded in the same session with Smokin Japanese Babe, it offers a wonderful ride. The flutes are amazing too.

13. Hot Knives [3:20]
- This one resembles the bright beat of the Far Out Son, samples some Johnny Pate familiar flutes and lots of other stuff. The vocals are weird and feel like they don't belong here. EDIT: This track is actually a drastic rework of Mental Cube's Child of The Bass Generation.

14. A Study Of Six Guitars [4:17]
- Guitar textures by Robert Fripp, and no more should be said. The ending is perfection.

15. An End Of Sorts [5:26]
- A pure horror opening for the closing of the Black Edition. The whole track feels like 'I'm gonna chase you, catch you and kill you'. The last minute samples some jazz band chilling out, and I would pay to know where this is sampled from.

FSOL - ISDN [album] (02.06.1995)
Virgin - CDVX 2755 / VX2755 / Virgin Music Canada / Electronic Brain Violence / Caroline Records / Astralwerks - ASW 6144-2

The White Edition tracks:

12. Kai [4:24]
- This is actually the oldest piece in this album, making it's demo appearance on Kiss T1 in late 1992. Acoustic Bassloops sourced from Cavatina (by John Williams) put through the machines. The same John Williams samples continue into Amoeba.

13. Amoeba [5:20]
- Continuing where Kai left-off, this is one trippy motherfucker. These two tracks should be considered as one... The tiger roar at 4:30 is sampled from the movie Apocalypse Now (1979) ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/ ). The same sample also appeared years later on Environments 1 Part 1 @ 25:18 - 25:23.

15. Snake Hips [5:51]
- Another favorite of mine. It's full of acoustic samples and those high string notes are just amazing. I think this is a better closing than An End Of Sorts.

...and now... to the sample library:

The Far Out Son of Lung and The Ramblings of a Madman samples the drums from Five Stairsteps - Don't Change Your Love (album: Love's Happening, 1968)

The Far Out Son of Lung and The Ramblings of a Madman samples the drums from Rotary Connection - Life Could (album: Aladdin, 1968) (at 3:13)

Appendage samples synths from Sun Electric - Entrance (Hohner Aftermooning) (album: Aaah!, 1994)

Appendage samples (the whole background, a bit slowed down) from John Carpenter & Alan Howarth - The Crazies Come Out (album: Escape from New York OST, 1981) - the samples can be heard at 28:18 on the full album link:

Slider samples vocals from Diamanda Galás - Εξελόυμε (Deliver Me) (album: Saint of The Pit, 1986) - at 1:23

Smokin' Japanese Babe samples Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene Part 2 (album: Oxygene, 1976) - at 7:29

Smokin' Japanese Babe samples John Williams - Raga Vilasakhani Todi (album: Changes, 1971) - at 0:11

You're Creeping Me Out samples Leo Muller - The Party After Landing at Lunar Central - at 0:00 + Leo Muller - A Lunar Adventure in the Year 1985 - at 5:22 - both from the album Bobby and Betty Go to the Moon, 1966

You're Creeping Me Out samples sound effects (at 1:56, 2:33 & 4:06) from a 1966 cartoon series Cool McCool (we don't know who worked on the sound on this NBC series, sound effects could be even older):
( listen behind the finger whistle and after it... )

Dirty Shadows samples the opening of Rhythm Heritage - Theme from S.W.A.T. (single: 1975)

Tired samples the opening of Current 93 - Imperium II (album: Imperium, 1987)

EDIT: or better yet, it's probable that the creepy hummings of Tired are not from Imperium II, but from If, Bwana - Reefer (from the Reaper EP, 1991)

EDIT: The A.S.T. track (from 1990) samples the drum break from Banbarra - Shack Up, a 1975 rare 7" funk song. The break can be heard clearly at 2:55
- Rumors have it, this same break was cut/up to extremes to end up on Egypt (on the ISDN album) 4 years later...

Kai samples the drum loops from Chanté Moore - Love's Taken Over (album: Precious, 1992)

Amoeba samples (throughout the whole track) a single synth note taken from the Belgian techno duo T99 - Gardiac (Gardiac sigle is from 1991).

Snake Hips samples Isao Tomita - Golliwog's Cakewalk - at 1:18 + Isao Tomita - The Engulfed Cathedral - at 4:01 - both from the album Snowflakes Are Dancing, 1974

Snake Hips samples 23 Skidoo - Vegas El Bandito - at 2:37 + 23 Skidoo - Kundalini - at 4:34 - both from the album Seven Songs, 1982

Snake Hips samples Randy California - Downer - at 0:02 + Randy California - Things Yet to Come - at 3:22 + Randy California - Rain - at 8:16 - all from the album Kapt. Kopter And The (Fabulous) Twirly Birds, 1972

Snake Hips drums are sampled from the opening of Oneness of Juju - Poo Too (album: African Rhythms, 1975)

Other (less likely) option for the drum source:
Snake Hips drum patterns are slowed down and pitched down versions of a track called He Liked It Too by Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie (album: Master Drums Vol.1, from 1993, but these funky breaks are mostly from the 70s). - Snake hips uses portions of this track: one is heard in the segment from 0:00 till 1:55, the second one from 2:09 till 2:36. This beat patterns are repeated in the second half of the Snake Hips track again.

Appendix A:
- Just a reminder, Dougans and Cobain were 27/29 years old when they released ISDN.
- other important albums surrounding Lifereforms were: (just to feel-out the awesome year of '94)
Portishead - Dummy
Massive Attack - Protection
Laika - Silver Apples of The Moon
Woob - Woob 1194
Tetsu Inoue - Ambiant Otaku
FFWD - FFWD [The Orb feat Robert Fripp]
The Orb - Pomme Fritz
Spacetime Continuum - Sea Biscuit
Pete Namlook & Klaus Schulze - The Dark Side of The Moog
Pete Namlook & Bill Laswell - Outland + Psychonavigation
Pete Namlook & Plastikman - From Within
- WTF did Namlook do in 1994 working with the best of the best :) he should've done some albums with FSOL too :) RIP Namlook...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FSOL - ISDN (Outtakes) (1994) bootleg / unreleased

Years later some outtakes and track-cuts that didn't make the final ISDN album appeared. Some of them were released in 2007 on the From The Archives series, some of them we know from the ISDN live transmissions, and a few of them remain unknown/unreleased even today (mid-2013).

In short, this is how the tracklist looks like:

Outtake 01 - Fractional Difference [3:49] - From The Archives Vol.2 (2007)
Outtake 02 - Live In New York (Remix) [2:09]
Outtake 03 - Appendage [3:28]
Outtake 04 - The Teeth Of The Wind [4:34] - From The Archives Vol.3 (2007)
Outtake 05 - Wanting [2:50] - From The Archives Vol.2 (2007)
Outtake 06 - unreleased [2:01] - jazzy piece
Outtake 07 - unreleased [2:13]
Outtake 08 - unreleased / Black And Blue And Green [1:45]
Outtake 09 - Brujo [2:45] - From The Archives Vol.2 (2007)
Outtake 10 - unreleased [2:06]
Outtake 11 - FSOL/Dead Can Dance Sound Samples [2:15]
Outtake 12 - It's My Mind That Works (full-length version) [7:02]

Outtake Untitled 2 [4:52] - an extra track that Rontxo gave me (I think) that consists of two pieces that are used in the Kiss/ISDN transmissions. The second piece has the same drum loop like Life Is Sweet by The Chemical Brothers (It's an older loop but I can't remember know the original track right now). The cover is pink background with yellow FSOL ISDN letters... wtf indeed...

FSOL - Far-Out Son of Lung and The Ramblings of a Madman VHS-EP (15.05.1995)
Virgin - VSCDT 1540 / VST 1540 / VSC 1540 // Astralwerks ‎

A few weeks before the release of the White ISDN Edition, Virgin released this EP for promotion. It has a VHS version too. The only different and unique track here is Shake Hips, which is very different from the album version, especially the first half. Amoeba was an unreleased track when this came out, but then in ended up on the album. The videos, as you can see below, contain lots of creepy images, and a footage of Vit drowning in a swimming pool.

1. Far-Out Son Of Lung And The Ramblings Of A Madman (4:41)
2. Snake Hips (8:33)
3. Smokin Japanese Babe (5:42)
4. Amoeba (5:00)

Far-Out Son of Lung and The Ramblings of a Madman

Snake Hips (Part 1)

Snake Hips (Part 2)

Smokin' Japanese Babe

Amoeba
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1994.5 (ISDN: The Album, Far-Out Son VHS-

Post by Ross »

It has been suggested before that Hot Knives is a drastic reworking of Chile of the Bass Generation. And that pink cover I made as a joke on the FSOL @ 20: ISDN thread.

1994 is a staggering year for music, it's incredible how many artists released what is regarded by many/most as their high point. At one point I think 13 of my Top 20 albums were from 1994. Some other electronic greats from the year: Autechre - Amber; Orbital - Snivilisation; Global Communication - 76 14; Biosphere - Patashnik; Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol II.
But not only that, the list of artists who released their 'career defining album' in 94 in the pop/rock world - Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Drive Like Jehu, Guided by Voices, Lightning Seeds, John Frusciante, Bark Psychosis, The Divine Comedy, Morrissey, Manic Street Preachers, Nas... That's literally off the top of my head. There was something in the water that year, I think.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 1994.5 (ISDN: The Album, Far-Out Son VHS-

Post by Pandemonium »

Now that you mention it, hearing Hot Knives and Chile of the Bass Generation back-to-back, it actually is a drastic rework, same drum beat mixed, same flute samples, same guitar pattern samples... ha... interesting indeed :)

And 1994 was indeed spectacular, but in my youth, I find the 1996/1997 period to be unmatched in releasing masterpiece albums that hold special place in my heart and my whole generation.

PS - forgot to mention, added clips just now,
Snake Hips samples three more tracks from the album Kapt. Kopter And The (Fabulous) Twirly Birds (1972) by Randy California. I am amazed again...
Last edited by Pandemonium on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1995.1 (BBC Essential Mix 2 + 3 remixes)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix 2 (Fuct Up Soup) [radio mix] (04.06.1995)
- bootleg / first official release 15.11.2008, currently unavailable

Two days after the official release of the White ISDN album, FSOL did another Essential Mix for BBC. This one is subtitled Fuct Up Soup for a reason - it really is a Fucked Up Soup of music. 1960s, 70s, 80s (surprisingly lots of 80s!), 90s - everything is just boiled and mashed up. This is, I think, the only mix where FSOL actually mixed 90% of the tacks - DJ style. There are a lot of tracks credited as Far-Out Son of Lung mixes, but almost all of the tracks are pitched, de-equalized, slowed down, sped-up, looped, and they blend into each-other for longer than usual. A weird mix indeed.

The old tracklist that we got from FSOL themselves back in 2007 has a lot mistakes and no time-stapms. Now, after 3 days of listening and digging and mapping - I got the mix time-stamp ready and 95% (or more) of the tracklist is now accurate. I even FOUND 2 NEW UNLISTED tracks! If you want to see the fixes between the old and the new tracklists follow the links:

Part 1 OLD vs NEW tracklist: http://prntscr.com/1mgf2r
Part 2 OLD vs NEW tracklist: http://prntscr.com/1mgf9s

The new/fixed tracklists:

BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix 2 (Part 1) (Fuct Up Soup) (60:00):

00:00 Transmission intro - old intro makes it confusing, people think this is before 1995...
01:12 400 Blows - A Declaration of Intent - (Illuminated Records, 1984)
05:07 Doug Wimbish feat. Fats Comet - Don't Forget That Beat - (World Records, 1985)
06:57 A Certain Ratio - Kether Hot Knives (Mix In Special) - (Factory, 1982)
08:13 Small Fish with Spine - Stickleback EP - (OMW, 1995) - EP name, not track.
- if anyone has this EP maybe he can pinpoint the right track (YouTube can't...)
13:41 Patrick Pulsinger - Dogmatic Sequences EP - (Disko B, 1994) - EP name, not track.
- if anyone has this EP maybe he can pinpoint the right track (YouTube can't...)
17:14 A.P.E. - Snake's Pass - (Dorado, 1995)
19:50 Beverly De Fries-D'Albert - Mental Sailing - (Coronet, 1981) - album name, not track ( http://search.library.cornell.edu/catalog/976937 )
- now this is one weird/cool album that we should dig out and share - I can't find it anywhere on the net...
20:28 The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows - (Parlophone, 1966)
22:36 The Dust Brothers (aka The Chemical Brothers) - Chemical Beats - (Collect Boy's Own, 1994) - 1 more track mixed in the back
- now THIS one was uncredited, how could they've missed it?
24:18 The Doors - Riders on The Storm (Far-out Son of Lung Deconstruct) - (unreleased, 1995) - (original track, Elektra, 1971)
25:42 Biting Tongues - Feverhouse (Part ??) - (Factory, 1985) - which part??
27:10 Mekon - Phatty's Lunchbox - (Wall Of Sound, 1994)
30:41 The Future Sound of London - Snake Hips - (Virgin, 1994)
34:10 Scorn - The End - (Earache, 1994)
- track name fixed, it is a different track but from the same album.
35:56 Jon Hassell & Bluescreen - G-Spot - (Warner Bros. Records, 1994)
- track hunted down :)
37:33 Karlheinz Stockhausen - Bird of Passage - (Chrysalis, 1976) - piano stabs and ambiance in background of G-Spot
38:11 Beverly De Fries-D'Albert - Mental Sailing (Electronic Music Album No.1) - (Coronet, 1981) - album name, not track.
38:47 Barbra Streisand - Love Theme From "A Star Is Born" (Evergreen) (Far-out Son of Lung Mix) - (unreleased, 1995) - (original track, Columbia, 1976)
40:23 Andreas Vollenweider - La Paix Verde (Colomba, 1982)
- this had totally different artist/track in the old list, fixed with the real track (downloaded and checked).
41:09 Morganistic - In The Shadow (Iridial Discs, 1992)
- track name fixed.
41:09 Black Star Liner - Anna Drone - (Soundclash, 1994) - starts in the same time with the Morganistic track... the percussion/vocal parts...
- artist/track name fixed.
42:57 Quentin Crisp - In Conversation (Far-out Edit) - (unreleased) - maybe Naked Civil Servant (Cherry Red, 1979)? - Morganistic track still goes...
43:32 .O.Rang - °A° On The Samadhi Trail - (Echo, 1994)
- artist/track name fixed.
44:20 Cocteau Twins - Lazy Calm - (4AD, 1986)
46:42 Tonto's Expanding Head Band - Jetsex - (Embryo Records, 1971)
47:03 Fleetwood Mac - Albatross (CBS, 1972) - Jetsex continues in the background
48:30 John McLaughlin / Al Di Meola / Paco De Lucia - Mediterranean Sundance / Rio Ancho (Columbia, 1981) - Jetsex still goes...
- the second uncredited track, when I heard it, I peed a little. Only the best acoustic guitar trio this planet will ever know. I'm glad FSOL are aware of this release :)
48:55 Hypnopedia - Spectral EP (BOY Records, 1992) - EP name, not track.
49:25 Talk Talk - April 5th - (EMI, 1986)
49:39 Laurie Anderson - O-Superman (Far-out Son of Lung Deconstruct) - (unreleased, 1995) - (original track, Warner Bros., 1981)
51:27 The Beatles - Revolution 9 - (Parlophone, 1968)
51:49 Cabaret Voltaire - Eddie's Out - (Rough Trade, 1981)
52:12 Michael LeGrand / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Theme From "Summer of '42" - (Warner Bros. Records, 1971)
52:49 The Future Sound of London - Ameoba - (Virgin, 1995)
57:08 Woob - Amoeba - (em:t, 1994) - it's avery short and very quiet track
57:24 Yage's Noise Collection - London Underground - (unreleased, 1995)
60:00 End

BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix 2 (Part 2) (Fuct Up Soup) (59:31):

00:00 Tortoise - Guriri - no such track... it has bits and pieces of Environments Birds...
01:13 Link - Eel Out - no such track... if we're talking about the Link alias of Mark Pritchard of Global Communication...
03:49 Andrea Parker and David Morley - Angular Art / After Dark (Infonet, 1995) - two different tracks from same release
- artist name fixed.
10:46 Emperors New Clothes - Wisdom and Lies - (Acid Jazz, 1995)
13:47 The Oum Organisation - Laugh - (??? unknown band / unknown track)
15:08 23 Skidoo - Porno Bass - (Illuminated Records, 1984)
16:13 Osamu Sato - ????? - (White Label, 1995) - /sounds like some Tong-Nou unreleased remix...
19:10 Tim Simenon - Pressure Point - (Virgin Music Video, 1989) - Bomb The Bass member
- track name fixed, it's again another track but from the same release.
21:39 Fats Comet - Stormy Weather - (World Records, 1985)
25:46 Bassballs - Don't Suck on My Bag - (??? unknown band / unknown track)
27:22 Steven Jesse Bernstein - More Noise Please - (Sub Pop, 1992)
28:21 Jonathan King - Everyone's Gone to The Moon - (Decca, 1965)
29:37 ????? - ?????
- the only unknown track, it would not be a FSOL mix if there wasn't for at least one unknown track :)
32:26 The Future Sound of London - Kai - (Virgin, 1995)
36:06 Spacemen 3 - ?????
- it's a short snippet, but maybe some Spacemen 3 fan can help with the track name?
36:52 The Future Sound of London - It's My Mind That Works - (Virgin, 1994)
38:19 The Future Sound of London - The Far-out Son of Lung and the Ramblings of a Madman - (Virgin, 1994)
42:22 The Million Sellers - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - (??? unknown band) - original by Ennio Morricone (EMI, 1966)
44:30 The Stranglers - Walk on By (Far-out Son of Lung Deconstruct) - (unreleased, 1995) - (original track, United Artists Records, 1978)
47:19 Hustlers of Culture - Herbs and Spices - (Wall Of Sound, 1995)
50:14 Santana - Live Album (Far-out Son of Lung Deconstruct) - (unreleased, 1995) - (original track, ???)
- another short snipet from some live Santana performance - Santana fans - help!
50:32 The Future Sound of London - Carlos - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1997)
- this made me wonder if Carlos was named after Santana...
54:32 The Future Sound of London - FSOL/Dead Can Dance Sound Samples - (unreleased, 1992)
55:51 Zeebox - Transsexual - (unreleased)
56:30 Gene Kelly - Singing in The Rain - (MGM Records, 1954)
- can't end more classically than this :)
58:09 The Future Sound of London - Live in New York - (Virgin, 1994)
59:31 End

FSOL - BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix 2 (Fuct Up Soup) (04.06.1995)

Jon Anderson - FSOL Deseo Reconstruction / Speed Deep Remix [single remixes] (xx.07.1995)
High Street Records - HD95-26

Jon Anderson is a singer known for his works with Yes, and Vangelis. His 1994 album named Deseo got remixed the next year by some serious electronic musicians like Deep Forest, Transglobal Underground, Global Communication and FSOL. The original album is some new are art rock thingy with Spanish elements that sounds too 'meeeh' for me. The original track is in Spanish acoustic guitar style, but the FSOL mix is fucking beautiful. Made in the ISDN beat style, it offers a very nice trip. The saxophone break at 4:30 just crack me up, and then the track changes the tempo a little. The ending is magnificent ambiance as usual. Deseo means Wish in Spanish (am I right Rontxo?) :)

Now, there are a bunch of different releases that sho us that there is one more remix that has nothnig to do with Deseo. It's a track called Speed Deep that Jon Anderson and Deep Forest did together as a single in 1995. The original track is not bad at all, some Deep Forest styled electronics. The FSOL mix is much simpler than their Deseo mix, but a good trip nevertheless.

05. Deseo (FSOL Deseo Reconstruction) (7:51) / Engineer – Yage / Remix – Future Sound Of London*

04. Deseo (FSOL Deseo Reconstruction #2 (Radio Edit)) (3:09) / Remix – Future Sound Of London / Vocals – Milton Nascimento

09. Deseo (FSOL Deseo Reconstruction #2 (Extended Version)) (4:40) / Remix – Future Sound Of London / Vocals – Milton Nascimento

A2. Speed Deep (FSOL Deseo Reconstruction Mix) (6:19) / Remix – Future Sound Of London / Vocals – Milton Nascimento

03. Speed Deep (FSOL Deseo Reconstruction #2) (4:40) / Remix – Future Sound Of London

Jon Anderson - Deseo (original track)

FSOL - Deseo Reconstruction

Jon Anderson & Deep Forest - Speed Deep (original track) -- the FSOL mix is not on YouTube, sorry...

FSOL Deseo Reconstruction samples (at 0:00 and throughout) Deuter - Cicada (album: Cicada, 1982), birds chirping (or maybe they're synths... because... Germans...). Other chirps from the same track used on Lifeforms Path 4, and later on Hallucination.

Osamu Sato - Face-Savers on Line (FSOL Mix) (1995)
Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) - XDJL 93104 // S3 - S3 484124 2

The second mix done in 1995 is the one for Osamu Sato. Osamu Sato is a japanese fim director that specializes in 'pink movies', a genre of japanese movies that mixes b-side exploitation violence and softcore porn - you know, just your everyday weird japanese shit :) The mix is not a remix of some track per-se, its bits and pieces taken from the only album available from Sato called Transmigration. The remix-album was called Equal and was 12" only available in Japan in 1995 and got a CD world-wide release in 1996.

The mix reflects the 'pink movie' style and the slow breaks that FSOL were into in this period. It just screams weird porn in tempo. It's almost if they melded trip-hop and industrial. And then, in the middle of the track there's a break and the track goes in a totally different direction - a faster trippy trance rhythm with piano mystery. The ending is just plain sick. I didn't like this mix at first, but after a while it became one of my favorites.

B1. Face-savers On Line / F.S.O.L. Mix (9:55) / Music By – Osamu Sato / Remix – Future Sound Of London (1995 release)

08. Face-savers On Line (F.S.O.L. Mix) (9:55) / Remix – Future Sound Of London (1996 release)

Osamu Sato - Face-savers On Line (F.S.O.L. Mix)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Fri May 27, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Re: Pande-reviews: 1995.1 (BBC Essential Mix 2 + 3 remixes)

Post by Tito Lozano »

Yes Mr Pandemonium, "Deseo" is "Wish" in Spanish,Excellent Review for all these Porn Soundtracks (All stuff of this review is so hot) :D
Last edited by Tito Lozano on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think I've listened to Fuct Up Soup in its entirety... twice. Really, really not my thing at all.

Wonderful work on these tracklists by the way - when the site gets its restructure/destruction/overhaul I'll pop all the new finds in - might wait until you've finished this thread then I won't have to do so much work. ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I wouldn't recommend waiting for this thread to finish :)
I've been reviewing for a year now and I barely covered a decade of FSOL.

This thread will be probably finished in mid-2015 - probably later with the kid on the way and all that :D

Just make the overhaul Ross, we've all been waiting for too long :)
And as I said many times, if you need help, just give me access and I'll manage the live tracklists as they are re-discovered.
(first they'll be approved here at the board)

PS - Rontxo my friend, please remove the HUGE quote, it's taking too long to load as it is with all the YouTube links. - or some admin can remove it, please :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol nice i just read through that and relived all of the confusion i had when tracking it out ;p

these links helped me a bit:

http://www.discogs.com/Hypnopedia-Spect ... ease/80794

oh and heck yes i think carlos was named after santana. i actually never questioned it from the start! :)