Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 1993 (Kiss Transmission 2)

Post by Pandemonium »

Every find counts - thanks again :)

EDIT:

I think I am finally done with the first 4 Kiss mixes,
I found a dozen new tracks with the audio recognition softwares,
but I'm done, only people on YouTube can help with the rest :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 1993.1 (Tales of Ephidrina, Curve Mix)

Post by Pandemonium »

Amorphous Androgynous - Tales of Ephidrina [album] (30.07.1993)

Quigley Records - CDEBV 1 // Astralwerks - ASW 6101 //
Caroline Records - 0777 7 88238 2 7 // Virgin Music Canada - V2 88238

Again, weird things happen to me when I listen to this album now (in 2013)... it's 20 years old now and sounding fresh and astonishing... If I had slight misconception in my memory for Accelerator (thinking it had zero ambient), I have much bigger misconception for Ephidrina today. Probably because I had memorized only the ambient pieces, in my mind Ephidrina was a total contrast of Accelerator. As it turns out, they are not that different, and Ephidrina is the perfect crossover between Accelerator and Lifeforms.

Freshly signed for Virgin (for £200,000), looks like the marketing people of Virgin didn't know how to handle the crazy duo. They were expecting more PNG madness, but B&G went (almost) all ambient. So probably a compromise was made, they made a new branch named Quigley Records (probably to protect the pretty Virgin from unexpected music) and gave B&G the 'Go' to release an album. Looks like B&G had their own doubts, so they did what they do best, made up a brand new alias and released the album under Amorphous Androgynous. Maybe the idea back then was to leave the beats to FSOL and continue to make soundscapes & ambient with Amorphous Androgynous. (and we all know how that turned out...)

In USA the album was released for Astralwerks, and little known fact is that this release opened up the legendary Astralwerks, it was the first ever release for Astralwerks, and these guys should've continued to release ambient music but ended up releasing all kind of pseudo-indie stuff. It was also released for Caroline and Virgin Music Canada - all of these having the same boss at the top of the pyramid - EMI and UMG.

Ephidrina is named in displaced reference to a form of speed popular with late-night studio hounds, and the new alias Amorphous Androgynous basically means 'no gender no form', so that's a whole new level of weirdness, and the name somehow fits... I don't know why, but the first time I saw the cover art (in 1997, when I was a teenager), I thought "That's a cow!", and a few months later I was seeing tits... Even today the front cover reminds me of a cow... and sometimes tits... and I don't know why...

Some say this album was released as a teaser for the new directions FSOL were heading in, some say they made up new alias because of the infamous 'second album' syndrome, which I think is bullshit. True, that syndrome is very real and it has destroyed some very brilliant musicians, but B&G never released stuff under different aliases because of fear of failure, they did it because they liked to have different alias for every music genre they were experimenting in - and this is why I think they wanted to leave the beats to FSOL and make ambient with AA, and probably the marketing pressure from Virgin is the only reason why FSOL is the name behind Lifeforms and everything that followed - it's because it was easier for them to work with a name like FSOL, which had a hit, and AA... nobody knew what that even means...

Also, there is another possible rumor that Ephidrina is leftovers and outtakes from Lifeforms, even though Lifeforms came out much later. This is a possible scenario [...I take a look at the first 4 Kiss transmissions that were played before Ephidrina...] because as we can see from the Kiss reviews, only Liquid Insects was played in a longer version, and only a few short snippets of Auto Pimp and Pod Room appeared, and Fat Cat was mentioned only by name. On the other hand, more than 10 tracks from Lifeforms were played, some as demos, some as final cuts... even Environments and ISDN are more present than Ephidrina - so... it's possible, but it's also possible that they kept this material new and unpromoted because of the excitement with the new Virgin deal, so they composed (the bigger part of) Ephidrina in the first 5 months of 1993, when they were about 26 and 28 years old.

1. Liquid Insects (7:21)
- brilliant opening, the Predator movie samples (from 1987) are insane, also, water environments, seagulls, beats - it's all scary... this track samples Tangerine Dream, Herbie Hancock and 808 State - it's crazy I know. See videos below for details.

2. Swab (4:17)
- another beat driven track with a fair amount of ambience effects, percussions, congas, - I actually described PNG haven't I :) - well, it's not far from it, it's even better structured.

3. Mountain Goat (4:38)
- easily my favorite track here, and I'd dare say Top10 ambient tracks ever! The guitar is magical, and the background is even batter. If you play Cerebral from Lifeforms after this one and keep the two in loop for a while - there is real danger to die from overexposure to blissful happiness...

4. In Mind (5:38)
- the perfect balance between what was then known as techno and ambient. The bassline is brilliant. The ending is... insanely awesome!

5. Ephidrena (8:17)
- very weird beat track with elements of acid, well, the title says it all...

6. Auto Pimp (7:20)
- very cool track, Philip Pinn knows his job with the basslines...

7. Fat Cat (4:04)
- another perfect example of mixing beat, strings, bass, synths, and a few dozens of other things :)

8. Pod Room (5:27)
- flutes, ambient, sneaky beats, very trippy ride...

All in all this album gives a remarkable journey and sounds wonderful even today, and I'd say its moderately overlooked compared to Lifeforms and the other projects of this '92-'94 era.

Written by Amorphous Androgynous. Recorded at the Analogue Room - London. Engineered by Yage. Produced by Philip Pin. Directed by F.S.O.L. Reworked at Earthbeat Studios - London. Buggy G. Riphead artwork, for the first time including photographs and sophisticated graphic textures.

Liquid Insects samples Predator sound effects (1987) - creature effects were devised by maestro Stan Winston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Winston)

Liquid Insects (at 1:05) samples Tangerine Dream - Phaedra (1974) around the 12 minute mark

Liquid Insects (at 3:34) samples Herbie Hancock - Hang Up Your Hang Ups (1975) at 0:02

Liquid Insects (at 2:10) samples 808 State - Kinky National (1990) at 3:26

Liquid Insects (at 1:48) samples a break from Bobby Byrd - Hot Pants (1971) [written by James Brown]

Liquid Insects (at 0:26) samples Tony Scott - The Murmuring Sound of Mountain Stream (1965) (at 3:07)

Mountain Goat samples at 2:52 Schoolly D - P.S.K., What Does It Mean? (1985) at 5:40

In Mind (at 0:56) samples the spoken vocal from CTI - Well Spring of Life (Gathering The First Waters of Spring) (1984) at 6:34 (or 12:11 on the clip)

Fat Cat samples at 0:17 Peter Gabriel - Of These, Hope Reprise (1989) at 0:01

Fat Cat samples at 0:27 Global Communication - Incidental Harmony (1992) at 0:18

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amorphous Androgynous - Liquid Insects EP (13.08.1993) Astralwerks - CAROL-6102

That-1. Liquid Insects (6:17)
This-1. Mountain Goat (6:16)
This-2. Sky-Scraper (5:51)

Released in US on 12" only, it was used for promoting the Ephidrina album. It's weird because the prefix in the catalog number is from Caroline Records, but I guess it's no big deal because Astralwerks was still in its infancy.
Liquid Insects is about a minute shorter, and the only exclusive track here is Sky-Scraper, a track that gives the feel of the Accelerator, but also has some Ephidrena elements.

Mountain Goat - just because it's so damn awesome, have a listen please!:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curve - Blackerthreetrackertwo EP (23.08.1993) Anxious Records - ANXCDS 42

02. Rising (Headspace Mix) / Producer – Curve, Steve Osborne / Remix – Future Sound Of London* (9:22)

Actually, I tried and failed to find the original version of this track, so I assume there is no original track named Rising, and I'd guess FSOL took some samples from multiple Curve tracks and did their magic.
EDIT: the original version is named Unreadable Communication from the Cuckoo (1993) album.
The track is very organic and ambiental, and I can easily say that this is the first FSOL remix that I truly and completely like a lot.

Curve - Rising (Headspace Mix by FSOL)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It's actually a remix of Unreadable Communication. Not sure where 'Rising' came from. Very good remix. Bits of it ended up on Environments 1 and the opening of Archive 7.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

Probably my favourite fsol remix.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Pandemonium wrote:
Fat Cat samples at 0:17 Peter Gabriel - Of These, Hope Reprise (1989) at 0:01
This is one of the rare occasions for me of when a track transcends just being music and becomes just a raw rush of emotion. That flute riff has got to me every time ever since I heard Fat Cat back in about '99 (at some crazy inflated import price at a local HMV
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Not entirely sure, but I always thought the flutes on "Kinky National" by 808 state are samples themselves from someone.
There are lots of quite famous soul/jazz samples on the whole "Utd. State 90" album, just recently heard the song from which the theme of "Sunrise" is sampled from, but forgot the name...
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yes Dennis, it's totally possible,
I also hear that Fat Cat doesn't sample Global Communication - Incidental Harmony (1992)
but instead it's Depeche Mode's - Oberkorn (It's A Small Town) (Development Mix) (1985) - but pitched a little bit.

I really really really don't like Depeche Mode and refuse to believe this :) but like I said - it's possible :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Some good news and some bad...

Good: YouTube is finally useful, some guy posted a comment for the opening of Kiss 1 Part 3, and discovered Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby (Ambient Mix)

Bad: Kiss 4 Part 4 was removed due to copyright claim by Serendip LLC. - yeah, they started...

EDIT: since my user that published Kiss Test 1/2 and Kiss 1/2/3/4 is temporary blocked to publish videos longer than 15 min., you can find Kiss 5/6 on this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPvwF1t ... ist&view=0
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 1993.2 (Cascade, two more mixes)

Post by Pandemonium »

The Future Sound of London - Cascade [longform single / EP] (22.10.1993)
Virgin - VSCDT 1478 / VST 1478 / VSCDXJ 1478 / VSC 1478 // Astralwerks - ASW 6175-6 / ASW 6175-2

This was the first FSOL single after Papua New Guinea and also first for Virgin, who decided to go along with the new ambient sound. This single also marks the beginning of a new FSOL sound that they develop and push further even today (20 years later). Listening to this today, it looks, a lot, simpler (this is the best word I can come up with right now) compared to some of the later works, let's say, the Environments 2/3/4 series, but considering this was made in 1992/93 - it was a beginning of an evolution of a new soundform and it sounds very good even today. And just imagine, they were 26 and 28 years old...

Virgin gave this single a full treatment, it was released on CD, Cassette and 12" (official, promo and DJ versions), and it also was released for Astralwerks in US, but as a 12" only, the Astralwerks CD was released in 1996 (with the dozens of FSOL US releases in 1996 when they were catching up with everything FSOL-connected that wasn't released in the USA). The single went pretty well, considering the golden era of weird electronic music has begun and people were accepting this kind of music. The Orb, The KLF, Underworld, Chemical (Dust) Brothers, Namlook, Biosphere, Higher Intelligence Agency, The Black Dog, they were all new and operating at full capacity. The next 5-6 years will be truly mindblowing for electronic music.

Some less known credits: Annalee Valencia - Art Direction, Design. / Artwork by Buggy G. Riphead.
The first sleeve to feature The Electronic Brain spike model by Olaf Wendt (a German designer who worked in the mainstream for a long time and finally made it to Hollywood in 2004 and later even worked on Harry Potter - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1782104/).

This single is actually hard to define as a single, it sounds more like a EP. It is often called a longform single because it's defined like one track with five parts, something that was established by older electronic musicians who have a more classical approach to electronic music, like Vangelis or Jean-Michel Jarre. But in this case we have three different tracks to say the least, so, single?, EP? does it matter?

Tracklist:
1. Cascade (Part 1) (7:22)
2. Cascade (Part 2) (9:38)
- the first two parts is the main Cascade theme expanded, very different from the album version, more breakbeats, more synths, making it again a transitional sound between Tales of Ephidrena and Lifeforms. The themes have very eastern feel, giving the serene atmosphere, (I always imagined the synth part played on a Ruan Chinese guitar - it would be incredible!) while the breaks and the effects give the western feel. I think that 'beautiful and serene' is the best description for this one, even though the percussions and the breaks suggest otherwise, yet they are melded in perfection.

3. Cascade (Part 3) (4:24)
- is an environmental beatless mix of Cascade, wonderful sub-basses here, and the whole atmosphere would easily fit on some sci-fi landscape.

4. Cascade (Part 4) (4:39)
- is a longer alternate version of what will later become 'Elaborate Burn' on the Lifeforms album, interesting sound structure here, and again the eastern feel on a few places...

5. Cascade (Part 5) (6:12)
- is a longer alternate version of what will later become 'An End of Sorts' on the ISDN (Black Ltd. Edition) album, after the long intro there are some haunting sounds that scare the shit out of me whenever I listen to them under any kind of influence.

6. Cascade (ShortForm) (4:16)
- is actually a radio edit.

The Future Sound of London - Cascade

Cascade (Part 1) at 0:22 samples the opening of Tri Atma und Gyan Nishabda - Mikrokosmos (album: Sehnsucht Und Einklang, 1982)

Cascade (Part 1) at 1:37 samples soprano vocals by Alexa Spielmann at 5:10 of Pete Namlook - Je Suis Triste Et Seul Ici (album: Air 1, 1993)

Cascade (Part 1) at 2:18 samples the opening of Cabaret Voltaire - Taxi Music Dub (1983)

Cascade (Part 2) at 5:21 samples the drum-break of Golden Earring - Radar Love (1973) at 3:12

Bryan Ferry - I Put a Spell on You [single remixes] (xx.03.1993)
Virgin - VSCDT 1400 / VSCDG 1400 / VSTDJ 1400

Bryan Ferry of Roxy Music, well... that's a weird choice for FSOL to remix, they probably accepted because Virgin connected them. Ferry is not bad per se, he's a decent singer with a fine taste, but in all of his experiments - it just feels like he never went all the way, it's always some kind of pop variants. The actual cover of Ferry is pretty cool track and a very good performance, but like I said, it's... pop...

The original 'I Put A Spell On You' is one of those tracks that is known by millions of people, and some of the covers are even better than the original. The original is by Screamin' Jay Hawkins, written in 1956, released in 1957 for OKeh - it's basically a love song gone wrong. After that, we have brilliant covers by Nina Simone, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bryan Ferry, Sonique, Jeff Beck, and even Marilyn Manson - it's a pure classic tune that transcends musical styles.

The Bryan Ferry cover is from his 1993 album Taxi (for Virgin) and these single-remixes probably came out earlier than Cascade & Ephidrena, probably somewhere in March but I can't follow the chronology that precise so - here we are... This is one of those remixes that don't have much in common with the original, or the cover in this case - or I should say, the track is totally different. It has a dark feel, a trippy beat and some brilliant background ambiance. You can still feel the transition from Accelerator to Ephidrena to Lifeforms...

2. I Put A Spell On You (Yage Mix) [5:21] / Remix – The Future Sound Of London
4. I Put A Spell On You (Yage Mix Long Version) [10:04] / Remix – The Future Sound Of London

Bryan Ferry - I Put a Spell on You

- An interesting thing can be heard on the original cover, around 2:38 the background sounds will appear on the FSOL track Tokyo Travel (which is a 1992/93 track) that finally officially appears on Archive 5 in 2008.

Bryan Ferry - I Put a Spell on You (Yage Mix Long Version)

The Shamen - Different Drum [remix album] (1993)
One Little Indian - TPLP42CDR / TPLP42R / TPLP42CR

The Shamen were a psychedelic rock band that experimented in electronic music too. The original name of the track is Re:Evolution, from the Boss Drum (1992) album. The original and the remix are narrated by Terence McKenna, and if you don't know who this guy is, here's what Discogs says about him: "Psychedelic techno-shaman, writer, botanist, geologist, hashish smuggler, English teacher, philosopher."

The original is breaks driven beat with some old-school house elements. The FSOL mix is more layed back, they left the ramblings of McKenna in the front all the way. He talks for 5 minutes and FSOL just do some minimal soundscapes in the background. You could say the mix starts at 5:00 and goes on to the end. Very ambiental, very cool mix - a true trip.

10. Re:Iteration (FSOL Mix) [8:42]

The Shamen - Re:Evolution

The Shamen - Re:Iteration (FSOL Mix)

The Shamen - Re:Iteration (FSOL Mix) (at 0:20) samples a pitched up voice from Peter Gabriel - In Doubt (at 0:34) from the album Passion (Music for The Last Temptation of Christ, 1989)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1993.3 (Kiss 3)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 3 [radio mix] (04.11.1993)
- bootleg / first official release 15.11.2008, currently unavailable

November in 1993 was the perfect month - every Thursday night Kiss 100 FM in London transmitted 3 hours of electronic ambient journeys that would change the view on music for lots of kids, people, fans and some innocent bystanders that plugged on the Kiss frequency by mistake.

The level of mixing is, naturally, even better now, and it's becoming hard to tell where does one track end and another begins. FSOL start to often use short 40-50 second snippets of tracks (or maybe even original field recordings) just for ambiance and environmental transitions from track to track, so some time-stamps may be wrong or some may be (in some rare cases) omitted entirely. And tons of TV/movie snippets between and into the tracks.

Again, lots of exclusive unreleased FSOL material in the next transmission, and a nice sum of questionmarks too :)

So, Kiss Mix 3, deconstructed and explained - read away! (and don't forget to Listen...)
(scroll to the end of the post to see just the tracklist)

Tracklisting:

Kiss 100 FM Transmission 3 (Part 1) (89:40)

00:00 Transmission Intro
- Room 208 samples, lots of environments and spoken samples...

00:48 - Freeman Lowell - "I suggest that you reach deep down inside yourself... " - (from Silent Running, 1972)
- Bruce Dern as Freeman Lowell in the legendary sci-fi movie Silent Running ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/ )

02:09 Atom Heart – Pure Function - (after 6 am, 1993)
- Uwe Schmidt (from Frankfurt, Germany), also known as Atom™, Atom Heart, or Señor Coconut, is a German composer, musician and producer of electronic music. He is often regarded as the father of electrolatino, electrogospel and aciton (acid-reggaeton) music.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Atom-Heart-Pure- ... ase/148240 )

03:45 Peter Gabriel - Quiet and Alone - (Geffen Records, 1985)
- The lead vocalist and flautist of the progressive rock band Genesis finally goes ambient after 4 self-titled albums.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-Bi ... se/1307561 )

06:03 ????? - ?????

06:27 - Freeman Lowell - "You don't think that it's time that somebody cared enough to have a dream?... " - (from Silent Running, 1972)
- Bruce Dern as Freeman Lowell in the legendary sci-fi movie Silent Running ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067756/ )

07:04 ????? - ????? - jazz piece?

08:16 Depth Charge - Silver Dub - (Silver Fox Records, 1991)
- Well known for his pioneering use of samples, particularly from cult films in the martial arts, spaghetti western and pornographic genres. Jonathan Saul Kane is often credited for inventing "trip-hop" and "big beat"; he used kung-fu film samples before Wu-Tang Clan.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Depth-Charge-Dep ... ease/28949 )

10:42 - ????? - ????? - spoken sample from some synced kung-fu b-movie, hilarious... maybe another Depth Charge track?

11:32 Junior Homrich with Brian Gascoigne - Main Titles / Tomme Goes Missing / Tomme And Kachiri - (Varese Sarabande, 1985)
- From the 1985 soundtrack The Emerald Forest - this was the favorite movie to my parents, I've seen it 20 times at least - very good movie and very good soundtrack. I downloaded the soundtrack just to re-check this track.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Junior-Homrich-W ... ase/516017 )

12:35 The Space Cadets – Stotinki (Transglobal Underground Mix) - (Nation Records, 1993)
- One song project of Aki Nawaz and Harri Kakoulli. Aki is a British Asian musician/rapper who grew up in Bradford. He co-wrote some songs and played drums with 'Southern Death Cult', known then as Haq Qureshi, but is best known as the main member of Islamic rock/rap/electronic group Fun-Da-Mental as Aki Nawaz/Propa-Gandi.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Various-Global-S ... ase/223242 )
- "You will awake, now" - sample floating around here...

17:10 Sound Clash Republic – One Monitor Shy (Part 2) [Sped-Up version] - (Shiva Shanti, 1993)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Soundclash-Repub ... ase/336668 )

21:53 - Dr. Dave Bowman - "Well, he acts like he has genuine emotions..." - (from 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1968)
- Keir Dullea as Dr. Dave Bowman in the legendary sci-fi movie 2001: A Space Odyssey ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622 )

22:36 Reload - The Enlightenment - (Infonet, 1993) - Global Communication alias
- Reload was originally a Mark Pritchard solo project. Later Tom Middleton joined Mark on some of his Reload releases, and "& E621" (the name of a chemical flavor enhancer) was added to specify Middleton's involvement/flavor enhancement on a track (similar to the set-up with "Link & E621"). As Tom became more heavily involved on the Reload "A Collection of Short Stories" album, the "& E621" was scrapped, and Reload came to mean both Mark Pritchard and Tom Middleton.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Reload-A-Collect ... ease/44709 )

23:03 - Freeman Lowell - "I have to make an announcement..." - (from Silent Running, 1972)

24:26 ????? - ?????

25:35 - Chingachgook - "Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun..." - (The Last of the Mohicans, 1992)
- Russell Means as Chingachgook in The Last of the Mohicans ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/ )

26:20 Amorphous Androgynous - Mountain Goat - (Quigley Records, 1993)

30:30 The Future Sound of London - Cascade - (Virgin, 1993)

36:20 ????? - ?????

38:58 Rabbit In The Moon - Dubassex (Ambient Beat Mix) - (Hallucination, 1993)
- Can't find this exact version, so maybe FSOL did mixed it a little - very weird and very cool track.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Rabbit-In-The-Mo ... ase/107003 )

46:14 Phil Thornton - Colonade (The Summoning) - (Expandisongs, 1983)
- ( http://www.philthornton.com/web/Albums/flying_e.php )
- Another one of those artists whose website is stuck in 1997 :)

49:42 Ross 154 - Remembrance - (Eevo Lute Muzique, 1993)
- Jochem Peteri is a Dutch producer and DJ of experimental electronic music.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Ross-154-Fragments/release/4500 )

52:59 The Future Sound of London - Vit - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

57:11 The Future Sound of London - Black & Blue & Green - (unreleased, from the ISDN sessions/outtakes)

58:41 Delia Derbyshire & Barry Bermange - Dreams (Colours) - (BBC, 1964)
- This is what inspired the previous unreleased FSOL track...
- Delia was an English musician and composer of electronic music and musique concrète. She is best known for her electronic realization of Ron Grainer's theme music to the British science fiction television series Doctor Who and for her work with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.
- ( )

59:53 Klaus Schulze - Bayreuth Return - (Brain, 1975)
- Timewind is really a masterpiece! even though FSOL used just a tiny snippet here...
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Klaus-Schulze-Ti ... ease/76120 )

1:00:37 - Dr. Frank Poole - "Well, it's exactly like being asleep. You have absolutely no sense of time..." - (from 2001: A Space Oddysey, 1968)
- Gary Lockwood as Dr. Frank Poole in the legendary sci-fi movie 2001: A Space Odyssey ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622 )

1:00:37 Stephen Mallinder - Pow-Wow - (Fetish Records, 1982) - from Cabaret Voltaire
- Mallinder is one of the founders of Cabaret Voltaire, but he left them in 1990 and continued solo, because Cabaret Voltaire didn't used vocals in this period.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Stephen-Mallinde ... ease/29042 )

1:03:00 ????? - ?????

1:04:08 - Freeman Lowell - "The difference is that I grew it..." - (from Silent Running, 1972)

1:04:42 ????? - ?????

1:05:57 Joe Gibbs & The Professionals - Power Pack - (Joe Gibbs Music, 1979)
- Influential and prolific reggae producer. Employed Lee Perry and then Winston 'Niney' Holness as engineers before forming Mighty Two, The, a long-term collaboration with engineer Errol Thompson.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Joe-Gibbs-The-Pr ... se/2944664 )

1:08:43 ????? - ????? - some echoed Chinese themes... reminds me of Jarre, or Vangelis maybe...

1:10:20 The Orb - Back Side of The Moon - (Big Life, 1991)
- Well, it's only the group that's credited for inventing the ambient house genre...
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Orb-The-Orbs-Adv ... ease/13265 )
- ( )

1:13:03 Killing Joke - Requiem (A Floating Leaf Always Reaches The Sea Dub Mix) - (Virgin, 1992)
- The remix was made by Thrash (from The Orb) and Greg Hunter.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Killing-Joke-Cha ... ase/447503 )
- ( )

1:14:54 Cabaret Voltaire - Belly of The Beast (Back in Babylon) - (Plastex, 1993)
- What an awesome awesome track!
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Cabaret-Voltaire ... ease/54153 )

1:17:57 Throbbing Gristle - In The Shadow of The Sun (Part 2) - (Illuminated Records, 1984)
- Established in 1975, the band is widely viewed, along with contemporaries Cabaret Voltaire, as having created the industrial music genre.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Throbbing-Gristl ... ase/233642 )

1:19:51 Peter Gabriel - Lazarus Raised - (Geffen Records, 1989)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-Pa ... se/2194771 )

1:20:33 - HAL 9000 - "It can only be attributable to human error..." - (from 2001: A Space Oddysey, 1968)
- Douglas Rain as HAL 9000 in the sci-fi movie 2001: A Space Oddysey.

1:21:21 ????? - ?????

1:22:55 The Future Sound of London - Bird Wings - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

1:24:33 The Future Sound of London - Dead Skin Cells - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

1:28:53 ????? - ?????

1:29:41 End (of Part 1)

Kiss 100 FM Transmission 3 (Part 2) (91:28)

00:00 ????? - ????? - environments and a piano piece...

01:26 Hawkwind - The Forge of Vulcan - (Charisma, 1977)
- One of the earliest space rock groups. Their lyrics favor urban and science fiction themes. They are considered a key link between the hippie and punk cultures. Also known as the home band of Lemmy, before he created Motorhead.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Hawkwind-Quark-S ... se/3977387 )

04:07 ????? - ?????

05:28 Brian Eno & David Byrne - The Carrier - (Sire, 1981)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-David- ... ease/27566 )

09:01 The Future Sound of London - Cascade Part 4 [aka Elaborate Burn] - (Virgin, 1993)

13:10 The Future Sound of London - Cerebral - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

17:01 Air - Arc - (Fax +49-69/450464, 1993) - Pete Namlook alias
- Namlook was one of the most influential figures of electronic and ambient music in the 1990s. Inspired by Oskar Sala, one of the pioneers of electronic music, Namlook focused on the untapped potential of analogue synthesizers, often developed or extended in his laboratory.
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Air-Air/release/16573 )

21:33 Silence - Santur - (Fax +49-69/450464, 1992) - Pete Namlook & Dr. Atmo alias
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Silence-Silence/release/16572 )

24:02 ????? - ????? - some echoed vocals make a connection to the next track...

24:31 Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - The Challenge (Part Two) - (KK Records, 1992)
- Mysterious formation from Holland (Tilburg), specialised in blends of deep techno, subtle trance and ambient soundscapes, mostly redefining the adjective 'tribal'.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/PWOG-Ov-Biospher ... ase/129963 )

28:28 ????? - ????? - psychedelic guitar overlaps with the previous track

29:23 ????? - ????? - Predator samples and some weird environments

30:51 Daniel Lanois - El Conquistador - (Real World Records, 1993)
- Canadian producer/engineer, working closely with the Eno/Budd duo on their albums.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Various-Plus-Fro ... ase/595050 )

31:52 DJ Food - Ninja Walk - (Ninja Tune, 1992)
- Going together with the previous track, serving as a beat layer.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Food-Jazz-Bra ... ease/31124 )

33:25 Mind Over Rhythm - ‎The Crossing - (Rumble Records, 1992)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Mind-Over-Rhythm ... ease/45398 )

36:18 The Future Sound of London - Omnipresence (Intro) - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

37:15 Piece - Free Your Soul [Future] - (Planet E, 1992) - Carl Craig short-lived alias
- Carl Craig was a key player in Detroit techno's second wave, following the futuristic lead of originators Derrick May and Juan Atkins, and eventually collaborating with May. He began recording at the turn of the 1990's, using a number of aliases to release innovative ambient, techno, breakbeat and future jazz sounds.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Piece-Free-Your- ... ease/33015 )

40:32 Fats Comet - Rockchester / O.K. Bye! - (World Records, 1986)
- Fats Comet was an industrial hip-hop group formed by Keith LeBlanc, Skip McDonald, Adrian Sherwood and Doug Wimbish. The members eventually shifted their focus to another project Tackhead, under which they continue to produce music.
- 'OK Bye' samples are used in We Have Explosive, the longform single.
- ( )
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Fats-Comet-Rockc ... se/2240636 )

43:40 Caustic Window – On The Romance Tip [played at 33rpm] - (Rephlex, 1992)
- Slowed down Aphex Twin, and then some Miles Davis... a brilliant touch!
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Caustic-Window-J ... se/1087284 )
- ( )

43:59 - Dr. Arnold Mayer - "Our negligence today is producing a world in which our children's children..." - (from Millennium, 1989)
- Daniel J. Travanti as Dr. Arnold Mayer in Millennium ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097883 )

47:25 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches - (Columbia, 1959)
- One of the very few people in the history of music that managed to invent new direction/genre in music more than once!
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Kind ... se/1353040 )

48:25 The Orb - Plateau + O.O.B.E. (Live '93) - (Island Records, 1993)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Orb-Live-93/release/13938 )

52:05 - Freeman Lowell - "Just sit down and shut up..." - (from Silent Running, 1972)

53:54 Plaid - Scoobs in Colombia - (Black Dog Productions, 1991)
- Plaid is generally described as IDM and has been referred to by some critics as "post-techno." They are known to employ a variety of time-signatures in their music and often create syncopated beats and melodies using a variety of real instruments and samples.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Plaid-Mbuki-Mvuki/release/22422 )

56:23 ????? - ?????

59:28 The Future Sound of London - Domain - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

1:02:08 ????? - ?????

1:05:25 ????? - ????? - funky flutes 'en shit :)

1:09:30 Cabaret Voltaire - Yashar - (Factory, 1983)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Cabaret-Voltaire ... ease/43947 )

1:10:03 A Certain Ratio - Sounds Like Something Dirty - (Factory, 1985)
- English post-punk band formed in 1977 in Wythenshawe, Manchester. While originally part of the punk rock movement, they soon added funk and dance elements to their sound.
- ( )
- ( https://www.discogs.com/A-Certain-Ratio ... ease/28554 )

1:13:09 Delia Derbyshire & Barry Bermange - Falling - (BBC, 1964)
- Members from the legendary BBC Radiophonic Workshop.
- ( )

1:13:35 Kitaro - The Field - (Geffen, 1987)
- Co-produced by Grateful Dead drummer, Mickey Hart, 'The Light of the Spirit' blends cinematic melodies and images from nature to explore spiritual aspects of the life cycle (includes the Grammy nominated song, 'The Field').
- ( )

1:14:38 Hubert Parry - I Was Glad (Psalm 122), anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra) - (composed in 1902)
- Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, 1st Baronet (1848–1918) was an English composer, teacher and historian of music.
- Can't place the exact version, but the composition is amazing.
- ( )

1:15:05 The Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II (Beatless Mix) - (Warp Records, 1993)
- Dub-influenced leftfield electronic trio comprising Andrew Weatherall, Gary Burns, and Jagz Kooner.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Sabres-Of-Paradi ... ease/16466 )

1:18:06 Jon Hassell & Brian Eno - Ba-benzélé - (Editions EG, 1980)
- Composer/trumpeter Jon Hassell is the visionary creator of a style of music he describes as Fourth World, a mysterious, unique hybrid of music both ancient and digital, composed and improvised, Eastern and Western.
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/Jon-Hassell-Bria ... ease/15722 )

1:19:16 ????? - ????? - percussion track, sounds Indian...

1:20:22 - Freeman Lowell - "Just sit down and shut up..." - (from Silent Running, 1972)

1:20:46 AFX - .1993841 - (Rephlex, 1993)
- ( )
- ( http://www.discogs.com/AFX-Analogue-Bub ... lease/4701 )

1:23:10 ????? - ?????

1:25:30 The Future Sound of London - Eggshell - (unreleased, later on Virgin, 1994)

1:31:29 Transmission end

And here's a plain tracklist, for the fans that want to save it:
[+] Oooh and did you know that ...
Kiss 100 FM Transmission 3 (Part 1) (89:40)
00:00 Transmission Intro
00:48 - Freeman Lowell - "I suggest that you reach deep down inside yourself... " (from Silent Running, 1972)
02:09 Atom Heart – Pure Function (1993)
03:45 Peter Gabriel - Quiet and Alone (1985)
06:03 ????? - ?????
06:27 - Freeman Lowell - "You don't think that it's time that somebody cared enough to have a dream?... " (from Silent Running, 1972)
07:04 ????? - ?????
08:16 Depth Charge - Silver Dub (1991)
10:42 - ????? - ????? - spoken sample from some synced kung-fu b-movie, hilarious... maybe another Depth Charge track?
11:32 Junior Homrich with Brian Gascoigne - Main Titles / Tomme Goes Missing / Tomme And Kachiri (1985)
12:35 The Space Cadets – Stotinki (Transglobal Underground Mix) (1993)
17:10 Sound Clash Republic – One Monitor Shy (Part 2) [Sped-Up version] (1993)
21:53 - Dr. Dave Bowman - "Well, he acts like he has genuine emotions..." (from 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1968)
22:36 Reload - The Enlightenment (1993) - Global Communication alias
23:03 - Freeman Lowell - "I have to make an announcement..." (from Silent Running, 1972)
24:26 ????? - ?????
25:35 - Chingachgook - "Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun..." (The Last of the Mohicans, 1992)
26:20 Amorphous Androgynous - Mountain Goat (1993)
30:30 The Future Sound of London - Cascade (1993)
36:20 ????? - ?????
38:58 Rabbit In The Moon - Dubassex (Ambient Beat Mix) (1993)
46:14 Phil Thornton - Colonade (The Summoning) (1983)
49:42 Ross 154 - Remembrance (1993)
52:59 The Future Sound of London - Vit (unreleased until 1994)
57:11 The Future Sound of London - Black & Blue & Green (unreleased, from the ISDN sessions/outtakes)
58:41 Delia Derbyshire & Barry Bermange - Dreams (Colours) (1964)
59:53 Klaus Schulze - Bayreuth Return (1975)
1:00:37 - Dr. Frank Poole - "Well, it's exactly like being asleep. You have absolutely no sense of time..." (from 2001: A Space Oddysey, 1968)
1:00:37 Stephen Mallinder - Pow-Wow (1982) - from Cabaret Voltaire
1:03:00 ????? - ?????
1:04:08 - Freeman Lowell - "The difference is that I grew it..." (from Silent Running, 1972)
1:04:42 ????? - ?????
1:05:57 Joe Gibbs & The Professionals - Power Pack (1979)
1:08:43 ????? - ?????
1:10:20 The Orb - Back Side of The Moon (1991)
1:13:03 Killing Joke - Requiem (A Floating Leaf Always Reaches The Sea Dub Mix) (1992) - remix made by Thrash (from The Orb) and Greg Hunter.
1:14:54 Cabaret Voltaire - Belly of The Beast (Back in Babylon) (1993)
1:17:57 Throbbing Gristle - In The Shadow of The Sun (Part 2) (1984)
1:19:51 Peter Gabriel - Lazarus Raised (1989)
1:20:33 - HAL 9000 - "It can only be attributable to human error..." (from 2001: A Space Oddysey, 1968)
1:21:21 ????? - ?????
1:22:55 The Future Sound of London - Bird Wings (unreleased until 1994)
1:24:33 The Future Sound of London - Dead Skin Cells (unreleased until 1994)
1:28:53 ????? - ?????
1:29:41 End (of Part 1)

Kiss 100 FM Transmission 3 (Part 2) (91:28)
00:00 ????? - ?????
01:26 Hawkwind - The Forge of Vulcan (1977)
04:07 ????? - ?????
05:28 Brian Eno & David Byrne - The Carrier (1981)
09:01 The Future Sound of London - Cascade Part 4 [aka Elaborate Burn] (1993)
13:10 The Future Sound of London - Cerebral (unreleased until 1994)
17:01 Air - Arc (1993) - Pete Namlook alias
21:33 Silence - Santur (1992) - Pete Namlook & Dr. Atmo alias
24:02 ????? - ?????
24:31 Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - The Challenge (Part Two) (1992)
28:28 ????? - ?????
29:23 ????? - ?????
30:51 Daniel Lanois - El Conquistador (1993)
31:52 DJ Food - Ninja Walk (1992)
33:25 Mind Over Rhythm - ‎The Crossing (1992)
36:18 The Future Sound of London - Omnipresence (Intro) (unreleased until 1994)
37:15 Piece - Free Your Soul [Future] (1992) - Carl Craig alias
40:32 Fats Comet - Rockchester / O.K. Bye! (1986)
43:40 Caustic Window – On The Romance Tip [played at 33rpm] (1992)
43:59 - Dr. Arnold Mayer - "Our negligence today is producing a world in which our children's children..." (from Millennium, 1989)
47:25 Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches (1959)
48:25 The Orb - Plateau + O.O.B.E. (Live '93) (1993)
52:05 - Freeman Lowell - "Just sit down and shut up..." (from Silent Running, 1972)
53:54 Plaid - Scoobs in Colombia (1991)
56:23 ????? - ?????
59:28 The Future Sound of London - Domain - (unreleased until 1994)
1:02:08 ????? - ?????
1:05:25 ????? - ?????
1:09:30 Cabaret Voltaire - Yashar (1983)
1:13:09 Delia Derbyshire & Barry Bermange - Falling (1964)
1:13:35 Kitaro - The Field (1987)
1:14:38 Hubert Parry - I Was Glad (Psalm 122), anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra) (composed in 1902)
1:15:05 The Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II (Beatless Mix) (1993)
1:18:06 Jon Hassell & Brian Eno - Ba-benzélé (1980)
1:19:16 ????? - ?????
1:20:22 - Freeman Lowell - "Just sit down and shut up..." (from Silent Running, 1972)
1:20:46 AFX - .1993841 (1993)
1:23:10 ????? - ?????
1:25:30 The Future Sound of London - Eggshell (unreleased until 1994)
1:31:29 Transmission end
Want to read about the other Kiss mix series? Click away:
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Test Transmission 1 [radio mix] (14.09.1992)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Test Transmission 2 [radio mix] (xx.10.1992)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 1 [radio mix] (26.12.1992)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 2 [radio mix] (19.05.1993)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 3 [radio mix] (04.11.1993) ( - it's this post.)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 4 [radio mix] (11.11.1993)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 5 [radio mix] (18.11.1993)
FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Transmission 6 [radio mix] (25.11.1993)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 am, edited 25 times in total.
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Pande-reviews: 1993.3 (Kiss 3)

Post by seedy »

haha ok now i'm freaking out a little bit

this thread started out with the early releases and now we're moving to the live release territory!

pretty cool for me as I'm just starting my journey through the pod room and tracking out these mp3s

SO....the question is - do we have a nice complete as can be list anywhere?
I was using Ross's site but now I'm seeing we've ID'd many more since he's last updated.
Even Pande's list above seems to have additions being added in later posts?

Pande - do you have a pretty list in excel or something that you could email me?
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Also cheers to Codringher!

i've seen your site before and now i've met the man in charge!

i think i like fsol a tiny bit more but really it's very close to dead even
f'n LOVE me some orb!!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

As I said Seedy, I'm doing Brian and Gary chronology as completely as I can,
it doesn't matter if they released a single or a radio transmission, when the date comes they will be reviewed :)

As far as the Kiss Transmissions are concerned, I think the posts in this thread are the most complete to date, I started with the lists from Ross and updated them a LOT. First I tried to identify by ear, then by YouTube, then by YouTube uploads and copyright companies reporting the tracks they represent - and at last by SoundHound and and some other similar Android software for audio recognition - it has been exhausting...

The plan is - to leave the Kiss Transmissions on YouTube for 3-4 more months, so some random people can help up further with the tracklists, and by then Ross will officially update them on his site from this thread.

I can send you lists, but since I too am constantly editing the tracklists, I think you should wait for at least one more month :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

well the only issue for me now is that i'm burning these to disc and adding CD Text for any track i can ID

this way my CD player at home will display the track names when they come up ;)

with that i can only enter the best info i have today and once it's burned it's a done deal

if you have lists you could send that would be really awesome but please do not go out of your way to help me
if i have to i'll just piece together the posts in this thread to have the whole picture

:)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

WTF are you talking about Seedy,
I'll go out of my way any day for you :)

Just PM me your e-mail and I'll send the lists ASAP.