Bubble on vinyl?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
globalist
Hardhead

Bubble on vinyl?

Post by globalist »

Hi,

I'm new here and sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but -

1. Has the "Psychedelic Bubble" compilaton (any one of the 3 (?) volumes) been released on LP and if yes where to get it?
2. Are there just the 3 volumes? No Volume 4 yet?

Many thanks1
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Bubble on vinyl?

Post by dell1972 »

Hi, I don't believe a vinyl version of any of these were ever produced, CD or download only.
Of the cd series there is still only 3 volumes, though there was an additional one given away free with Mojo which I think was largely based upon Volume 3 (but included an Amorphous Androgynous recording of Oasis' Falling Down.
Here's a full tracklisting of that one:
http://www.discogs.com/Amorphous-Androg ... se/2088114

Of course there is the original series of radio broadcasts from about 1997 to 2006ish which were for a while for sale on fsoldigital.com as podcasts, but aren't any more due to licensing problems. There were 8 volumes of these, the last one being a podcast exclusive to fsoldigtal.com.
I am the eye that looks within
globalist
Hardhead

Post by globalist »

Very helpful, thanks!

Were the shows much different, content-wise, from the released CDs? I mean is there any point in looking for them around the internets?
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

They are quite different yes, and I'd say worth checking out. There is a degree of crossover in that some of the tracks on the CDs appeared on the original broadcasts, but it has to be remembered that I dont' think they really had to get much in the way of permission to get stuff included on broadcasts/podcasts, whereas with the CDs they had to spend a long time getting people on board and getting their trust. I guess that's the reason the likes of The Beatles, The Walker Brothers, Pink Floyd and Neil Young for example don't appear on the CD but do in the broadcasts.

Check out the tracklisting for the first and perhaps best broadcast:
http://www.secondthought.co.uk/fsol/9703.htm

Another favourite of mine is I think the third one which has some crazy Frank Zappa stuff on it and bizarrely Queen, both remixed by fsol.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

That first one is quite different to the rest, the band were still in Dead Cities mode at the time so it's quite dark in places and considerably more electronic than the others. It's also before a lot of their obscure discoveries so there's a lot more 60s stuff on it. It's by far my favourite of the MPB mixes.

The radio shows in general are a lot less tracky than the CDs, they work in a slightly soundscapey way rather than straight up DJ mixes.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

MPB1 - as Ross already said, it's the one with most similarities to their ISDN-sets from 94-96', sample-wise and in structure and atmosphere.
MPB2 - I like this one lot, lots of beautiful 60ies folk stuff on it and some weird track-transitions, e.g. the one where Chemical Brothers melts into Portishead.
MPB3 - My favourite one, it simply ROCKS from start to finish, the Zappa and Queen remixes are fantastic, a shame they never got official release.
MPB4 - Musically tasty as always but with strange and somewhat disturbing samples from old christian worship and church service recordings scattered throughout the mix.
MPB5 & MPB6 are quite similar to each other, as they worked as promo mixes for the 'Alice in Ultraland' album, so with lots of stuff from that album on them. They are both very enjoyable, couldn't say which one is better.
MPB7 - is the only one you can left out imo because it's like a radioshow with gaz and another guy talking psychedelic nonsens all the time all over the music, it's a bit an annoying listen for it's whole two hours.
MPB8 - 90 min mix, the obvious mix again 60ies stuff mixed with newer indie/electro stuff and without any weird blabbering all over it thankfully. This one's recommendable too.

All in all I would say the content of tracks known from the cd versions is about 40-50%, so this stuff is definitely a must if you enjoyed those.
Magnificient Insignificance