Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Pande-reviews: 1995.1 (BBC Essential Mix 2 + 3 remixes)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 amNow, there are a bunch of different releases that sho us that there is one more remix that has nothnig to do with Deseo. It's a track called Speed Deep that Jon Anderson and Deep Forest did together as a single in 1995. The original track is not bad at all, some Deep Forest styled electronics. The FSOL mix is much simpler than their Deseo mix, but a good trip nevertheless.
Just a quick update here (no idea why I'm doing it now), but to clarify: this track isn't actually a remix of Speed Deep, the only place it's referred to as that is Discogs, because... I dunno, Discogs users being super-strict on how remixes were credited back in the day. It's totally wrong, though. The track is Deseo Reconstruction #2 and is, as you say, a more stripped down version of their original Deseo track. It exists in three lengths: 6:19 (although I seem to have a 7:19 version from somewhere), 4:43 and a radio edit at around 3:12. But yeah, it's nothing to do with Speed Deep other than being on the same single with a slightly ambiguous looking tracklist.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Re: Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Post by Trigga Bo »

I can assume that "FSOL Deseo Reconstruction" is a mix (reconstruction) of FSOL, on tracks from the Jon Anderson album "Deseo"
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yes, I believe that's the case. Like most of the Deseo Remixes album, it remixes the whole record.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm glad this thread still gets referenced every now and then... years after the original posts were written.
It's actually pretty amazing to have written reminders like these :)

Are we ever gonna stop discovering new unknowns, samples, tracks ... probably not :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I've been using this thread as a very useful resource for my (so far totally underappreciated :P ) 'FSOL Multiverse' thread, so I'm still finding bits and bobs that contradict or add to what you've said (I've actually found a ton of other corrections, but they're for another day!).
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I've made my peace a long time ago that we'll never have the 'perfect' version, and will always need corrections :D
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2007.2 (FSOL - From The Archives Vol.2)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:37 pm 12 - Skinny Ribbed Fucker (4:12)
- Hmmm... another shady old track that probably didn't start as FSOL. The more obvious alias would be Humanoid or maybe Smart Systems. Why is this electro track here and not on (for example) By Any Other Name is anyones guess. The sampled vocals are interesting, from the robotic ones that sound like the Daleks to the one female singing in the back on the second half of the track. This is definitely 1991, if not earlier.
Just to clear this up, and surprise everyone, this track is from 1995.
99% sure the vocals are Gaz.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2007.6 (FSOL - From The Archives Vol.4)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 pm 06 - Wookii (4:16) (1994)
- A fairly repetitive track with less layers than the rest of the pieces here, and it still sounds nice. It's a hard one to place, could be the 1996 Dead Cities sessions, but more probable placement would be the late 1994 ISDN sessions - it just sounds like them.
A 1993 track - was part of an early Lifeforms tracklist, before turning up in an alternate mix on Environments.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2008.5 (FSOL - Environments II)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:50 pm09. Ice Formed [4:17] (1995)
- This one opens like a ISDN piece, but the glitchy nature of the track and the drums later are definitely from Dead Cities. Probably the most confusing track (for me) on this release. If I had to replace a track on this album it would be this one.
Just spotted the drums were also used in Gyrated which, amazingly, makes this part of the first post-Dead Cities sessions that lead to The Isness.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1992.7 (Kiss Test 1, Peel Session)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 pm FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Test Transmission 1 [radio mix] (14.09.1992)

Kiss 100 FM Test Transmission 1 (Part 4) (30:36)
-- 24:43 ????? - ?????
- The Mixmaster Morris Mix ends with this one.
The Irresistible Force - Mountain High
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1992.8 (Kiss Test 2)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:17 pm FSOL - Kiss 100 FM Test Transmission 2 [radio mix] (xx.10.1992)

Nobody knows the exact date of the second Kiss 100 FM Test Transmission, it's somewhere in October or maybe even November...
Listening to it today, I'm almost convinced this was the 26/12/92 show, as Yage and Cyberface talk a lot about looking back over 1992, looking on to 1993 and such. I think it's one of the 1993 shows that we actually lack a date for.
link343
Hardhead

Post by link343 »

Some notes on the ISDN VPRO broadcast:

The "We're Losing the War On Drugs" bit used during the ISDN tour and at the end of Fractional Difference is by Bill Hicks. Its from the track "The War on Drugs" from his first album, Dangerous. The acid bit at the end of slider is from that track too.

The drums on the unknown piece at 51 mins are sampled from The Crunge by Led Zeppelin, just sped up.

There's a Child's Play sample used on the mystery track before A Diversionary Tactic. Not sure what movie its from, probably the first or second one. Its the "I've come from the Good Guy Club House" sample

That WTF track at 70mins, I think the repeating synths at 70:59 is from the live version of "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads. The version on Stop Making Sense. Just pitched up slightly.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

@Ross - about Mountain High - how the hell did I missed that :)

@link343 - cool finds mate - are you new to the Board ?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Just bought some of the Pod Rooms that I never picked up first time round and in this era of full-on lockdown (especially here in London where I've not spoken to a 'real' person (i.e. not over video call or phone) for over a month), to me they're like the nearest thing to catching up with old friends: You know everything about them, but they reveal details you've not heard before and go in just slightly different tangents - all of which remind you of why're you're friends with them in the first place !
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1992.9 (Kiss Transmission 1)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 am 28:27 ????? - ????? - I know this one! Dammit...
Virgo (aka Virgo Four) – Take Me Higher