What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ross »

Ha no problem, it's bloody confusing.
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Been listening to a lot of Scott Walker over the last few days. I was very sad to hear of his passing, such a singular talent.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Devin Townsend - Empath

I've been enjoying this guy för quite some years now, and this album here is nothing more than his masterpiece, a totally insane, incredibly detailed production of a completely-over-the-top-progmetal record. Even quite some IDM-touches, but in a more metal-kind of way. For anyone, who is into metal, progrock, and the likes, this is an absolute must of an album. From progmetal to ambient to neoclassical choirs, musicals, to complete orchestral cosmic blastbeat-madness, this has to be played on huge speakers with volume turned up to 11 :)
Magnificient Insignificance
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I've been watching Beavis & Butthead :D and spotting bands from the videos.. there's seriously some pretty weird stuff there, hard to believe nowadays that MTV actually played this shit. Besides that..

Download: Unknown Room (Artoffact Records, 2019)

I guess everybody's familiar with this cEvin Key project.. nowhere near as good as III Steps Foreward or Effector, but a couple of stand-out tracks. RIP Phil Western (the other guy). 3.5/5.

Butthole Surfers: Independent Worm Saloon (Capitol, 1993)

The alt-rock legends are on it.. some pretty kick-ass guitarring (?) on this. Gotta love the Ministry "cover" (didn't know that they were connected like this).. 4/5.

Phylr: Halflife (Invisible, 1999)

Suprisingly good IDM/breaks/dnb stuff from Invisible (man love this label). Too bad this guy called it quits after this. 4-/5.

_______

There's more, but that it for now..
from the source flows the endless...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I've been getting into The Black Dog for the last few day, I had only heard Spanners years ago which I didn't care for at all.. then I found out that their new material is pretty different, so I decided to give it a shot..

GOD DAMN I LOVE THIS STUFF! Listening to Music For Real Airports now, Liber Dogma next.

I totally prefer these guys to Plaid.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Agreed - 'modern era' Black Dog is absolutely lovely
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Well it seems that MFRA was a bit of a one-shot (at least for me), none of the following albums comes close, but boy was that good.. Black Daisy Wheel was at least OK, didn't care for Liber Dogma at all.

The new Plaid is (surprisingly) pretty good, some of their best stuff since the Tekkonkinreet soundtrack IMO.

NP: Young Gods: Data Mirage Tangram (2019) :|
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I like most of the recent Black Dog albums, all mostly straight forward, detroit-influenced old school techno with hypnotic melodies. "Further Vexations" is my favourite, absolutely mesmerizing.

And I absolutely love "Spanners", one of my top ten electronic albums of the 90ies, it has an incredible atmosphere, a strange, haunting, occult sounding record.

And agreed, "Polymer" is fantastic, but so were the last few Plaid albums. "Dancers" is wonderful.
Magnificient Insignificance
RUPERO
Hardhead

Post by RUPERO »

i have been listening to Firehouse Five Plus Two
Last edited by RUPERO on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Recently:

Ride: This Is Not A Safe Place (2019)

UK shoegaze, well, legends. Loved the last EP, but I seriously don't understand how people rate this new stuff so highly, same thing with the new Slowdive. Not my cup of tea. Kinda predictable and stale. Meh/5.

Primitive Race: Cranial Matter (2019)

Remixes from less known industrial acts, some good tracks on this and it gets better towards the end. Angelspit and Ego Likeness mixes are dope. 3½/5.

Slow Crush: Aurora (2018)

Relatively new shoegaze band from Belgium (was it?). I'd choose this over the new Ride stuff anyday. The title track is gorgeous. 4+/5.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

This latest Ride record and the previous one have both had great moments, but I agree that they're just not consistent enough to really consider great.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Quite stuck on the Propellerheads album in the last week...
New discoveries: Paddy Steer, Regal Worm
Re-discovering: TNT by Tortoise, Quique by Seefeel, Mix Up by the Cabs
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Ross wrote:This latest Ride record and the previous one have both had great moments, but I agree that they're just not consistent enough to really consider great.
The new Ride and Slowdive stuff is closer to some boring adult contemporary and "psychedelic" rock than shoegaze IMO, definitely not how I got into them. All IMO of course. Far, far away from stuff like "Alison" or "Seagull".
Rob wrote:New discoveries: Paddy Steer, Regal Worm
These seem interesting, will check out.
Spryte.
Hardhead

Post by Spryte. »

r2101
Hardhead

Post by r2101 »

stumbled upon this beauty by accident...