What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by epitome »

Pandemonium wrote:
epitome wrote:Juno Reactor - The Mutant Theatre
And ? :)
Did you liked it ?

I really liked it, considering it's a trance-dance record.
They have a lot of the old-skool sound, but also new sounds, and the sound production is off the chart !
I like it a lot. I'm not usually into the dancier kind of stuff, but Juno Reactor is an exception for me.
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

three i'm currently enjoying are eternell - elysia http://eternell.net/album/elysia

and snufmumriko - dromboken

and seahawks - eternal beams https://oceanmoon.bandcamp.com/

the snufmumriko album is getting the most plays...has a really nice ambient/idm feel to it
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Fitness - Karate
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Orbital - Monsters Exist

Not exactly the return to "Snivilisation"/"In Sides"-era form I hoped it would be, but better than some of the first reviews suggested. There are no total failures like the titletrack and "beezledub" from Wonky, or some stuff from the blue album. After a few listens I even like "The end is nigh" a bit, although this one really tries a bit too hard to be on the hip side of things :)
There's excellent stuff on the second disc too like "Dressing up..." or "Dream again". "There will come a time" also works ALOT better without that annoying talking all over it.

I think I will make my own compilation of it with the good stuff from the second disc, should make a decent album of 75 mins length :)
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

On first listen, I might prefer the second disc actually. I honestly don't think we're going to get anything of 1990-1997 quality from them again, but as long as we don't get another Blue Album I'm happy. That said, The End is Nigh is down there with their most horrible tracks for me, along with Beelzedub and Acid Pants.
But yeah, Monsters Exist probably is their least 'immediate' album for a while - a lot less catchy and melodic than the singles suggested - but I reckon in time it'll sit comfortably alongside the best of their later work.

np Autumn of Communion - Autumn of Communion 4
If anyone here hasn't heard these guys before, they're well worth checking out - putting out some of the best '90s-inspired beat-laden ambient I've ever heard. Their debut was the last thing released on FAX before Namlook died, and they definitely keep the spirit of the label's peak years going, along with hints of other greats from the era (touches of Global Communication, Biosphere, even FSOL occasionally) without ever sounding derivative - they definitely have their own sound and still manage to sound contemporary.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

@autumn of communion - sounds interesting, will have a listen

Aphex Twin - Collapse EP

Yeah, quite good. 10/10 ;)

Thomas Fehlmann - Los Lagos

Very very good. A bit more experimental than Honigpumpe & Gute Luft, this makes it a more "interesting" listen than the previous two, with which I tended to fall asleep after repeated listenings when I knew them inside out. Although I think they are also very good.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Crippled Black Phoenix - Great Escape

Ancestors - Suspended in Reflections
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

International Debris - Ambisphere, Myosphere, Holosphere
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Orbital - Monsters Exist

I have to say I'm really enjoying the album overall. It has a lot of the classic Orbital hallmarks that Wonky was missing. The only track that doesn't click with me is Buried Deep Within, which feels a little insubstantial. Not bad though just a bit nothing-y. I must be one of the few who really likes the non instrumental version of There Will Come A Time. The second disc is mostly great as well actually. In fact the only thing I really don't like is the remix of Tiny Foldable Cities.

Various Artists - Space, Energy & Light

Compilation of weird and interesting pieces of electronic music between 1961 - 1988. Some really interesting stuff here well worth checking out. Loads of names I didn't recognise and a couple I did.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Buried Deep Within really does feel like half a song, I keep waiting for it to go somewhere and then it ends.
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Ross wrote:Buried Deep Within really does feel like half a song, I keep waiting for it to go somewhere and then it ends.
That's exactly it! I just thought "Oh, is that it?" Still, with much of the material being no less than stellar the album can take one track like that.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Just recently I listened to the whole Wonky-album for the first time and was surprised how good it actually is, except for the titletrack and beezledub of course, but the rest seems to me highly enjoyable, a bit very light-hearted at times but much better than I always thought.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I like Wonky a lot, particularly 'One Big Moment', 'New France', 'Distractions' and 'Stringy Acid'. But it definitely feels related to their early '00s material in terms of being fairly poppy and not having much of the more epic stuff of their '90s material, which Monsters Exist is definitely moving towards, if not fully reaching.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Syntax - Tripolar

This came out 6 years ago and I only just found out about it.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

epitome wrote:Syntax - Tripolar

This came out 6 years ago and I only just found out about it.
Holy shit! I only found out about Syntax this year and been listening to Meccano Mind like crazy. I'm a huge Fluke fan, so needless to say this was a pleasant surprise. Somehow I missed this too, gonna grab ASAP!

I've been on a 70's-80's post-punk and tip lately, listening to bands like The Damned and T.S.O.L. ( :mrgreen: ).. the albums are kinda hit and miss, some good stuff and some terrible :)

Earlier I was getting into Fugazi, dEUS (love these guys!) and other 90's alternative stuff I'd totally forgotten about..
from the source flows the endless...