What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Dennis »

Damn, these tunes are awesome.

Magnificient Insignificance
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

It´s unbelievable what complex music he squeezed out of the NES-soundchip for example (don´t know, if the NES even had something like a "soundchip" :) ):

Edit: Ok, I think the NES had a soundchip. But anyways, Tim Follin was the master.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Haha, of course the NES had a sound chip - the APU is pretty much as famous (if not more so than the C64s SID chip)
But yep Tim Follin has wowed me since about age 6 with this beast:

and for more 'Environment'-style meanderings, I've recently fallen in love with this SNES OST by him:

tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Friske - Sustain (drum'n'bass)
Zos Kia - 23 (pre-Coil stuff)
In A Mindset - (everything I could get my hands on, pretty good IDM)
Scum Of The Earth - (both albums, Rob Zombie side project)
Sully - I Have Much To Report (forgotten shogaze/indie/synth group, pretty cool)

Currently I'm hunting down all the obscure darkstep/atmospheric dnb releases I might have missed.. good shit of this kind sure don't grow on trees.
from the source flows the endless...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Four Tet - New Energy

Nice. Best album he´s done since "There´s Love In You" and his most ambient one up to date. Definitive worth a listen.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Neil Young - Guitar Solo, No. 5
Dead Man OST (1996)

One of those movie soundtracks of which the listening experience is at least as good as watching the actual movie! The simple riffs in the second half of this piece are epic.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

From the Archives Vol 7

Slightly bittersweet for me as, on the plus side, I'm loving it, it might be my favourite of the Archive releases... But it now means I have finally caught up and listened to everything FSOL have released (except the new EP with the Ramblings book).
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Ah wow, congrats on completing the collection! Does that include all the early EPs, ISDN transmissions and remixes?
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

It does include all the EPs and (I believe) all the remixes. But it doesn't include all the ISDN transmissions - in fact, I still have most of those to delve into, so thank you for reminding me :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

dEUS - (listening the albums chronologically)
Nitzer Ebb - The Industrial Complex
UNKLE - The Road
A Certain Ratio - Mind Made Up
Primitive Race - Soul Pretender
FFWD - FFWD (what a find!)
from the source flows the endless...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

tryptych wrote: FFWD - FFWD (what a find!)
Oh yeah, absolute magical record. Haven´t heard it for ages. Fripp is Frippering his Frippertronics, Weston & Fehlmann provide otherworldy production skills, and Paterson ahem... provides a sample or two (and a family-sized-package of Acid for all I guess :) ) A rerelease of this is long overdue.

"They don´t make them like this anymore!" :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Stephan Micus - Desert Poems

A superb artist on the ECM label who basically travels the world and learns how to play obscure instruments from people in their native countries - usually folk musicians, rather than professionals - and then uses this huge bank of musical knowledge to create totally unique albums that tie together cultural influences from all around the world. His reverence and respect for the instruments and their cultures puts him head and shoulders above the questionable attitudes of typical new age musicians who pilfer foreign cultures to sound exotic.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Sand Sound Folly - Salient Moons 1973

It's been a while since I listened to this - really love it though.
xerkon
Hardhead

Post by xerkon »

Hi Everyone! Been a fan of FSOL since '94 but haven't posted here much due to years and years of depression stealing my joy, but am feeling a bit better lately so maybe I'll be here more. That's all beside the point. My favorite album of the last 3 years is F*** Buttons - Slow Focus. It's not for everyone but I can't get tired of it. My favorite song is The Red Wing. Check it out!
Concept
Tingler

Post by Concept »

Cool. I'll check it out later.

I just found out the wonders of Electric Sheep on youtube, so it'll probably combo well with what you mention.

Lately, I've been going back into the past a little and refreshing what helped shape my mind today. There was a period in drum and bass, betweem '94 and '99, where there were so many fantastic things happening. Teebee's Black Science Labs and Photek's Modus Operandi have been in rotation, same with Dysnomia by Dawn of Midi (not d'n'b, more recent). I love the way the texture changes so elegantly in waves.

Other things? I revisited Moulettes and discovered they'd put some new stuff out there. They're folk with a lot of other stuff from in. Same with Clark (un-UK, yeah).