What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ross »

RazorJack wrote:Underworld - King Of Snake
Pretty sure that Underworld understood how to mix and master their work back in the nineties.
I dunno, compare the two versions of Dubnobass for an example of when a remaster really brings an album new life...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah was gonna say - Absolutely incredible remaster, everything is just so clear ! Could be mixing it up with the Global Communication 76:14 remaster (or they both did it this way) but I think they went back to the original midi files and ran everything through a brand spanking new mastering chain rather than [possibly cheap] 90s stuff
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, that's correct, I believe Rick did that himself.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

The long awaited Irresistible Force album just came out - and two tracks in - it sounds rather nice and trippy :)

I hope he get some wide audience with this one...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Pandemonium wrote:The long awaited Irresistible Force album just came out - and two tracks in - it sounds rather nice and trippy :)

Ohh, cool. I absolutely love the his albums from the 90ies. Have to get this.

np: Motorpsycho - "The Tower" - Oh. my. God. This is sooo good. It´s like their 17th album or so, and they still deliver without any flaws. 2CD´s full of 70ies-influenced spacy, trippy, psych-,prog-,stoner-, whatever stuff that just fucking ROCKS. This record is heaven sent, not any weak minute. These guys are god.

Mogwai - Every Country´s Sun - Also fantastic new album with only 2 or 3 slightly weaker tracks, these guys can´t do wrong. I especially love "Party in the dark", probably their best song with vocals so far, very shoegazy.

Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson - Nice new album, less unnerving than previous efforts, more lo fi sounding in a good way - quite mellow and cozy sounding with the usual sunday AM sunshine retro radiowave vibes, i like that very much.
Magnificient Insignificance
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Dennis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:The long awaited Irresistible Force album just came out - and two tracks in - it sounds rather nice and trippy :)

Ohh, cool. I absolutely love the his albums from the 90ies. Have to get this.

np: Motorpsycho - "The Tower" - Oh. my. God. This is sooo good. It´s like their 17th album or so, and they still deliver without any flaws. 2CD´s full of 70ies-influenced spacy, trippy, psych-,prog-,stoner-, whatever stuff that just fucking ROCKS. This record is heaven sent, not any weak minute. These guys are god.

Mogwai - Every Country´s Sun - Also fantastic new album with only 2 or 3 slightly weaker tracks, these guys can´t do wrong. I especially love "Party in the dark", probably their best song with vocals so far, very shoegazy.

Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson - Nice new album, less unnerving than previous efforts, more lo fi sounding in a good way - quite mellow and cozy sounding with the usual sunday AM sunshine retro radiowave vibes, i like that very much.
I'm gonna give all of these a shot, sounds interesting.

Some recent finds:

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream

I've seen them live and wasn't too impressed, but I heard "Other Voices" on the radio this morning and loved it. 5 songs in, pretty decent so far.

Man Or Astroman?
- all oftheir stuff

These guys suddenly popped into my head when thinking about the 90's MTV night time stuff. Had to get 'em. Seems so crazy now that MTV actually played stuff like this back then.

Eraldo Bernocchi & Shinkiro - In Search Of Shadows

Moody, dark & organic sounding IDM stuff, pretty dope.

Land - Anoxia

Dark ambient w/ tribal style drumming. Was pleasantly surprised. This guy's been around for years anyway, it's about time for him a make an album.
from the source flows the endless...
Ross

Post by Ross »

New Irresistible Force is ok, nothing on it particularly grabs my attention though. Feels almost self-consciously stylised.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Tangerine Dream - Quantum Gate
The first proper album in four years, and first since Edgar's death, so it has high expectations, and just about meets them. The last few EPs have been excellent and this follows in similar style. 'Non-Locality Destination' really feels like it should be one of those of fairly poor cupdiscs Edgar was throwing out around 2011, but otherwise everything on this is pretty strong. My only real complaint would be not enough Hoshiko. Her presence on the Quantum Key EP was one of its real highlights, but she's pushed to the back here a lot.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Just noticed you commented on the new TD album. Did they actually manage to deliver a physical release to you? This week was supposed to see a plethora of releases (albums, EPs, books, DVDs) marking the band's 50th anniversary. I've got precisely bugger all here. Tumbleweed. Nada. Zip.

Didn't realise Mixmaster Morris had snuck a new album out recently. Last I'd heard of him he was in dire financial straits.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

Did you order the signed ones? Those are shipping late apparently (the Eastgate machine operating as badly as ever there). I bought the K-Scope release of QG from CDS instead, arrived on release day. Will be picking up Sessions and Light Flux somewhere down the line, but too much TD at once just gets a bit... much.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

No fancy pants options, I just ordered the stuff from the Pledge Music site - had to double check my emails to be sure I actually ordered it and didn't just dream it.

I should have gone through CDS, there's a whiff of dog blanket about their website but they are ruthlessly efficient about posting stuff out. I think they'll post the Light Flux thingy whenever they finally release Edgar's bio.
Ross

Post by Ross »

The bio's out, people are talking about it over on The Zest group on Facebook.

Some people have received their Pledge stuff, I suppose it's just a lot of stuff to go through and come from Germany.
CDS are pretty pricey but you do get your stuff at least.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I'll believe it when I see it, that book looks massive. I guess I won't be reading it on the bus to work. I'll look forward to about a thousand pages on how Chris Franke was only good for getting the tea and biscuits in the studio and was an all round cad and bounder.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Fourteen days it's taken for the first two albums to appear. Seems to have been posted in the UK first class as well, so presumably they sent it yesterday. Good effort Pledgemusic (slow handclaps).

Not expecting the book (and the third album) any time soon, they said it might take a month to post.

Still it gave me ample opportunity to give the Quaeschning/Schnauss album without the TD name a proper listen. Very enjoyable.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Just realized that the guy who made the brilliant title tunes from zx spectrum games chronos & agent x (which I absolutely loved back in the days :) ) made a lot of other videogame-musics from c64 to mega-drive. I think especially this one here is friggin´genius:

Magnificient Insignificance