Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Kengine
Hardhead

Re: Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Post by Kengine »

Thank you for the warm welcome. It's awesome to see others even discussing these epic FSOL albums nowadays. I agree, ISDN is a truly amazing album. After falling in love with Papua New Guinea from the soundtrack, I purchased Lifeforms as soon as it was released. I had many other ambient albums but nothing even came close to it. The amount of intricacy and layers to the music was purely masterful. I was absolutely blown away by it, and was hooked. I ended up getting the ISDN album but at first I wasn't as blown away as I was when first listening to Lifeforms. My friends and I spent many LSD sessions over the years listening to Lifeforms, Expander, and ISDN. FSOL became my goto comedown music to listen to with headphones after the insanity of countless rave, club, and festival nights. So much so that it became a sort of "mental security blanket" to me. If ever things were getting out of control I could always put throw my headphones on, pop on FSOL and all of the negative energy of a bad trip would flow away in an almost shamanistic way. As time passed I found myself listening to ISDN more and more, and realized it is just as much a masterpiece as Lifeforms ever was. I still habitually listen to FSOL to this day and always will.

P.S. - On a side note, I grew up in Bedford UK in the 80's. In 1991, at the airport before the flight over to the US where I live now, I grabbed a music magazine to read on the plane. The magazine had a question in it asking if you were to die and be in heaven and you could only have one album to listen to for eternity, which would you choose? I spent many years thinking about the answer to this question. What could I possibly spend eternity listening to as my single source of music? I tried to think of albums that would cover the various styles of sound to suit whichever mood I may be in. Some days I'd like to hear a song with a beat, others something a bit more chill. Finally after many years of thought, I had come to a definite conclusion... ISDN.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Are you aware of the stuff the band put in the Pod Room on fsoldigital.com ?

http://www.fsoldigital.com/product-category/pod/

Amongst the shows available are mp3 downloads of The Kitchen (NY) – 11/05/94 and VPRO (Netherlands) – 09/09/94 from which a large part of ISDN appears to be derived. It's a bit like having two extended versions of the album. There's quite a few very illuminating shows in the Pod Room, sadly not quite as much as there used to be though due to licensing problems.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yes, those two shows are perfect for understanding how ISDN came together - the earlier one is much more based around the ambient side of it, the overlap with Lifeforms (You're Creeping Me Out, the full eight minute It's My Mind That Works), while the later show is a lot darker and more percussive.

To this day I find ISDN an almost harrowingly dark album.
Kengine
Hardhead

Post by Kengine »

Yes, many of those POD room recordings I had retrieved back in 99' when Napster was still running. Excellent stuff.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

They're not the same ones that were available as bootlegs back in 1999 - at least most of them aren't.
When the POD Room released the Kiss Series, the ISDN bradcasts, the MPB series and later the EBS series,
we saw that we only had bits and pieces before (in low quality too).
You can read about the 'official' mixes in this very thread, just go to page 1 and see the links :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Kengine
Hardhead

Post by Kengine »

Well that is excellent news then! I will most definitely go through this thread. Thanks!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

BUMP :)

no, nothing new here :)
just updated some links / samples.

can't get this going... maybe because next for review is the Falling Down single :P
Ross

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:11:47 White Noise - Meteor Storm - (Pulse, 1980)
Quick EBS4 update, this track is actually 'Nine Dimensions' rather than 'Meteor Storm'
DLD493v2
Hardhead

Post by DLD493v2 »

Where's the next one?

I wanna see more reviews (please)!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

DLD493v2 wrote:Where's the next one?

I wanna see more reviews (please)!
Yeah, I want to write them too,
but there's only so much hours in the day...

I've been ultra-busy with some new directions in my job(s) and there's simply no time...
If / when I have time at some point in the future - I'm surely just gonna pick up from where I stopped - but When will that be... it's an anyone's guess... :)
DLD493v2
Hardhead

Post by DLD493v2 »

Oh... well, I guess maybe someone else could carry on your torch in the meantime?

Any takers?
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1994.0 (Mixing It, 2 ISDNs, Fripp Essenti

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: FSOL - ISDN Transmission 2 New York (The Kitchen) [live mix] (11.05.1994)
- bootleg / first official release 01.02.2010

49:55 ????? - sounds like 3-4 environments blended together...
Nigel Bates - Shrouded in Mist
From the same library music album as the two melody bits from Flak.

Ends at 51:00
Might be used in other transmissions? Too tired to check just now...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Thanks Ross - I updated the thread with all the findings from the library album,

the new finding at the Kiss Test Transmission 2 also :)
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1997.4 (FSOL - A MPB Mix Vol.1, Kiss FM)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:FSOL - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.1
(Kiss FM Manchester) [radio mix] (Aug.1997)
33:31 - Nurse With Wound & Stereolab - Trippin' With the Birds, from here: (section starts around 6:34)

Carries on after the short psych-rock track again at 35:50-ish until Sun Dial start.
ghostdeep
Hardhead

Post by ghostdeep »

I'm new here though I have been reading through posts for a long time through the years. This compilation of all of their work, including their mixes, is absolutely incredible. Thank you for pulling it all together, Pandemonium. All the uncovering of the various samples is also super enlightening, and important historical reportage.