Lifeforms double vinyl counterfeit?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Rob
Tingler

Lifeforms double vinyl counterfeit?

Post by Rob »

Hi to the board.
Just bought a new 2xLP version of Lifeforms since my original '94 copy got damaged from a truck accidental jump and then its wheels treatment, while last home change... Just from a Discogs seller (from Germany), picked up a version listed there as different barcode version but a Virgin official release....195,00 euro without shipment price....when i got it in my hands, records and sleeve are perfect, but it looks like a replica of the real thing....i think it's a counterfeit, anyone know about this??? Thanks in advance :)
https://www.discogs.com/it/The-Future-S ... se/1522007
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Lifeforms double vinyl counterfeit?

Post by Ross »

I've never come across that version myself, although the barcode certainly seems a bit suspicious - Virgin barcodes from the '90s would have followed the same as the catalogue number. That said, if it's a counterfeit, it would be a bit odd to give it a different barcode... I'll do some research.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I can't see a version where it would be a good bizz deal to replicate vinyl (aside from illegality) - it's just not profitable...

I'm aware there are some home level vinyl machines for bootlegs - but still, to make the whole thing as a replica - highly unlikely...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Thanks Ross & Pandemonium

Yes..it's a bit strange to make a very high detailed replica/counterfeit (thinking at the cover, gatefold as the original if this is not legit, and the two inners have the cuts as the ones from '94)...but the overhall feeling i have on this version is that is a bootleg from 2008-2009, possibly pressed in Germany....what is suspicious is that no year of production or copyright is printed on the cover(the original have P & C 1994 on the bottom right of the back cover), the sleeve it's fine but if you look better it's matte colours than brilliant shape of the original and the barcode tab itself seems covering the original one with low precision...since the Discogs images are not showing this strange version (infact they are images of the Virgin genuine one), i'm going to do scans and submit them to you both since your help is very needed to take a decision on this item: official or unofficial pressing? Would like to update the Discog's DB on this but it'll need a bit of teamwork and research...anyway thank you!! You great!!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

It's possible Rob, maybe some pressing plant in Germany was doing test pressings just to adjust the machines, and made some copies, also it's becoming incredibly cheap to do nice prints with the right connections... But that's a lot of circumstances coming together :) hence - highly unlikely...

I also talked with Brian (Dougans) - and he never heard of German pressings... So we could be talking about some high-end (illegal) bootleg...

BTW how's the SOUND on the record ?
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Pandemonium wrote:BTW how's the SOUND on the record ?
To add strangeness - if this is a counterfeit - the sound is full of freqs as the original one, it sounds as it must sounds, yes. The records were both unplayed until i tested them on my machine. Not sure at all about German pressing: mine was only a deduction from the Discogs release infos about this item - since it was added to the database 8 years ago now from a German guy... the copy i bought comes from there too...soo...that must be the place?? :D - trying to make decent scans, focusing on sospicious details - meanwhile, i'm dealing with a french seller to get the real thing :D - he just sent me pics and it seems 100% legit one YAY!! :)
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

...some lo-fi scans from the counterfeit(?)...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Intriguingly, the barcode comes up with the EP version on Amazon - but seemingly with reviews of both the album and single.
Meanwhile, EAN-Search.org throws up a result for Cascade.

Bootleg vinyls aren't unknown, particularly with long out-of-print items that fetch a decent price.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Ross wrote:Intriguingly, the barcode comes up with the EP version on Amazon - but seemingly with reviews of both the album and single.
Meanwhile, EAN-Search.org throws up a result for Cascade.

Bootleg vinyls aren't unknown, particularly with long out-of-print items that fetch a decent price.
Well, this is very mysterious link...the Cascade referring EAN code is an apparel for fishtanks rather than the EP we love... Just created a FB group...call me a dreamer but IMAGINE if all this will be possible :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1696814860617600/
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

My attempt to update Discogs's DB has been reverted to the old version by a contributor (razors) that voted mine totally incorrect - he sent pm saying that he own this item since 1994.....mmmm :?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Maybe the pressing IS from 1994,
and it was some kind of a limited test-pressing... could be, but somehow I doubt that, 90s were very low point for vinyl...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Most likely to just be the European pressing then.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I dunno Ross, the European edition does have the year of release in the bottom corner, Rob's copy doesn't.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

In 1994 never seen a copy of it, add the fact that in '95 i have seen a copy of Lifeforms vinyl in Bremen (where i bought 2xLP version white of ISDN) and it was exactly the same, with round sticker on front cover, as i bought in Rome '94 - going to ask to razors where he did get it in '94...
Surfurry
Hardhead

Post by Surfurry »

Virgin Records probably just outsourced another small pressing when stock became low, which was normal to do at the time. After all, their retail division, Virgin MegaStore was still huge into the late 90's with a great vinyl department. This would explain the different UPC code. 99% chance it is not a bootleg or counterfeit.

Scottmedia AKA Surfurry
Former curator of the FSOL Discography