Dead Cities turns 20

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: Dead Cities turns 20

Post by Dennis »

Can't stop thinking this is a professional made up joke from Mr. Pande, but if its not I would be indeed pretty curious about the bonus tracks and those sessions. What could such a thing be different than what the hardcore fan hasn't already got via the archived CD's? And what could a remaster do to an already near perfect sounding album?
Magnificient Insignificance
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Aye where did this come from Pande - Was it the Baz or Gary? Hopefully the remastering is done by the boys themselves via an 'updated' signal chain (a la the Global Communication 76:14 remaster) rather than whoever-it-is just running the whole thing though a big fat compressor to crush all the dynamics in an effort to make it louder
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

This does seem a bit unlikely, especially Pande's comment about a sticker being on the cellophane wrap - not sure how he could know that about something that hasn't been released yet :P

Still, it would be a cool set if it existed - although, as Dennis said, wouldn't most of the bonus material already have been released on the Archives?
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

The number of Dead Cities & 1997 tracks on the Archives makes me doubt there'd be much point to this.
But Pande's vagueness is intriguing me.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

The general air of mystery makes me half wonder whether its a fan-made thing, like KLF EPs that came out in recent years (I assume they were fan made), but I'd imagine Brian and Gaz wouldn't be especially that enthusiastic about it being posted publicly on here. I assume it's actually a genuine mock up of what a package would look like, after all it's a bit late for an April Fool's joke.

I guess the thing about the archive tracks released so far is that with a few exceptions they have been completely different tracks. I guess from the ISDN broadcasts we know that there are alternate early versions out there, particularly the weird live drums version of My Kingdom on the Art Futura broadcast. I'm sure they've got more early versions, more alternate paths to the singles (not to mention the vinyl only Semtex stuff), new remixes etc. And wasn't there a proposed third single which never happened?
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

Oddly, the third single was planned to be Glass, despite Hallucination, Insulin and the Oil remix suggesting that Yage would have been the third one. I believe they were hoping to work with Eno on the single, and there might also have been a version of Max with Brett Anderson (from Suede) on vocals, interestingly. Obviously they charged ahead with the new stuff though - The Isness was begun in late '96 so it's unsurprising that by the time a third single would have rolled around (May/June '97 I think) they were way beyond it - they'd have been heavily into the first MPB at that point, so Glass must have seemed a lifetime ago to them. That said, it was given a catalogue number (like the Eggshell single was), although I don't have it to hand.

And yeah, I believe they did many versions of each track, so that does make sense.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

The remastering is going to be done by Yage (but I'm not 100% sure).

There is still a good quantity of unreleased DC material (how's that possible no-one knows...)

I've already said more than I should guys - that's about it for now...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Intriguing. I'm assuming that it's going to be a way off. The exact anniversary is next Friday.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

No, I think the official release date was yesterday (the 18th) - right Ross?
You're doin' too much, do less.
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Well, this is really exciting indeed. Dead Cities is one of all time favourites! If that 1995 version of Quagmire is on there that would be superb. :)
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Ah, I looked in the discography section on here. The actually topic says 28th October, the content itself says 18th October. Either way it's now-ish..
Ross

Post by Ross »

Haha yeah, there are some dating inconsistencies. It was released on the 28th.
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Ross wrote:Haha yeah, there are some dating inconsistencies. It was released on the 28th.
I wonder if something concrete will be announced around then. It does a bit soon after Environments 6/6.5 though.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

You would think something like this would have a fairly big build up... but then again, this is FSOL... :mrgreen:
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Indeed, it can be a bit unpredictable at times. Still, I like that it keeps us guessing. :)