Dead Cities turns 20

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Dead Cities turns 20

Post by Pandemonium »

T-78

- some hidden religious agendas on this one, Buddhism (?) on the left, and orthodox Christianity (behind the paint) on the right...

T-77

- treating them merely as speed bump irritants before continuing in his usual manner. His usual manner was officially illegal but it was one of those great unspoken allowances that everyone accepted gratefully. After all he was a great driver, no points, had never hurt a soul of been involved in an accident, no, he took pride in his twenty years of driving and expected everyone else to do the same. Now though, things were beginning to get a little more serious, he noted with annoyance the new sleeker line in speed detection cameras that were beginning to appear is greater numbers, each placed with an increasing sublety of positional sense. Where once the aim of the game had been a visual threat, equivalent to a war ship on the horizon, now they were shark-like in purpose, this was no longer just a threat, they were after him, they wanted him banned and off the road, fast. He slowed down to remind himself of the absurdity of life at 30mph,

T-76

- it just wasn’t so pleasurable these days -
You're doin' too much, do less.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-75

- he had a car manufactured for illegality, why didn’t they just cap the maximum speed that these things were capable of rather than go to all this expense? It’s not like they kept you informed on the changes, at first the whispering masses has passes on what little they knew, clawing together in their need for the knowledge that would defeat these monoliths on street corners, watching in sadness as one by one they fell from the roads “if they flash twice you’re done for, they’re linked to supercomputers, they don’t always work, they’re just a visual deterrant, there’s nothing inside them.” He knew better, things had changed, the game was no longer a game, they were out to reduce the number of motorists by as much as 50% he suspected, and of course no-one would be told.

T-74

- Maybe the anti traffic and pollution lobbying and the recent violence was making it’s mark, after all. This was why these albatross of modern invention had gradually become sleeker in design, more in line with the sophistication of surveillance gear that had existed for the last decade, there had been no need for the earlier monolithic design other that to lull the motoring populace into false security, a false security of their driving mortality, the monoliths were after all the archetype of clumsy, ineffectual detection, the kind of design the chattering classes had long since associated with inferior sophistication, the kind of design you could win against, out-do. In fact everyone had accepted them, just another facet of modern life, to be ignored along with all the other crap.

T-73

- He however realized with sadness that you couldn’t win, that the days of cut ‘em up, burn ‘em up, of road rage and the most thrilling road race were over. Each day he noted his favourite routes become increasingly riddled with deviously positioned cameras, one by one he discounted his favourite routes to work, each one a living testament to a time when he’d been free to participate in the world’s largest race, where every car had been his opponent, standing between him and an unspecified finish line. Certainly there was less traffic these days, it was a game of marathon musical chairs where the remaining competitors drove conspiratorially like old-age pensioners. One of his routes remained detector free however. He would allow himself a nostalgic burn each morning before settling back down to 30 with a sigh, no, it just wasn’t fun anymore. One day he went to his mail box to find a recorded delivery, it had been signed for by another conspirator, he never answered the door to the postman for precisely this reason, the letter inside was computerized.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-72

“CAMERA DETECTED OFFENCES UNIT

NOTICE OF PROSECUTION AND SUBSEQUEN BAN

In accordance with section 1-Road Traffic Offenders Act, not is hereby given of the prosecution and subsequent ban as of today-23/03/98 against the driver of motor vehicle registration FAT STAR for three consecutive offences to comply with a speed limit on the 19/20/21st March 1998

THESE ALLEGATIONS WERE SUPPORTED BY MEANS OF PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE
APPEAL NOT PERMISSABLE”

T-71

T-70

- OK the last picture would definitely fit as a cover for some metal album :) deluxe version too :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-69

- Ross used the tree for his old website right?

T-68

- I was fucking astonished when I first looked at this one - Always loved and admired The Matrix movie, and this was made 3 years before The Matrix. The sentinel robots plugged into a human? Fucking genius! (Yes, I am aware Matrix borrowed ideas from various Anime (ghost in the shell) books that dated pre-1988 but come on, still fucking genius!)

T-67

- The last picture reminds me of the Jazz Mags cover...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-66

- Who are these people?

T-65

- I'd bet that house has some awesome stories :)

T-64

Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I think it was a slightly different tree picture, there was a very similar one. Might be mistaken though.
Jazz Mags-esque cover - Eurotechno screenshot I think?
People on T-66, my guess would be Richie Thomas, Simon Wells and Leon Mar.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-63

T-62

T-61

- The left picture should be the cover of We Have Explosive 2" tape reels - if they EVER come out...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-60

- Ta in a TRON like environment...

T-59

- This one reminds me of ENV 3

T-58

- The one with the pig is one of the best photos Buggy ever did, it's still on his online portfolio (a colored version of it I think). Anyway, Ta does have a glimpse of that look in her eyes, like 'what the hell did I signed up for..?'
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-57

- This one makes me wonder how many dozens of variations they had for each album cover...

T-56

- Nice clean cover versions of My Kingdom single & The Far-Out Son EP.

T-55

Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

T-54

- Another take of the old-person from the Dead Cities cover...

T-53

- Lifeforms in Dead Cities :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Didn't think it warranted a new thread so this seemed the right place. Revisited this old video for work, check out the location from 0:13 - 0:20 ...

Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

What a job you have.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

"Top 20 Best selling 90s R&B hits of all", came in at number .... can't actually remember now no.5 maybe.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I actually liked that track when I was a kid :)
Something about the melody...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Haha, I remember putting that on a mixtape back in the day - you know, the old recording off the radio job. Still know the chorus today - like it or not :)