Synthi-A - Ignition of the Sun - vinyl out 3rd June

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Synthi-A - Ignition of the Sun - vinyl out 3rd June

Post by Ross »

New Synthi-based album. This will be released as FLAC, mp3, wav and CD and will only be available through FSOLDigital.com and Bleep.com

Teaser track on Vimeo

update: vinyl edition out on 3rd June. See page three for details!
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Re: Synthi-A - Ignition of the Sun - out 4th March

Post by Tito Lozano »

Stunning about this surprise ,listening preview video track sounds very 70´s and with images made with Rutt etra Video Synth ;i noticed they call a track "Rutt Etra",and things of life , i used a plugin with same based 70´s video synthesizer for some albums from my own work.For examples of Rutt etra video synthesizer go to https://airtightinteractive.com/demos/js/ruttetra/
It seems an interesting album,in a more comfortable line than the Yage Album & following the path Of last Ems:Piano EPs, can´t wait to listen more of this!

TRACKLISTING:

01 – Ignition of the Sun
02 – Garden of Syn
03 – Pathway to I
04 – Rutt Etra
05 – Subterranean Hattusa
06 – Oblique Towers
07 – Disparity in Oscillations Ab
08 – Bridge Between Tal
09 – Rivers of Occasion
10 – Opalis Amar Xam
11 – Moons in Dissidence
12 – Liquid Light Voids
13 – Return Beyond the Inner Voice
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

That cover just can not be more 70s Kraut :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Post by Ross »

Coming from the home of Future Sound of London and credited to their ‘producer’ Yage, Ignition of the sun is a deep and evolving journey through liquid spewing analogue sequences, warm saturated swampy sine waves. It calls back to a time from the early 70s with bands such as Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze.

All sounds were created and sequenced entirely on the EMS Synthi AKS, multitracked and mixed to 15ips 1/4 Revox tape. The EMS Synthi AKS was first introduced in 1971, one of the earliest Synthesisers available and as used by Radiophonic Workshop, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno.
FSOL is increasingly becoming Retro Sound of London. There's such a reliance on analogue gear, stuff recorded to tape, worn out/warped looking photography, early electronics etc. these days. Most of the electronic stuff falls very closely to hauntology. Not a criticism, of course, it's just an interesting direction to go in. I like it a lot.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Me: Was your father somehow involved in the EMS program??

Brian: No, my dad ran an electronic studio in Scotland - In 1973 he purchased the magazine (pictured above).

This was why he bought the synthi - Bill (my dad) purchased one of the first 10 to be made, 7th actually. According to Robin Wood from EMS, who I visited recently, he actually showed me the original receipt of my dads purchase in 1973 - mental. He told me other buyers were Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, to name a few - so my dad was right there.

I have all my dads recordings using the synthi. I may release them at some point. Some interesting stuff, filtering field recordings through the synthi triggering frequencies etc.

IGNITION OF THE SUN - Synthi A - has been fully generated using only the synthi and some fx. I wanted to limit my self to only one piece of kit - synthi was the perfect choice. We were very careful to keep the signal path as analogue as possible - analogue desk - recording to tape - and finally mastering to 1/4". I'm fascinated by the transfer of sound and image to mediums - the physical actual change of a material - 35mm film / 1/4" tape - a new compression occurs - lovely - can't beat it ......

PS -- He says 'we were very...' - does this means Gaz was involved too??
Quiller
Tingler

Post by Quiller »

Nice. For those curious the cover artwork is by the Renaissance painter Michael Pacher, "Saint Wolfgang and the Devil". Probably an homage to the Urs Amman artwork on Schulze's Timewind.

http://wtfarthistory.com/post/125569341 ... n-your-bum
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Pandemonium wrote:PS -- He says 'we were very...' - does this means Gaz was involved too??

Brian: Gaz is / was part of Synthi-A. As he is with all projects.

- Well, that sure clears it up :)

PS - awesome spot (as usual) on the cover origins Quller!

PPS - youtube promo video:

Ross

Post by Ross »

Quiller wrote:Probably an homage to the Urs Amman artwork on Schulze's Timewind.
Mm - would be very surprised if not.

Great clip on that second video. Really looking forward to hearing this one.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Excellent new music, and it has to be said, fantastic graphics in the videos. I'm liking his fascination with haunting sounds on old electronic equipment, that clip on youtube had a real Phaedra era TD meets early eighties instrumental Hawkwind vibe about it, which unsurprisingly is right up my street. Really looking forward to this one. I love the way he's doing the whole thing analogue from start to finish, that's really rare these days; should give it a really unique sound.

I do hope he puts some of his Dad's stuff out on fsoldigital some day, he's been threatening to do that for years now. Didn't some of it appear on one of the Electric Brainstorms?

I have a feeling the Synthi-A project may have a continuation with positive feedback from the fans, much like the Blackhill Transmitter stuff.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

There was a plan to put out his dad's soundtrack to the Clyde Port Authority film - the track Dredgers appeared on EBS2. Would love to hear more of it.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

So, is this a new full album? (as some of you may know, I only buy full albums, so...)
Ross

Post by Ross »

At 13 tracks I'd hope so.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Sounds interesting. Ordered. And now, for the tenth time this week, I'll tell myself that I must stop spending money 8-)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

love that album cover.....surely does remind of timewind!