Terminal - The Label

Terminal Window / Terminal Radio discussion
Akkya
Expander

Terminal - The Label

Post by Akkya »

Proposal number one:

I spoke to the label I have released most of my work with --- and mentioned we are thinking of starting our own or at least looking for more outlets

so here is the mail

From the label manager:
If you guys are looking for help with distribution there is the possibility of using the contract I have with Believe Digital.

Basically, with my account I can create new labels anytime I want.

However, the deal I have with them is in my name, so therefore any tracks released would be being released via my name, so we would have to come to some written agreement about sub-licensing through my name for a very small cut of any sales, but unlike the City Wall contract which lasts for the duration of the copyright, it could have a break out clause where if you guys wanted to up sticks and leave we could just pull all the releases and that would be that, so basically no long term commitment.

Then I would entrust my sign on to someone like yourself who would then be responsible for managing the new label.

Believe take 30% but there is no other cost, plus, they get sole digital rights so if you sold via me you guys would have to stop selling via Bandcamp etc

Just an idea.
beetles
Expander

Re: Terminal - The Label

Post by beetles »

I say we go for it.Its gotta be worth it just to get promoted a bit more.I'm fairly confident our stuff is good but a lot of it doesnt get enough attention because of limited amount of promotion then it just fades into everything else on the internet.If we never try we will never know how far it could all go.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Akkya wrote:However, the deal I have with them is in my name, so therefore any tracks released would be being released via my name, so we would have to come to some written agreement about sub-licensing through my name for a very small cut of any sales

so if you sold via me you guys would have to stop selling via Bandcamp etc
Count me out.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Aye, that definitely is a weird clause to have for a label ! (to both quoted paragraphs)
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Proposal Two:

We start our own label!

any takers
Ross

Post by Ross »

Depends on all the details of course, but I'm potentially in. I am very, very difficult to work with however. :D
Nmesh
Open Loop

Post by Nmesh »

Guys............. have a look at the new and improved Terminal Bandcamp page - I've been working with Craig on it for the past couple hours - in addition to this, there is now a bandcamp app button on the Facebook page (awesome) and Craig added something called SongKick, but i've yet to look into that yet.

What does everyone think - kind of a nice little facelift from the plain black background and basic header.. Check it out: https://terminalwindow.bandcamp.com/
Proceed with visual attack.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

looks great.
my concern is that as we get more exposure and ultimately sales...
where are the contracts, ownership rights, copyright laws.

Whether making money or not, I want my rightful earnings and copyright laws respected as an artist.
For now I'm ok with it, but if we are serious we need to consider these factors somewhat, I have had similar issues with my Techno, one track I made got sublicensed to two seperate massive labels and has sold a fair amount, but due to no contract on that one remix (just about the only one I've done without a contract in Techno) I am not owner of that work anymore and I haven't seen a penny of its profits, the big label got everything, the original artist didn't sign a contract either so neither of us got anything...

food for thought maybe
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Profits... for get money , first you must spend something to get promotion and best sales....

I know this is the best site , where you pay little bit for upload an album and then take 100% sales

http://www.tunecore.com/index/pricing

Into this , you can put all as label and take distribution in best and known playing sites(amazon,googleplay,etcetcetc)

In this fucking industry , indie or underground artists must put money or get contract with rights statements, personally i´m not into the
Society Music in Spain (S.G.A.E.) cause they say me all music made need that artist come as autonomous,must tp pay to state first much money and then when passed 1 year get sales(with a big taxes for Sgae & state treasury) i know lot of artists that no get anything while albums are in hands of other people , here in spain Sgae was reported not made payment of royalties to the big boss , mr Springteen and he then need years to put all in order to take his sales money in spain for him....

Moral of a fable: Big fish eat to small.

Tunecore or find a real label that want support & not to see a personal business for himself...
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

Akkya wrote:where are the contracts, ownership rights, copyright laws.
With bigger labels?

I've done countless releases with labels now, and the only one I've signed any sort of contract with is FSOLDigital. Music is my hobby, so I suppose I don't expect to be making any money off it (I'd be making the same music with the same time and outgoings whether anyone heard it or not, so I suppose I don't expect any sort of money 'back' like I would a job), I'm personally more interested in putting some tapes / CDs / LPs out there, trading with some other DIY labels, sending them off to some sites, blogs, podcasts etc. and getting a bit of interest and support in our music.

So I suppose this boils down to how we want to do the label. I know some smaller labels do work more like a business with contracts, trying to make a profit, etc. - do we do it like that; or do we run it as a lot of the DIY labels do, maybe breaking even but keeping things more relaxed?

Alex - nice job on the redesign, looks excellent. Personally I'm happy to release stuff through the Terminal Bandcamp. There's an EP coming out in the new year to support the first ID album, which everyone should be involved in, musically. I'm not sure about whether to do it as a digital release or try and stump up a bit of cash for a physical, but I honestly had no other plans than selling it through Bandcamp and promoting it from there. So yeah, that works well for me.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Its a shame we don't have more similar aspirations of where we would like to be as a collective.
I really do think there is a core group of us that could make a go of this... and be successful...
I have been doing what Ross has stated for a long time now, and I would like to be part of something moving on to something else bigger and better, with more journeys and adventures...

I'm open to the experience if anyone wants to take part...
Thanks
Ross

Post by Ross »

The thing is, there's a big difference between the people here and the stages they're at with their music. We have people who've never done a solo release to people who've been putting out music for a long time, and pretty much every step between. You can also see by the amount people talk about their music how there's a big difference in how important it is to individual people. For some of us, it's the the only calling in life; for others, it's a bit of personal escapism. And again, everything in between.

So if we do want to do a label, it's something that needs a compromise to suit the needs of most, if not all.

There's no reason we can't get our stuff on Norman, Boomkat, Juno etc. - the Middlemarch album is available on two of those and we've never even had a sniff of a contract from Colin, so the relaxed way of doing it doesn't mean we can't get exposure.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Bandcamp site for Terminal sounds fine for put releases and try put price or simply name your price,i think now on send release on it and all money from downloads put on support Terminal and if i have any money make physical Tape/CD/? release on my site,

About Juno i have a contract of 50% for them (as they worked for new artists) and i can put new label and releases and wait what happens,all infos are on:

http://www.junodownload.com/digital_label_signup/

Sure i like make something a Terminal projects but as always say , for me all is hard as have a caothic real life with waves of
long time unemployed and few money taking from trash jobs...hope with time resolve things and make some releases where sure i will try work something with all you people, but no have plans to take much money about or live life from music royalties/profits....
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

For me the main thingis to get more exposure for our work.I'm not gonna be able to make a proper living from music but the chance to get more exposure has git tobe a good thing.The hard thing is how to accomodate everyones different viewpoints and make it happen.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I keep a few lists of suitable sites / blogs / magazines for reviews, podcasts, online radio etc. which should definitely help with exposure, and I'm updating it all the time. Obviously not all publications are suitable for all releases, but it should give us some pretty broad coverage if we cover as much as possible.

I think the key thing we need to decide, regardless, is how we're planning to do releases: digital, physical (and what format), a combination? It's really important for a label to have a consistent focus and image, so we need to know exactly the sort of thing we want to be releasing. It will also allow us to know exactly who we're aiming our promotion at.