Terminal Website

Terminal Window / Terminal Radio discussion
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Terminal Website

Post by Ross »

Right, this is still very, very rough, a WIP. I've just slotted together a few ideas for vague design and content. I haven't sorted out fonts, exact layouts, or much of the info, but merely put something together to see what people want to suggest.

http://terminalwindow.tumblr.com/

I'm using Tumblr because it's incredibly easy to customise, it is design to update with video, audio, image and text, you can share/reblog from other people - so anybody involved in the Terminal Project can get have their news and info shared on the page, and similarly they can reblog from it if they choose to follow - and it can be adapted into a .com (or whatever) in a matter of minutes, if anybody fancied buying www.terminalwindowradiointerfacevideoetcetera.org

So yeah, give me advice, and if yr on Tumblr, hit me up with a follow!
Akkya
Expander

Re: Terminal Website

Post by Akkya »

good website is good

font is perfect
looks great
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Since this has serious potential, and about 1/3 of my income is based on making websites, I will suggest a PRO approach on this one, and you decide what you want :)

Before you click the live demo below, have in mind that this is paid Joomla CMS template (with annual tech support), and you can play with the modules as much as you like, remove almost everything or add more, the link version is pretty complex because they want to show you how much can be done, but it looks good anyway. When I say paid, I mean I'm already a member there, so I can get this one for free (anything for the Terminal bros right) - it will take a while to make the initial set-up, but after that it's gonna be very easy to administrate.

http://www.joomlart.com/demo/#ja_muzic

EDIT: going pro has other expenses too, like renting server space (about 50 euros annually but I'm sure we can go on Pete's site or Ross or someone else already has something like this...) and buying the domain name (about 5 euros annually) - so there isn't much expenses - this way you can host the audio on your own too, no need for soundcloud and/or YouTube other than marketing ...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Apart from the easy way to share amongst the Tumblr community, the other reason I thought about keeping it there is that Tumblr is free and has infinite storage. secondthought.co.uk is going at some point in the next few months so I certainly can't host it myself.
I'd also actually recommend using Soundcloud for audio as, again, it connects into the community there which is a promotional tool in itself.
But if people think that paying for hosting and stuff is worth it then cool - I'll hand over to you!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I agree with you Ross, but Tumblr is a blog after all, limited options and stuff...
I'm just adding an option to think about, it doesn't have to go that way right away,
maybe see first how the website will go, visitors count and similar stats...
and if Terminal decides to sell something some day... it would be good to have a Pro site.
(we all know the sales will be low, but they'll be enough to cover expenses for a good website)
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Pandemonium wrote:I'm sure we can go on Pete's site or Ross or someone else already has something like this...)
Unfortunately our server has ran out of the number of hosted SQL databases for another dynamic site to be put on there :(
Ross

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:I agree with you Ross, but Tumblr is a blog after all, limited options and stuff...

and if Terminal decides to sell something some day... it would be good to have a Pro site.
To be honest, pretty much every independent/DIY artist and label I follow tends to use blogs, even if it's a site made in Wordpress. Even some relatively established indies like Psychonavigation and Rainbow Bridge use Tumblr as their main website these days.

I think it depends on content, really - if we're planning on putting lots of exclusive stuff on the site itself, then a pro site is definitely worth considering. At the minute it's little more than a portal to the various online resources we already have, so yeah - I'll work on this for a bit and it's having a more dedicated stand-alone site is something to consider for the future.

Craig - any chance you could fill me in with the full length description of Terminal Radio you wrote for the series at the start, and also any info on Terminal Interface?
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

I'm of the opinion, that any portal should be able to provide what we create with an option for sale.
The portal should be at minimal to no cost, with links to buy where possible.
It should be a place we can all update, and one that we can all add our content to.

Any investment I can make financially is now based on the idea of making physical products using 3d printing.
I am really interested in the option of us making records or tapes, 3d printing for the records obviously.
Tapes is cheap.
3d printing for art , sculptures. And other stuff as the tech develops.

I love technology, but increasingly am concerned about piracy versus revenue, and tangible physical work.
A portal for links on how and where and what ... Definitely, but at as low or no cost as much as possible.
Soundcloud hosts audio, we can create a label and sell our work digitally, which again someone else hosts.

I like what ross has created.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Ps

http://m.instructables.com/id/3D-Printed-Record/

and if not this then some kind of hard copy

a PHYSICAL hard copy
Last edited by Akkya on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'm definitely for everybody being able to contribute - currently I can give moderator permissions to anybody who has a Tumblr account, so they can add what they like; I can also add anything that people link to me as it only takes 30 seconds to add it to the site.

Love the idea of 3D printed records - obviously getting a high quality one is still a little way off, but it's a really fascinating way to go forward. Vinyl is the only format you can't really get on-demand copies like you can with digital, CDr and tape, so I reckon if a way of creating high quality reproductions via 3D printing comes about, it'll be really popular.

In the meantime, physical stuff is something I'm definitely interested in looking at - Bullfinch has slowed down to a crawl because I really don't have the time or money to run a label by myself, but I'm willing to divert my resources from that into this if other people are. That's something I was going to discuss once the final mix of TW3 is done.
haze
Hardhead

Post by haze »

nice start ross. potential for much awesomeness
Ross

Post by Ross »

Cheers for the words chaps. Continuing to build this, I'll need a bit of stuff for the artist pages, how about an image, mini-bio and any weblinks you'd like. For everyone who's invited others to take part in Terminal Radio, please pass this on to them. If anyone would rather not have this on the site than that is absolutely fine of course!
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

not sure if this is our bag, but a video podcast I watch suggested this

http://www.squarespace.com/#smallbusiness

might be just what we need
Ross

Post by Ross »

A lot of those templates look very similar to Tumblr ones actually... only you have to pay.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

oh --- the monies