Terminal Window 3

Terminal Window / Terminal Radio discussion
Nmesh
Open Loop

Re: Terminal Window 3

Post by Nmesh »

Let's try this again. Non-Wii version, hi-res: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjmi01y00trfd ... ion%29.jpg

Proceed with visual attack.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

:P
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

I would like to follow up the kick starter idea, and maybe work towards a physical release or some kind of art, media type release.
So like a package of art, music, a USB stick with digital file of the music. Maybe posters of accompanying art. High gloss.
You get what I'm saying?
If not for TW 3 then possibly for 4
We could each contribute
Music
Art
Sample pack
Field recordings
Or anything we could add.
Then kick start it through our followers on our media sites.
And see if we could release a multimedia piece.
I would love this to come together as it seems like a step towards us doing installations at the Tate.
And then after hours broadcasts at Glastonbury via the internet.

Would love to know your thoughts on us organising a physical release. It does seem the next obvious step to me
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

Im in. I remember listening to Radio Avalon after the bands at glastonbury some time ago. I reckon people would be in the perfect headspace for some TR.Id love to see some nice glossy cover art posters as well. I suppose my only concern would be wether or not people would buy it.I suppose if we started a kickstarter then we'd know fairly soon if they would or not.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

You know, we could go absolutely wild on stretch goals for the kickstarter..

We could start it off simply as funding for a physical release for Terminal Window 3 (I don't think we should worry about TW4 for a while, unless you all are REALLY up to it, I think its best to space it out).

Then if people donate more it can upgrade to Terminal Window Trilogy: a physical box set of all three Windows, with a proper booklet with all the info and photos from the three digital release plus new visual content and info from ALL of us. Donate more and there can be a physical version of Terminal Interface, we could even make that exclusive to the package. Donate more and there can be glossy artprints of Herd's work included, custom USB of all our work in digital form, all Terminal Radios so far in mp3, then FLAC...

We could even throw in a VHS copy of Terminal Video just for kicks, that would be awesome! :D

One thing we'll need to do is designs and images of what we intend to put on the kickstarter page, if peeps actually see what we're intending it might push them abit to consider, and see how do-able this will be, who should we partner up with to help us, and how many peeps would want to buy. Having Interface included would have everyone who was involved with Radio get behind this as well!

I'm totally down with installation soundtracks, I would imagine Terminal being soundtracked at Kinetica and similar places, if we partner up and soundtrack an artist's work who is interested. Glastonbury afterhours would be wicked! Big Chill or the Chill Bar would be other places it could work.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

I'm in. This is for me
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

A question before we start building an international space station to broadcast Terminal Window vol4 to the galaxy - how many times has TW3 been downloaded so far. Probably a good indication of the interest in the project ... Stat us up Ross!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

nice artwork there nmesh

awesome stuff guys i've been snoozing on this thread and i'm about to do the full listen :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Will have stats when I'm home on Monday...
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

mcbpete wrote:A question before we start building an international space station to broadcast Terminal Window vol4 to the galaxy..
... I think we should just scrap the kickstarter idea and just go with this! Genius!!.. aka: sorry for getting excited and seeing potential in what we're doing as a collective.

Of course I'm not saying let's go full steam ahead, I'm just sharing ideas around and encouraging conversation.
Ross wrote:Will have stats when I'm home on Monday...

I can tell you guys that right now, though they will be different on Monday, its still early days:

32 downloads so far of Terminal Window 3, over 350 listens in the past week since it came out.

As it is, its all gradual, it would be interesting to see what it will look like on Monday. But yeah, the biggest hurdle is promoting and getting people engaged with what we're doing. So things like installations, video and the like do seem like a good direction to go. I personally think 3 volumes is enough material, and is a strong enough representation in that format to leave it at for now, and we should concentrate on what direction the whole thing should go next to get more people into it.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

LooseLink wrote: But yeah, the biggest hurdle is promoting and getting people engaged with what we're doing.
Aye, a hundred percent this. This is something I've never worked out how to do - quality wise this series (especially this third one) is fantastic, though in this modern world of saturated, well everything !, I have no idea how anyone promotes such quality output to the masses.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Kick starter is a good way of doing this.
I have been following elite dangerous and am now in the premium beta awaiting the 30th.
The first thing that caught my attention was that David braben was making a new elite.
I only found this by chance.
Once I saw the project on kick starter, I started following it.
I then saw how many people were interested in braben making a new elite.
Just like I presume if FSOL, we're to kick start a new lifeforms anniversary edition, or even a new album.
It appears to me if we went for 100 physical copies, we would be able to cover the costs, through, people browsing through kickstarter, and a number of our followers on soundcloud , etc.
We propose 100 copies, we set up the page. And we make it happen.
If we don't reach the goal, there is no obligation.
If we do, we have succeeded. And either way we are a step closer to being where we all want to be. And will have learned a great deal about how to promote our work through other avenues, and maybe attract a wider audience.
Ross

Post by Ross »

35 downloads in the first week, which is lower than I was expecting, given how much promotion has gone into this. Not sure how that'd translate into Kickstarter backers. But it's worth looking at.

Installations at the Tate and Glasto - sounds awesome, might be sensible to be looking more seriously at small scale things first though, serious "professional" artists sometimes work years before getting a shot at these things!

Will have more thoughts / ideas / etc. when I'm not half-dead from travelling.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Airplay for Nmesh/TW3
http://pbsfm.org.au/node/35533
Ross

Post by Ross »