Terminal Window 3

Terminal Window / Terminal Radio discussion
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Terminal Window 3

Post by Ross »

Ok, as the acid trip idea seems to have been the most popular, let's go with that. It moves away from the original concept a bit, but no problems there. Soooooo yeah, something pretty psychedelic/trippy, starting off mellow and going into craziness, perhaps a bit of a loss of control (I have the perfect WIP for this point, in fact), and then a slow release and return to normality at the end.

One or two tracks each, themed around an acid (or psychedelic drug of choice) trip - tracks to have at least some 'place' in the theme. Obviously this can be your own interpretation of what a trip would be like/is like, let's be loose about it, but have everything tie together nicely. And we'll sort out the running order and deadline for final mixes in the new year.
If anyone wants to make environments/segues to stitch the tracks together, that would be awesome too.

Original thread-opening post:
It's interesting reading over the Terminal Radio thread, Craig was talking about the first radio show being a less important thing, just something that promote Terminal Window 3. Obviously that didn't happen, and even more obviously, it seems to have eclipsed the success of the albums by some margin!
More recently we've been discussing ways to potentially fund hosting of the Terminal Radio series, and doing releases popped up - so it seems about time to revisit the album format and start thinking about Terminal Window 3.

Craig and I were discussing the record some point last autumn, and I had an idea about a direction to take it in. I remember Pandemonium talking briefly in the TW2 thread about how the first one plays out much more like an Environments record than anything, and I'd agree that the first two albums definitely sound more like the later Archives albums and Environments 3: a bit all over the place really. Obviously with 5-10 different artists working on a record, we're always going to come up with something varied in approach, but when you compare this with, say, Dead Cities, that doesn't have to mean it's disjointed. FSOL managed to pop WHE next to Everyone in the World; Max next to Antique Toy; Yage next to Vit Drowning, without ever losing the feel of consistency.

Anyway, that's a lot of babble for a simple idea: with Terminal Window 3, I suggest we come up with a theme for the album and then try and compose songs for that theme. Although everybody has their own interpretations of the FSOL records, it's common to suggest that Lifeforms is tropical, exotic and natural/organic in feel, Dead Cities represents urban decay, Environments 2 is vast and icy, etc. In a similar vein, The KLF's Chill Out is loosely a nocturnal train journey across America, and several of my own albums I've approach in such a manner. I suggest we come up with a setting, some imagery, some ideas or themes to create the album around, maybe have an informal vote, and then get to work on creating something that really plays out like a cohesive album, rather than just a showcase for artists on the board. This could be a tribute to something FSOL have done (our own city album) or something entirely new.

I'd say as a collective we're more than capable of doing this - those artists who may have been less experienced when the series started a few years ago have shown themselves to have no worries in maturing creatively, and the rest of the group have been making music long enough to be flexible in their approach: I have no doubt everybody here could meet the task easily.

That's a long version of the suggestion I made to Craig last year, and now seems like as good a time as any to get started. What do people think? Any suggestions for themes? Anybody not like the idea? Go!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Terminal Window 3

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, this is a brilliant proposition :)

As you know, right now I didn't even had time to pitch in a mix, and I haven't made any music for... I dunno, 7 years...
So I helped as much as I could with photography and booklets for the TW series...

Anyway, I HAVE A DREAM :D - if you guys could pull it out, and I think you could, I would like to see a themed TW album on the FUNK and ACID/BREAKS side of FSOL/AA

::think like:: Exploded Funk from Archive 5, the funky bass lines form Dead Cities, the psychotic bass lines from Alice in Ultraland - I would love to see a more vibrant, dancey, faster Terminal Window - I think you know what I mean.
(If you need more specific directions, say the word, I'll get in details :) )

(I was planing to pitch in a mix of this kind for Terminal Radio - but I just don't have the time - I know it's a lame excuse but I have a major life-changing decisions these last 6 months and the 6 ahead, so...)

PS - I've been doing some experiments with ultra-zoom photos, so tell me when and I'll do some new ones for the new TW booklet. :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

I think a themed release sounds like a great idea.Not sure about an actual theme yet - I'll have a think.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Whatever we come up with, i think we should keep the dark feel of sound.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'm happy to provide occasional moments of light (a la 'Max'). Can't bring myself to do much dark stuff these days!
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

I'm in.

A theme is good.
I feel as the mixes have shown that we can all fit in a groove together And be coherent.
I'm happy to flex in various ways. And look forward. To the project.
My theme idea would be a third summer of love.
We had ...
Hippy
Raver
And now... ???
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Of course I'm down with the 3rd Terminal Window. Themes are a good idea. With the success of Terminal Radio, I think Terminal Window 3 will be quite popular. I'm not too picky on themes so long as it's got an FSOL vibe. :D
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Awesome to see this get started, of course I'm in! :)

If we go with a dark theme I have a track pretty much ready already :)

Same format as before? Two tracks each? You guys reckon the theme should be based behind a FSOL album, or just something more general?
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Every darkness needs light to exist, we could combine the dark side and the bright side, in the same spirit as we have done in the Terminal Radio. A theme would be great though, i dont know about ideas but since the music we make, each one of us is the result of awakened parts of our DNA combined with the Environments that we live in and evolve as human beings, this is something we could think of, just a thought guys.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Well, since themes don't seem to be forthcoming, here's a list of potential ideas:
Cityscape
Tropical
Icy/arctic
Space
Pastoral/rural
Vast/desert

Any other ideas? I'm sure we can come up with a cohesive soundscape for most it not all of these.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

i had an idea which is probably more about the structure of the release more than the theme but anyway - I was thinking about the notion of an acid trip - the night starts off quite chilled / normal, then builds and builds with things getting progressively weirder until midway through the release the trip peaks - this track would be very chaotic, this madness fades only to return again for a second bout of chaos before eventually calming down again until dawn breaks and its sunday morning and everything seems to be normal again. Hope this makes sense, the structure could be applied to any theme really.i got this idea from a friend of a friend.
Nmesh
Open Loop

Post by Nmesh »

i had an idea which is probably more about the structure of the release more than the theme but anyway - I was thinking about the notion of an acid trip - the night starts off quite chilled / normal, then builds and builds with things getting progressively weirder until midway through the release the trip peaks - this track would be very chaotic, this madness fades only to return again for a second bout of chaos before eventually calming down again until dawn breaks and its sunday morning and everything seems to be normal again. Hope this makes sense, the structure could be applied to any theme really.i got this idea from a friend of a friend.
Now this I can get behind 100%.

That structure could still work if you added an "environment" of some sort as Ross mentioned. This could be the ultimate trip through the jungle - a nod to the '93 essential mix or Lifeforms even - Hmm... So many options...
Proceed with visual attack.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I can notice that the word "environment(s)" and its definitions like Ross said such as Cityscape,Space, Desert etc are mentioned quite often here, dont know if that could mean something.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Let's each take a trip through our terminal windows to our own unique environments and bring back an archived recording for the release and call it ...?
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

All sounds like EBS 5

Maybe take a bad trip from friday and go to normally on sunday, like a real tripy story?

Hmmm night and day, life and dead all dualities for 2 tracks as other Terminal Window albums?

I start now with a new compossition that only have a dark base of glitches for put rythms and lead sounds

All you have great ideas for theme sure.

:!:
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human