OffLand
Ill Flower

Re: Terminal Window 3

Post by OffLand »

Love that idea.
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Third this, mixing Environments into other environments with a track already attached will make it interesting, the fun part will be finding the flow.
monkeygra
Hardhead

Post by monkeygra »

i'd like to get in one some terminal windows. i haven't done much so far that is fsol-like or -inspired, but i certainly could

https://soundcloud.com/80021170ffff
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

You can definitely join, start working on some tracks with a acid trip and the Sunday Mornings after in mind! :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It's important to remember your track doesn't have to sound like FSOL too. Do something that sounds like you. One of the pieces I've got lined up isn't FSOL-like at all.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

well folks i've finally put a nice little chunk of my first tune in about oh....19 years ;)

it's a little riff i've had in my head for years that has evolved into quite a dance oriented track
i'm not really sure it fits a fsol/terminal theme but that can't be my concern

it's sure going to take months to get through this whole tune but i already am happy with what my completely amateur self is creating

my biggest weakness i would guess at this stage is the mixing/mastering.
with today's technology it's easy enough to make it sound like it wasn't produced by a 5 year old.
but i feel that in the end i'm going to struggle with making that polished professional sound to the mix.
compression/reverb/eq/volume levels/panning!

my thought is that when this track is finally done i'll obvs give it my best but i would also like to offer it to someone on the board to take a stab at cleaning up as well. with that in mind....what would be the best format to get this tune in?
is there anything other than .wav that might be useful to someone trying to remaster/mix?

can't wait to share it some day

some day :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

Ross wrote:It's important to remember your track doesn't have to sound like FSOL too. Do something that sounds like you. One of the pieces I've got lined up isn't FSOL-like at all.

haha whoops.....i obvs didn't read the last few posts before making mine :P
Ross

Post by Ross »

SEEDY IS DOING A TRACK
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

GO SEEDY GO :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha the worst part is that i already recorded a few riffs that should be about 5 min into the track
i just can't help but work on the juicy peak type stuff but alas i need to calm down and focus on some buildup ;)
it's just hard to stop the ideas that flow so intense so i just feel the need to record before the vision is lost.

lol I should upload the electronic music i made back in '95 some day
i actually still like the spirit of the compositions today, but sadly there are errors in there that just totally kill any level of awesome they were producing. just an off beat here or there that just makes you cringe!

it was 3 tracks that i did for a "computer music" course in college. we EACH had $30,000 setups.....absolutely massive cutting edge technology at our fingertips. the two i saved were my first two projects.......sadly the last one i did (and hence the one created with the most experience) was never copied from the original DAT....so it's lost forever :(

i also have two other random things i did with a Boss drum machine back in the day....both were meant to have guitar added. one of them i have recorded to CD with guitar (again, nice sounding but with a few DOH moments)....the other one is still sitting on that drum machine waiting to be used (this one is a reggae dub type track fully completed and hardly any errors)

hopefully i figure out how i can update and use some of this old stuff some day.
revive and revamp ;)
Ross

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote: but i feel that in the end i'm going to struggle with making that polished professional sound to the mix.
One reason I do more lo-fi stuff now. I never managed to get past that "quite good amateur" level of mixing into "completely professional" territory. So I thought I'd use my weakness as an advantage and make music that's not intended to sound professional. Ha.

If you want someone else to have a go at mixing the track, save it as stems, and maybe do a rough mix yourself to give them an idea of where things should sit vaguely in the mix.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

what do you mean by save it "as stems"?

isn't there some type of workable format i can save this in that can be used across different DAW platforms?

a .wav file would be least advantageous in terms of having flexibility within the project.......are there other options?
Ross

Post by Ross »

There's not really a format that can be used across different DAWs, no. But for simplicity's sake, let's say you did a piece of music that was guitar, piano, bass and vocals. You could then mute everything except the guitar, and save that as a .wav file, then do the same for the other instruments, which would give you four* separate .wav files, which you could then send for somebody to mix.
If yr still confused let me know and I'll send you the stems of one of my songs as an example. :)

*obviously if it was a real piano you'd have fuck knows how many audio tracks and want to render them separately - but that's not really important in case of this example.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ahhh no i actually got that 100%

that's a nifty and simple little workaround there!