Terminal Radio

Terminal Window / Terminal Radio discussion
LooseLink
Expander

Terminal Radio

Post by LooseLink »

Thought I just post up and share an idea for the Terminal series that's been in my head for a while and see what the rest of you think, either we can start slowly on it now or wait until around the time Terminal Window 3 is in the making.

Basically its a Terminal mix series, with the title Terminal Radio. What I'm thinking is people who would like to join provide a 10-15 or more minute mini-mix of whatever they like, their own tracks, FSOL or FSOL-like tunes, tunes you've heard on the net/radio/store that you liked recently, whatever! If it turns out like Windows 1 and 2 there should be at least up to 5 or 6 or more mini-mixes, I'll take those and link them up so they work together as an hour or more continuous mix (I'll do a mini-mix as well to add in), and we find someone to broadcast it! All to make more people aware of Terminal Window!

If this turns into a series alongside Window then someone else can take the leading role and organise the mixes each volume. Herd or Panda can make cover art and credit art (similar to FSOLSampler Vol.2, saying where the tunes come from etc.)

Thoughts all? 10 - 15 minutes cool etc? Longer? If we like to start on it now, I can come up with a date to bring focus.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Terminal Window 2

Post by Pandemonium »

Hmmm... I could do a mix :) 15 minutes is cool :)
If a lot of people jump in with mixes we can make CD1 and CD2 of this series :)

I'd also like to hear what are you guys here using for mixing tracks.
Or what do you use for chopping sounds, what's the easiest way to take a piece of sound out of a movie, and stuff like that...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Great stuff folks. Whatever you guys are up to with Terminal Window 3, Im in. If of course, whoever is responsible with this release approves my music, and if the music fits the concept of this album.

Actually, Terminal Window 3 was the inspiration for me to get back with even deeper devotion to making music, after a long period of inactivity. Ive been working on my album for a couple of years now, trying to give it shape and form. Since its the first effort of mine for a release, the road Im walking is very long. But im willing to wait, and be patient. Have you folks already started the project? Is anybody collecting the tracks on the forum?
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Hmmm. great idea for T3,now i think for the 15 min mix a tribute mix of dead cities vs blade runner I think that can be combined and maybe leave something interesting...

Who made the head for the mixes submissions?And will make the final mix?
Pandemonium> try with Wavelab or Reaper for make samples or loops for the mix , are 2 great programs

Wish to be something nice to show the people
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
LooseLink
Expander

Terminal Radio And Terminal Window 3

Post by LooseLink »

Awesome! It would be great to have both of you on board! Have you released music in the past Dub? I'd love to hear it.

Pande, I just use any audio recording program like Audacity, and record when the sample I want is playing, or if I'm desperate I even use video recording software like Camtasia to record the moment that is playing on screen (using very small recording dimensions, it doesn't effect the audio). Then I convert the resulting movie file into WAV with Format Factory, that program can convert almost anything! From there you play around with it in Reaper or Fruity Loops or whatever until it fits into a mix.

Just to clarify, the idea I just brought up is not going to be Terminal Window 3. My idea here is a separate mix series (or just one mix? It would be pretty cool to turn it into a series, but that's up to the board) called Terminal Radio that will work alongside the Window series. Window is where we make new tracks, Radio will be our mixes. Mixes are good for exposure if placed in the right place, that's the one thing Window needs at the moment is exposure. Terminal Window 2 got quite far with Mixmaster Morris recommending it, so let's keep going! Nice to hear the good response so far.

Terminal Window 3 will be revealed by Ross when he is ready, we discussed about it earlier this year and he has come up with a pretty cool idea for it, so I think its fair to let him kickstart it for us. So at this time nobody is collecting tracks for that.

As for Radio, I can collect the mixes. Feel free guys to start your mixes if you're ready, there's no real theme other than your mix has to relate to Terminal Window somehow, so include at least something FSOL or similar somewhere or include a track from Window 1 or 2 somewhere. Dead Cities Vs Blade Runner also sounds good to me! :)

Also if anybody has anything against the name Terminal Radio, then say! There can be a better name for it I'm sure.
Nmesh
Open Loop

Post by Nmesh »

I'm down to contribute something for this - It actually would work out perfect - earlier this year I started a 2 hour DJ mix kind of in the same vein of the Electric Brain Storm mixes, and its come to a stand still for the moment because of other projects and deadlines. So I've got lots of material that would be good for Terminal Radio... very ambient / psychedelic / experimental stuff I'm talking about, drenched in all sorts of samples "from the waste bins of time". So we're shooting for around 15 minutes you say? I think I could pack a lot in 15 mins actually...
Proceed with visual attack.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Terminal Window 3, yes, I'll get to that this week.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Some cool things are happening on the forum, great!

LooseLink wrote:Awesome! It would be great to have both of you on board! Have you released music in the past Dub? I'd love to hear it.
Thanks man. Well, considering the amount of time i have devoted for experimenting with sounds, I probably should have already. I could have released some breaks/downtempo stuff on an indie label some years ago, but it didnt happen. Since then my love for ambient and experimental soundtrack music has changed my sound direction, and i have been working in this area for some time now, mostly experimenting and improvising. When I lost from cancer my cat, who was my little boy and best friend, my pain and emotional collapse was reflected on the sounds i was making. So, the material i have collected so far for this project are tracks I was writing at that time, some earlier pieces of mine, and new stuff i have written especially for the project. The album is dedicated to my sweet little boy, and I could wait years for it to complete, forming and shaping it according to my vision. So, I still have no idea when im going to release this album.

If finally, I get the approval for my sounds from Ross and all of you guys, Terminal Window 3 will be my place of virgin appearance and release, as a sound artist.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

I'm back in the uk on Friday so ill be up for starting any cover art if its wanted.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Horray!
Nmesh 1984 wrote:I'm down to contribute something for this - It actually would work out perfect - earlier this year I started a 2 hour DJ mix kind of in the same vein of the Electric Brain Storm mixes, and its come to a stand still for the moment because of other projects and deadlines. So I've got lots of material that would be good for Terminal Radio... very ambient / psychedelic / experimental stuff I'm talking about, drenched in all sorts of samples "from the waste bins of time". So we're shooting for around 15 minutes you say? I think I could pack a lot in 15 mins actually...
That sounds cool man! Yeah, I think the final entire Terminal Radio mix shouldn't be more than 2 hours, so if the same amount of people from the Window series were to do mixes that would be around 8 people, so for 2 hours that's 15 minutes each.

This depends on how many people want to join. So far its at 5 people (Sven Meyer wants to join as well), so at the moment that's 24 minutes each. I'm taking inspiration from the Ninja Tune Solid Steel shows which work at the same principle, except if it was done with more people at one time. If nobody else wants to join for now to concentrate on Window 3 then us five can go ahead and the set amount for each mix will be at 24 minutes.

I'm waiting to see what people's reactions will be for Window 3. There can easily be another show when others are ready before Terminal Window 3 comes out or after. I'm thinking of paying the price and setting up a Terminal Soundcloud account or finding a podcast host to house these if it becomes a series or a show. So we don't have to wait for somebody else to release it for us, although at times I can also give a volume to a podcast or mixtape show for them to play as well.

So Nmesh, if you like, this can give you opportunity to have your entire mix out, but in parts.

I'm going to link the mixes together for each show, either with improv or a sample or a part of a track that sounds similar to the end of one person's mix with the beginning of another's mix, so I'll make sure everything flows.

Coverwise there doesn't need to be different covers all the time if that seems too daunting. Solid Steel sticks with the same cover except with different dates or volume number. Your welcome to make some cover art Herd.
dubmasta wrote:Some cool things are happening on the forum, great!

LooseLink wrote:Awesome! It would be great to have both of you on board! Have you released music in the past Dub? I'd love to hear it.
Thanks man. Well, considering the amount of time i have devoted for experimenting with sounds, I probably should have already. I could have released some breaks/downtempo stuff on an indie label some years ago, but it didnt happen. Since then my love for ambient and experimental soundtrack music has changed my sound direction, and i have been working in this area for some time now, mostly experimenting and improvising. When I lost from cancer my cat, who was my little boy and best friend, my pain and emotional collapse was reflected on the sounds i was making. So, the material i have collected so far for this project are tracks I was writing at that time, some earlier pieces of mine, and new stuff i have written especially for the project. The album is dedicated to my sweet little boy, and I could wait years for it to complete, forming and shaping it according to my vision. So, I still have no idea when im going to release this album.

If finally, I get the approval for my sounds from Ross and all of you guys, Terminal Window 3 will be my place of virgin appearance and release, as a sound artist.
Well you have my approval already :) Just the fact you post on this forum automatically gives you approval to be on a Terminal Window album. We're just trying an idea with volume 3.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

I'm in for doing a mix as well.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

dubmasta's music is some of the best coming out of this place, he's just too much of a perfectionist to have made any of it public yet.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Amen to that ...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I bow before you guys, I can only say..long live Fsolboard and the wonderful people that live in this land.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Now that I've heard his stuff, I third that! :)

Ok, we have a total of 8 people interested, that brings the minute mark back to 15. So with that, I say let's go ahead and make our mixes!

Terminal Radio #1 Mixers:
Loose Link
Pandemonium
Noisesurfer
Nmesh
Ross Baker
Herd
Sven Meyer
Five Minutes Alone

This will not be the final order of the mixes, I will mix them around until it all sounds right. If anybody drops out I'll ask somebody to do a 15 minute mix for us, that way none of us will have to go back and extend our mixes.

As for a date, I'll wait on the announcement for Window 3, it will probably be much earlier.
Last edited by LooseLink on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.