DJ Mixes

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
epitome
Elaborate Burn

DJ Mixes

Post by epitome »

Hey guys
Now I'm really getting into making music, I'm also interested in making some mixes and posting them online (MixCloud or somewhere).
I know quite a few of you have done mixes like this before, has anyone get any tips and/or rules about this?

Are tracks expected to be remixed at all, or do you usually just blend tracks from one to the next but basically just using the original unchanged track? Obviously any serious remixing is an issue without access to stems (shame, as I would love to do some remixes as well :mrgreen: ).

Any advice about making these would be appreciated :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: DJ Mixes

Post by Ross »

Most of the time it's just using the originals, although there's nothing stopping you applying fx, chopping them up etc. Sometimes using a section of a song has more impact than the whole track, for example. Depends on the kind of mix you're doing. I've sometimes done straight up tracks with a bit of a crossfade and/or reverb between them, sometimes I've thrown in field recordings and samples, sometimes I've chopped them up and layered them and added loads of samples to create more of a sound collage, FSOL-style. Go mad with it!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Cool, thanks for the info - should be fun :) I'd quite like to put Fizmer in the mix I do, if I can get hold of a high quality file of it? No worries though!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

On that now :)
Bertolt Brechtakt
Hardhead

Post by Bertolt Brechtakt »

Do what you like. The variety is pretty huge on Mixcloud. From live sets to radio shows to pure DJ sets.
I basically only use the original tracks since I mix with vinyl. There is a low or high pass filter here and there but that's about it really.
Enjoy it. Looking forward to your mixes.