AAARGH

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: AAARGH

Post by seedy »

i'll give you the early review

"uh....wtf is this? well that part was cool but idk......."

that's what i think when i try to listen with ears that are not my own ;p
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

My EP is done. I think... :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

All in all it's definitely solid work man! - My details are on the PM :) - I hope I helped :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Almost finished EP two, but seems like I have too much going on for my PC to handle, so now I can't listen to it in FL Studio because it stutters (REALLY badly, it's totally impossible to listen to it). This is making applying the finishing touches frustratingly difficult, as I have to make changes, then export it (which takes AGES) just so I can listen to it to hear what the changes sound like. Don't think I'll be doing any more 20 minute tracks (at least till I get a new PC) :(
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Learn to freeze tracks you silly sausage !

seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah my PC crapped out with every single track frozen
is what it is

another option you might have is to increase the buffer size
personally i haven't even bothered because it's quite clear my PC is like 10 years old and so yeah :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

mcbpete wrote:Learn to freeze tracks you silly sausage !

Thanks, I'll take a look at that :)

It's hard to learn this stuff, when you have no idea about what is out there for you to learn about 8-)

Seedy: After Googling it a couple of weeks ago I did try increasing the buffer size but it didn't help.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

epitome wrote:It's hard to learn this stuff, when you have no idea about what is out there for you to learn about 8-)
Haha no worries man - I feel like I'm still the same about 2 decades of making music later. The more I learn, the more I realise I have to learn - the other day I found out there's a whole load of different EQ types: Dynamic equalizers, Linear-phase parametric equalizers, Freeform (or FFT) equalizers, and regular multiband equalizers. I just whack stuff through things and see what comes out at the other end !
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

mcbpete that's a bit mindblowing and brave of you to admit lol!

anyway epitome increasing your buffer can help but it's nothing like freezing your tracks.
freezing will save you a tremendous amount of resources and you'll pretty much only hit your limit with this like I have when you start maxing out your memory.

my tune is at about 70 tracks and was fine up until the last 5 or so then it started getting crackly
at this point i'm like you and cannot play certain sections at all - have to print whatever I want to listen to to see where i'm at.

oi i'll be finally done with mine really soon as i have about 4 masters i'm currently tinkering with.
at one point i'm just going to have to accept that this will never have the clarity and pro sound i've been shooting for. better luck with my next tune and built up wisdom ;)

also epitome idk what DAW you are using but naturally you should be searching and reading up forums that tie to it. SoS (sound on sound) online has a tremendous amount of stuff you can learn. try sites like gearslutz, kvr, tweakheadz, watmm.
i personally was also lucky to have a book written up for my DAW - not by cakewalk themselves but an independent person wrote it up and it goes quite in depth. i read through that whole bish with a highlighter :)

finally....if anyone is interested in a pdf of the Rick Snowman "Dance Music Manual" please let me know.
it shouldn't be too hard to find yourself but if you can't and do want it just say the word.
it's not amazing or anything but still helps you to grow perspective and understand the bigger picture of production ;)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote: my tune is at about 70 tracks
What
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

That raised my eyebrows too - Even my wildest tracks were well under 20 !
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha well maybe i should remind that the tune is 22 minutes long ;)
and no doubt that now that i am more wise i can see a few ways i could have paired it down a bit. probably could get away with like 60 tracks by being crafty idk.

funny.....when i first hit 50 tracks i announced it on another site and someone said to me "50 that's all?? Wait until you get to 150!"

yes i'll be waiting... because i will need a new PC to handle that!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

mcbpete wrote:
epitome wrote:It's hard to learn this stuff, when you have no idea about what is out there for you to learn about 8-)
Haha no worries man - I feel like I'm still the same about 2 decades of making music later. The more I learn, the more I realise I have to learn - the other day I found out there's a whole load of different EQ types: Dynamic equalizers, Linear-phase parametric equalizers, Freeform (or FFT) equalizers, and regular multiband equalizers. I just whack stuff through things and see what comes out at the other end !
Had a quick play with freezing, looks like it should help - just a matter of feeling bothered to go through freezing bits now... I just wanna make some more music though 8-)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

seedy wrote:haha well maybe i should remind that the tune is 22 minutes long ;)
and no doubt that now that i am more wise i can see a few ways i could have paired it down a bit. probably could get away with like 60 tracks by being crafty idk.
Any chance of a screengrab for the arrangement, would love to see a beast of a project like that visually !
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i'll see what i can do :)