AAARGH

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: AAARGH

Post by mcbpete »

Aye, don't think I was thinking about EPs and Albums and things till a year or two down the line !
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

And don't set dates for releases until they're absolutely finished- otherwise you'll end up rushing them
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

It's my usual problem of too much ambition, too little talent :evil:
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yes i guess the love hate thing is quite natural
i surely ride the waves of "wow....this sounds pretty damn good" to "my god, this sounds like a 10 year old made it"
it's tough when you only have your own perceptions to deal with and they can be further clouded by your emotions

think back to the mantra though - why are you doing this?
for me it's personal so in the end anyone else appreciating it is simply a bonus. it's that, and i simply enjoy the journey. for all the mistakes or lack of progress that can happy all of that is covered up by a few good notes that i can get excited about.

don't be concerned about releases and dates and such
they aren't putting food on your table or making your life more complete in any way
just enjoy it or don't do it - life is too short!! ;)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Yeah, I think you're right. I felt like I was really going to get into it for a few days, but I'm finding it more stressful than enjoyable now. Probably best I pack it in and stick to staying in bed and listening to other people's music.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Don't make any long term plans, just work on it from time to time and when you feel it's going well then work on it, if you're not feeling it, give it a rest for a while. I often make my best music after a period of 'I hate everything'

And for the record, you obviously have talent, that one minute you shared is better than a lot of 'professional' music I've heard.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Cheers. Yeah, I think I need to chill out a bit more about it. No deadlines is a good idea. I'm still hoping to put a mix out around the new year, but after that things will just be finished when they're finished :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I put a rough version of my EP together today (all tracks except the last one are about 90% done) and listened through to it for the first time. Even with the bits that I know I still want to change, I was really pleased with how it sounded. I've only been working on it for about 2 months but I've put countless hours and lots of effort into it in that time. Feeling quite proud of myself. Now I just gotta hope I don't fuck it up with my finishing touches... (I'm also a bit worried that it sounded great just now but if I listen again tomorrow it'll sound awful)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Please share - I can give you a criticism as a serious listener / user, as opposed of most of the guys here who are producers / artists / music makers.
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Should I send my rough version now, or wait till it's "finished"?
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Well, I made some improvements today - pretty sure it's still not finished, but I think I need a short break from it now. Sent over the EP in its current state - if it's shit let me know!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

epitome wrote: hope I don't fuck it up with my finishing touches
this is where i'm at with the tune i wrote
pretty sure i've made it worse with all of the tinkering i've done and i don't even feel i can stop tinkering yet

many lessons learned along that journey :oops:
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

So your track is almost finished then? When are we gonna hear it - or at least a bit of it? :)

I'm hoping to apply the finishing touches to mine this weekend - I've listened to it a few times and I'm fairly sure it's good, but it's hard for me to judge it.

Got a few new things lined up - starting my next EP, trying to do a cover of a really cool track from the 90s, might do one or two more remixes, a mix set... I really wish I was doing this years ago, it's taken me years to find something to do that I really enjoy!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol it's been done i think for almost a year now. i've had to put it down at times for months on end (life stuff)
at this point i'm tinkering (too much) and need to add some final mastering to it
the bass effed me up for a long time and i'm still not really happy with it - really hard to get it right on the smaller speakers. i probably should have tried out some different patches but i'm stubborn =P

it will be up hopefully in the upcoming month or two
i just can't put up an unfinished version....it's going to sound rough enough even when it's done haha
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Well hurry up, I'm curious to hear it! ;)