AAARGH

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: AAARGH

Post by mcbpete »

There's no real right or wrong direction - just make some noises, whack stuff together, make a heap of sounds that you like in an order you like. Just go wild !
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Right, I think I'll go into the studio* and lock myself away for a few hours. Some good advice, thanks guys - I will experiment with making weird noises and see what I can come up with, and like Ross said, I'll try not to have anything specific in mind when I start.

* seems a bit weird to say I have a studio in the house, but there is now a whole room (a very small one) that is dedicated to making music, with a small collection of music-making gear in there :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Surprised myself - actually ended up having fun in the "studio" for about 5 hours. Came up with one track I really like (not finished, but getting there) and started a couple of others which I'm not so sure about. Will hopefully get to work on them a bit more tomorrow :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Awesome, well done!
If you ever feel too bad about your stuff, just say and I'll post the first track I ever made on a computer. Then you'll feel better.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I'm addicted now :)

I have track 1 mostly finished (I think - need a break from hearing it) and I've made a start on 3 more. Quite excited about tracks 2 and 4 (although I've got plenty of time to ruin them yet), not so sure about track 3 at the moment.

Now I wanna buy more gear or software, but I don't know what!
Ross

Post by Ross »

There we go! Only a matter of time before the process itself becomes as enjoyable as the result. Glad you're enjoying :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I had the last four days off work and I think I spent about 15-ish hours working on music, plus several more hours learning about music.

Back to work today though, unfortunately.

Progress was made, although I've been hearing my music so much over the last few days I'm starting to lose perspective on it, so a break from it might do me good :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i'm sick of my tune :P

even after a decent break i'm just ugggghhhhhh

once i'm done done with it i'll likely not listen to it for a few months!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

It does get really hard to be subjective on it when you keep listening over and over whilst working on it, doesn't it? I keep going between thinking it's sounding really good and hating it. I'll have a few days away from it and go back to it this weekend.

I actually have four tracks on the go - I've mainly worked on 2 of them, so I might even work more on the other two this weekend as well, as they aren't grating on my ears yet ;)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Well, if anyone has 90 seconds to spare and is interested in what I've been up to, here's a glimpse of the second track I've been working on. It's roughly mixed/mastered - I'm going to re-do that, after making a few small changes to the track as well. Just wanted to get a sample out in to the world :)

Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

This is pretty solid man - I like it!
- The only thing I'd change is the color of those acid loops - I think they'd sound better if they were lower / darker.
- The second half is just perfect.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

That's brilliant for a first track. Really like what you've got going there. The only thing I don't like myself are the crash symbols. I don't like them in electronic music in general, so that's just a personal preference. But I do think they're possibly a tad too high in the mix regardless. Otherwise really good, enjoyed the fact it seemed to have an unusual structure (something I'm fucking terrible at).
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dang man you're putting me to shame in no time!

you now have no room to complain! ;p
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Wow, thanks guys, that's really encouraging! I was worried it was going to get trashed!

I'll take your feedback on-board for when I return to mixing/tweaking the track - going to take a break from this one and work on a couple of new things now though. I have 5 tracks planned for an EP which I'm hoping to have finished early in the new year (but we'll see...) :)

Thanks again for the positive response :) Oh, and I was kinda surprised to see it had 17 plays and 4 likes on Soundcloud this morning - I don't even know how anyone else managed to stumble across it?
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I started work on a remix last night - spent about 2 hours on it. I wish I wasn't so easily distracted, I could do with finishing some of the other tracks I've started really :P
This remix is going to take longer than I thought, but I have got a decent start to it and some (hopefully) good ideas to add :)