Terminal Gear Thread

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
OffLand
Ill Flower

Re: Terminal Gear Thread

Post by OffLand »

Here's my current live setup :)

Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

mr royale -
can i please live in that room? wow!
i can be quiet and keep it clean :D

oi i wish we had a better picture as the way it's split is quite odd. what are the big black rectangles next to each speaker?

so anyway...did i miss something or have you never linked us any of your tunes?
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Tim, that's a remarkably similar setup to mine, from the Volcas to the same mixer... I even have a thumb piano, although I don't use it so much.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

seedy wrote:mr royale -
can i please live in that room? wow!
i can be quiet and keep it clean :D

oi i wish we had a better picture as the way it's split is quite odd. what are the big black rectangles next to each speaker?

so anyway...did i miss something or have you never linked us any of your tunes?
Thank you. The rectangles are bass traps. Not that they amount to much because the room is about as bad as you want for dimensions and there is a huge variance in the low notes. Headphones help a bit to judge the bass end in tracks.

I'll take a couple of the rack stuff and the desk in a bit.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

Nice set up there Offland :) I have a Volca Bass, but find myself using it for its upper register rather than bass. I've got several bass machines to cover that side of things anyway.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

Here is the thread for my album (I have a couple of other aliases than my Royale one)

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/v ... ?f=3&t=194
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Ross wrote:Tim, that's a remarkably similar setup to mine, from the Volcas to the same mixer... I even have a thumb piano, although I don't use it so much.
Cool, guess it is :) Didn't realize you had that mixer. Well you know I use my thumb piano a lot so would be weird not having it when playing live.
Mr Royale wrote:Nice set up there Offland :) I have a Volca Bass, but find myself using it for its upper register rather than bass. I've got several bass machines to cover that side of things anyway.
Thanks! I also use the Volca Bass as a lead and then use the Volca Keys for the lower stuff. Whatever works!
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ah there we go that was an old post mr royale!
about to give that link a spin ;)

still have to work on getting a pic up but here is one item you won't see in the pic......because i barely know how to use it :P

one of these days i'll try to figure out how to integrate it with my DAW and midi keyboard!

i also have one of these that i DID know how to program quite well....back in 1994 :)

i still have a tune or two on there that i would like to revive. just like the groovebox above though i'm unsure how to really get everything into my DAW for further editing etc.

ah one of these days........ :roll:
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

OffLand wrote: Whatever works!
Indeed. I keep using for more percussive stuff oddly enough.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

The simplest way to get patterns off the DR5 would be to plug the MIDI out into your In on the computer and record the patterns you want. You could them multi track each part in by muting the individual instruments in the DAW.

The Groovebox will likely sync to your DAW. You may need to set up the sync to external and then find out what sync it likes from the DAW. Midi clock is what drives my x0x and Volca.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

You win !
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

Ha ha. It's not a competition. :) I have forgone learning to drive and saving for a house buying that. Most of it is second hand too and some got at good prices at the time. I should shift a few bits which have become redundant though :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah that really is a f'n playground in there!

.......about those toys i posted...... yes i think i could get the Midi over perhaps easy enough - surely can try muting tracks to bring even just the audio stems over etc. but ultimately my dream is to get EVERYthing into my PC meaning both MIDI and the sampled sounds coming from the DR-5. not sure how possible that is or what.
i know a tiny bit about the SysEx(sp?) messages and I think this is what you are referencing. what exactly that gives me i'm not too sure yet though :)

now, the groovebox has nothing i need to retrieve - but still a similar goal in that i would love to simply trigger the sounds from it.

so putting my old tunes aside - essentially i would like to be able to use either of these for new composition and i would like it to be 100% out of my PC. is it possible that I can send MIDI messages via my DAW and controller to one of these units.....and they can in turn send back to my DAW the audio that's being triggered?

i hope that made any sense :P
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

No, you don't need to worry about sysex, that is a special set of messages for control, although there is no harm in learning a bit more about it, it is rarely needed unless you are creating a special controller in a DAW. What DAW do you use? You need to send synchronisation from it to the MC303 to use the internal sequencer on it. You could do the same for the DR 5 too, once you have the sync out set up, you then need to set up the gear to sync to an external clock.

The MIDI is easily recorded and the samples can be had here http://www.beantownboogiedown.com/techn ... -down.html and imported into whatever playback 'sampler' you use (drum rack on Live!). Either set the tempo of project to that of the DR 5 or once you've figured out the sync, record it that way for a better result (quantize wise).

edit: I've just listened to that set of samples, but they're not ideal I think. easy enough to sample your own one shots off of it.
Last edited by Mr Royale on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.