Mixing/Mastering

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Mixing/Mastering

Post by Ross »

Either
No
No. It's just how you use it.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Simples. Thanks.

Any recommendations for good PC software with plenty of plug-ins and such available?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Anything that supports VST/i s basically. Then head to KVR and find whatever delights you want !
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

That site looks great, thanks! :)

I think I'll give FL another go. Just a matter of finding the time now - Usually I spend too much time listening to music to find time to learn how to make it :shock:
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

If you want more of an all-round DAW, Reaper is good - you can use the unrestricted trial version for as long as you like (or pay for a license if you have the money - it's not too expensive.)
I haven't used Fruity since I switched to Logic halfway through the Vacuum Road Songs sessions (around 2004) so I can't offer advice with it, although I hear FLStudio is pretty good. Huerco S uses it so it's obviously pretty powerful.

Honestly though, I would say when it comes to your own setup, experiment and play around until you find what's good for you. There are no go-to packages or setups, there are no rules as to what to use or not. The more you follow examples, the more your music will sound like other peoples'. I've always made my own way and I encourage people to do the same.

As Aphex said in his recent Pitchfork interview: "I used to be a bit secretive and didn't want people to know what I was using, or get too fixated and waste their money buying equipment, because it's not about what equipment you have, it's what you do with it."
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

My main problem usually is that I have certain sounds in my head that I want, but I ultimately have no idea how to get them. So I'm clicking around for hours trying to create a few seconds of music the way I want it, or I never manage to get it at all.

But yes, thanks for your thoughts and I will give Reaper a look too :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

So today I remixed a Gary Numan song... spent several hours on it and now wish I'd done it completely differently! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find time to try again in a few months :P