Gear talk...

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
impurfekt
Hardhead

Re: Gear talk...

Post by impurfekt »

While I feel my softsynths and samples have plenty of "analog" sound; I realize I don't know what I'm missing. Honestly I'm afraid to get an actual hardware synth. I may hate all my software after I hear one and be forced to buy racks of expensive gear before I'm satisfied again.

I can say that buying softsynths that are sampled from or specifically modeled to match old analog gear does help. I would recommend having a walk around the Arturia website. They've got a lot of vintage style softsynths to offer. I find the Moog Mini V and Modular V particularly well done.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Nice to see this thread finally taking off.. it's funny to read my old posts :geek:

What I'm using now (all plugins, I don't have the money to buy any serious outboard gear):

Monitoring

- Cheap Samson near fields, pretty low-end but great bang for the buck
- Sennheiser HD555 (once again, prosumer quality but they get the job done)

DAW

- Reaper w/ dual display (switched recently after using Ableton for years, i fucking LOVE this program)

Nebula (mixing)

- RND 5088 console
- RND 5033 EQ
- RND 5043 comp
- RND 5043 tape unit

I love the sound of these, my workhorses and they always manage to sound better than anything out there that I've heard.

Effects

- Elysia Alpha (compressor, smashing those drums like no other when you actually learn to use this beast)
- Uhbik-D (delay)
- Ohmicide (distortion, this is INSANE!)
- E.A.R. & EMT 140 plate (reverbs)
- Slate Digital FG-X (limiter)

Synths etc.

- Kontakt 5 (yeah yeah, everybody uses it)
- D16 Lush-101
- Audjoo Helix
- Cakewalk Rapture
- Best Service Engine (recently discovered this, has some kick ass ambient libraries, otherwise pretty meh)

Finally, after almost 10 years I can say that I've learned something about mixing.. now I can finally focus on making music instead of technical wanking :P
from the source flows the endless...
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Reaper is a great program,i´m now with reason4 but always i return to this little big pro.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

After all this time I still know nothing about mixing, which I suspect is, subconsciously, the reason I decided to focus on 'lo-fi' music...
impurfekt
Hardhead

Post by impurfekt »

Ross wrote:After all this time I still know nothing about mixing, which I suspect is, subconsciously, the reason I decided to focus on 'lo-fi' music...
The pursuit of low-fi is a worthy endeavor. I highly encourage it.