New to the community (with a track to share)

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
impurfekt
Hardhead

New to the community (with a track to share)

Post by impurfekt »

Hi folks. I wanted to introduce myself and give some background as I'm new to the community.

I've been a fan of FSOL since I heard "We Have Explosive" on a compilation in the late 90's. Funny thing is, I didn't really like that track but I did some digging and discovered they had so much more to offer. While I can't seem to get into any of their releases after Dead Cities; I still listen to that and Lifeforms monthly (not kidding). They are the best albums of their style I've ever heard; in my opinion. The combination of textures, emotion, flow, atmosphere... They defined "electronic" for me.

As for me; I've been making music seriously since 2007. I began with an electronica sound and it soon developed into a dark ambient/industrial mix. But I've been moving away from that over the last couple years. Frankly, I'm tired of making dark, ominous music. Life has always influenced my music and I no longer possess the will to express the negative spectrum.

Long story short(ened); I want to reach out to like-minded musicians and broaden my community. The majority of my current musician friends are still making dark, angry music. I am leaning more toward a blend of FSOL, Enigma, Akira Yamaoka, older Massive Attack, etc.

I wanted to share a track from an EP I am in the process of making. It's kind of meant as a bridge from my old sound toward the newer sound I want to express. Very much FSOL influenced. Anyway, I'd love to get opinions and insights.

http://crlstudios.bandcamp.com/track/i- ... o-remember

I hope to get to know you folks here and perhaps remix/collaborate in the future (if you folks do that sort of thing).

Best wishes,
Aaron
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: New to the community (with a track to share)

Post by Pandemonium »

Welcome to the board :)

- It's a solid track, the style is very FSOL - it even sounds like something from the Archives :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Welcome aboard Aaron,very great sound indeed,sounds fantastic,and sure have Fsol tastes.
Cheers
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Nice track Aaron, nice Lifeforms vibe in it. Welcome to the board :)

You're in the right place if you want to do collaborations and remixes! There's been a few started here and still continuing, we're quite a collaborative little group here. I'll be looking for that and some remix work pretty soon if you're interested in that!

There is also Terminal Radio, which is our internet radio show, if you do mixes as well. You are always welcome to make a 15-17 minute mix for the series. Sometime this year as well there will be Terminal Window 3, which is the third in our compilation album series, this one is set to be our biggest in terms of scope and execution. It would be great to have you join in on that! :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Hello hello, welcome! Nice track, definitely a distinct FSOL influence, more stripped back but it works nicely. Be interested to hear your further developments.
Definitely with you on the dark/light - I went down a very dark path for a while, but these days it just doesn't work for me, I'm writing the warmest music I've made these days.
impurfekt
Hardhead

Post by impurfekt »

Morning guys. Great to meet all of you! Thank you for the compliments as well. I basically went into this EP with the intent on flexing my FSOL muscles to the fullest. I've never given myself the opportunity to go there and it feels really, really good. My point of reference is Lifeforms and Dead Cities. They are burned on the inside of my brain. I own ISDN but it doesn't inspire me.

I've got one other track finished (sent it to Herd for critique) and two more to do. Though, the EP is on hold while I finish a film score.

LooseLink: Thanks for the heads up about Terminal Radio and remix/collaborations. Sounds awesome. While I don't have enough material to contribute a mix just yet, I'll certainly want to contribute a track for the compilation. Once my EP is finished I could make a mix out of that too. Is there a way to subscribe to Terminal Radio? Is it distributed like a podcast?

I'm certainly interested in collaborations so please keep me in mind. I just finished three remixes and need a break from those for a while though, ha ha.

Ross: Yeah, my music has always been a form of self-therapy. It expresses what goes on in my life and in my heart. Losing a few loved ones along the way certainly takes some angst out of that equation. I feel it's time to be a positive force in the universe you know?

Edit:

Okay, I just found the Terminal Radio transmissions on soundcloud. Mind = blown. Holy shit this is awesome. I mean... AWESOME.
Last edited by impurfekt on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

At the moment TR is only on Soundcloud, Mixcloud and Fnoob. It will be expanding to other places including iTunes, I will keep everyone up to date!
impurfekt wrote: Okay, I just found the Terminal Radio transmissions on soundcloud. Mind = blown. Holy shit this is awesome. I mean... AWESOME.
:D Plenty more to come!