Best cheap hardware sequencer?

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
Concept
Tingler

Best cheap hardware sequencer?

Post by Concept »

Hi folks : ).

I'm looking to get into making some music. Ambient breakzy stuff preferably. I'd prefer to use a hardware sequencer at first due to the tactile nature of the hardware and the ease of use of having something with a synth and a drum machine built in (preferably with a sampler).

What are the options for a beginner in this area, and have things moved on in this area from the days of the MC-303/RMX1?

Advice appreciated. : )
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Best cheap hardware sequencer?

Post by mcbpete »

Ross might be able to suggest otherwise (as I believe he's going more and more hardware orientated), but I'd honestly suggest starting with software first for making music and if you want the tactile nature of hardware get a generic midi controller like the Korg Nano range

eg.

or

It could be that you start making tracks with all that hardware and find out it's not for you, but as you've written the above I'm guessing you have a computer so are ready to go already with no expense to worry about !
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I don't have a sequencer, just a bunch of synths (with built in sequencers like the Volcas), so I can't help sadly!
Spryte.
Hardhead

Post by Spryte. »

Depends on how cheap though.. Wouldn't an MPC1000 with JJOS be a good hardware sequencer choice?
ob8
Hardhead

Post by ob8 »

I had a Alesis MMT8 ages ago, and also a MPC2000XL sometime after. I would recommend the Akai as its easy to use, i like the pads, good for looping so you don't have to play every second of every track by hand. Lots of drum samples available for it also.
r2101
Hardhead

Post by r2101 »

an old roland mc505 maybe? had the keyboard version the jx305 a lifetime ago and triggerd stuff from there.