Speakers

Anything goes. But keep it clean buster...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Speakers

Post by epitome »

Any advice from you experts -

I'm looking to get some speakers for a PC that will mainly be used for dabbling with music creation.

I was looking at these:

But then I wondered if a set of cheap monitors would be better:

Would one of those be better than the other? Are either going to be good enough, or do I need to spend more money? I don't want to spend too much, as I'm very much an amateur anyway, just doing it for a hobby...

Any advice/suggestions, please? :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Speakers

Post by mcbpete »

The bottom one (the M-Audio) looks very similar to the one I have, might actually be the same model (or in a slightly different newer casing)!

If so aye it's good - nothing mindblowing (though reference monitors should never really put a wild sheen on things) but definitely decent enough. I'd avoid the Creative ones, any gaming type speakers tend to have horrible frequency response (boost the bass and top end leaving the middle horrible hollow) and say the bottom are definitely good enough for music work it as a hobby.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Thanks for the info :)

I've been reading about them a bit today - there seem to be pros and cons to both. I do like that the Creatives allow you to adjust the bass and treble on the speakers themselves, and playing around with that might allow me to find a fairly "neutral" sound.

Now I kinda want to get both... But then there's lack of money and lack of desk space (another reason I'm still considering the Creatives, as I think they're a bit smaller)... Oh, decisions, decisions... :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Production monitors (as opposed to speakers) should be calibrated to have that neutral frequency response as standard so I wouldn't worry about that. My M-Audio monitors respond in almost exactly the same way to my AKG-701s (which definitely DO have a flat response) so colouring shouldn't be an issue. The problem with those bass/treble dials is that you have absolutely no idea what frequency, gain or Q-width that it's effecting, it's just boosting some unspecified bit of sound
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

mcbpete wrote:Production monitors (as opposed to speakers) should be calibrated to have that neutral frequency response as standard so I wouldn't worry about that. My M-Audio monitors respond in almost exactly the same way to my AKG-701s (which definitely DO have a flat response) so colouring shouldn't be an issue. The problem with those bass/treble dials is that you have absolutely no idea what frequency, gain or Q-width that it's effecting, it's just boosting some unspecified bit of sound
Ah right, yeah, that makes sense. Cheers :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I also vote M-Audio :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Thanks. We have a winner :)
seedy