RIP Alexander Shulgin (the inventor of Ecstasy)

Anything goes. But keep it clean buster...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

RIP Alexander Shulgin (the inventor of Ecstasy)

Post by tryptych »

Well, it seems great visionaries keep dropping like flies.. I guess that's the nature of the moment of history we live in:

Alexander Shulgin, the researcher who transformed MDMA from an obscure chemical to a party drug known as Ecstasy, has died at his home in Northern California. He was 88, and the cause was liver cancer, .

, Shulgin's wife and collaborator, Ann Shulgin, said:

"Sasha died today, at exactly 5 o'clock in the afternoon. He was surrounded by family and caretakers and Buddhist meditation music, and his going was graceful, with almost no struggle at all."

Shulgin's contribution to research into psychedelic compounds is immense. :

"For 40 years, working in plain sight of the law and publishing his results, Shulgin has been a one-man psychopharmacological research sector. (Timothy Leary called him one of the century's most important scientists.) By Shulgin's own count, he has created nearly 200 psychedelic compounds, among them stimulants, depressants, aphrodisiacs, 'empathogens,' convulsants, drugs that alter hearing, drugs that slow one's sense of time, drugs that speed it up, drugs that trigger violent outbursts, drugs that deaden emotion — in short, a veritable lexicon of tactile and emotional experience. And in 1976, Shulgin fished an obscure chemical called MDMA out of the depths of the chemical literature and introduced it to the wider world, where it came to be known as Ecstasy."
This man has done probably more than any other person in history considering psychoactive compounds. Time to take dirt nap my friend. RIP.
from the source flows the endless...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: RIP Alexander Shulgin (the inventor of Ecstasy)

Post by Pandemonium »

He's also (probably & directly) responsible for many tracks (dancefloor anthems) we love & respect :)

RIP
You're doin' too much, do less.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

He's probably one of the main reasons techno culture exists in the first place :)

Everybody should look into his stuff, even if you're not into psychedelics.. he was a top class scientist, and I think it's cool that they actually give permits for psychedelic research in the US.

It's been almost ten years since I actually read any of his stuff, but TiHkal and PiHkal are pretty much the psychedelic opuses.
from the source flows the endless...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i know nothing of this dude

part of the reason is probably because i've never done the stuff or any variation

i've always thought i would just love it too much and i'm positive i made the good decision of avoiding that scenario

DMT i would love to try
but i'm pretty sure i'll forever be too scared, which also might be a good thing :)