What are you watching at the moment? (TV, DVD,whatever)

Anything goes. But keep it clean buster...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: What are you watching at the moment? (TV, DVD,whatever)

Post by Ross »

Yeah, my housemate was raving about that.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

The World Cup!

Time to kick some Mexican ass tonight.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Since I'm not a big fan of the current US TV series, I've been checking out some anime I've been missing out the past few years. You're never too old to watch anime right.. right?!? I'm such a geek.. (actually, I'm not a big otaku or a fanatic really) :P

- Mushishi Zoku Shou (new episodes of the now-acclaimed classic. love it.)
- Barakamon (funny)
- New Ghost In The Shell OVA's.. gets better all the time

Apart from that, watched a crazy movie called Super Fuzz from 1982.. it has Terrence Hill in it, had me ROFLMAO really nicely. Also some 6-part BBC documentary about birds, awesome it was.

Re-watched Stephen Kings' Storm Of The Century from 1998, proper darkness there. Twin Peaks blu-ray remasters are out, so a bit of that.. Nathan For You from Comedy Central is so awkward :)

I hate it when all my favorite series go to summer/whatever break at the same time.. luckily new season of Mythbusters started.

Shit like that.
from the source flows the endless...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Currently mid-way through two series. I'm showing Lucy Doctor Who from the start (well, the surviving episodes - I do need to get all the audios for the missing episodes and do a proper marathon one day... but that's for another time). Just started on my favourite Doctor, Patrick Troughton.

And in my own time, going though Star Trek: The Next Generation, because it's been far too long since I saw it. Nearly finished series 1. I've been enjoying a game of 'spot the Orbital sample' in this. Got a particular thrill from 'macrohead with a microbrain', as that sample always makes me laugh in the track, and it's even better in its original context.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Ross - if you're re-watching TNG,
please download the new HD remasters - they really are better :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Just watching on Netflix - originals. I'm honestly not an effects nut, I like TNG for the ideas and characters, so some 80s graphics don't bother me at all.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Cool, I am watching Deep Space Nine for the first time, I'm at the beginning of season 4 now. The show is getting better the farther I get!

In the past I've only seen Voyager and Enterprise in their entirety, which are both awesome. But none of the movies. Not quite the best thing to do, story-wise, but it's still easy to follow. I tried hard to like TOS and TNG for a couple of episodes but it's just not my cup of tea I guess.

Apart from DS9 pretty much the only other tv show I watch right now is South Park!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, I'll be moving onto DS9 when I finish TNG. I remember not liking DS9 at all when it was first on TV over here, but I have a feeling I didn't 'get' it entirely - being able to watch it in a continuous run will enable me to appreciate the continuing storylines...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

It's best to watch everything in a row with the original airdates
(it's not essential at all, but still the best)

- and not to torture myself explaining - a picture is worth a 1000 words :)

- so basically from 6-11 on TNG you star with DS9 and go in parallel
- and from 3-12 on DS9 you start with VOY and go parallel

I still think Star Trek is THE BEST sci-fi franchise and it's hard to imagine anything will beat them in the near future...

And yes DS9 is slow and a bit boring the first 3 seasons, but from 4-01 is getting REALLY god, and by the end it's fucking epic -- the last seasons are possibly the best seasons Star Trek has offered. It was all utopia in TOS and TNG - meeting some interesting aliens and making diplomatic moves and in some rare cases some shooting - but DS9 revealed the dark side of the Federation, section 31 and all that, spies, lies and EPIC space battles!
- VOY also did pretty good with the storytelling and the BORG episodes.
- The movies pretty much SUCK as stand-alone movies -- but if you watch them in the chronology as long-episodes - they're fine :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

In terms of proper science fiction, I can't imagine it being beaten. I think TNG is probably the best in overall sci-fi ideas, i.e. it doesn't have the whole TOS thing of Kirk beaming down to a planet of women in scantily clad clothes who want to have sex with him, yet it still has the unbound exploration that DS9 and Voyager lack due to their diversifying.

In terms of stuff generally identified as sci-fi, I think Doctor Who will always be my favourite. It has so, so many flaws, but it's kind of a bizarre hodge-podge of strange British whimsy mixed with sci-fi, fantasy, historical drama and current-affairs-satire that it appeals to every level of my enjoyment.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Proper sci-fi is a rare thing this last decade or so...
Interstellar (the movie) came as a warm proper surprise -- it's the best movie I've seen since... I can't remember -- I practically stopped watching movies in the last 4 years... (series only).

In other news, Asimov's Foundations will be made into a series - by HBO and Chris Nolan's younger brother.
- The books are incredibly heavy to be televised - so we'll see...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, so much sci-fi really just happens to be fantasy in space or the future rather than actual sci-fi. Who is a weird one as it seems to go in and out of actual sci fi over the years: some of the mid-60s stuff - particularly the stories written by Kit Pedler - are proper sci-fi, similarly with the early '80s stuff; elsewhere it's just crazy adventure stories in space. Even Battlestar Galactica drifted away towards fantasy stuff by its end.

I'm looking forward to seeing Interstellar, whenever I do, as I've heard enough good things to make me actually pay attention...
leonb2273
Hardhead

Post by leonb2273 »

Ok, this seemed like the best place to put it...
Apparently in EastEnders (the big episode they've been advertising for a while now) they played Papua New Guinea at the end of it where they showed someone who'd died...
Not sure if that's good or not, but it's nice suddenly seeing all the appreciation for FSOL on Twitter :)
leonb2273
Hardhead

Post by leonb2273 »

RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Hmm, that's a kind of strange scene to be using uplifting music like Papua New Guinea in the background.

I am now watching the mini-series How The Universe Works. It is narrated by Mike Rowe, the brilliant host from Dirty Jobs. The content is really low level and easy to understand so far (at least for me, having somewhat of a background in that subject). But still it is really interesting, and has cool special effects.

Recently watched documentary that I would highly recommend: Cowspiracy. A thought-provoking look on the impact of factory farming on our planet.