Music Archeology

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Music Archeology

Post by Pandemonium »

So, from now on, whenever someone asks me "Why do you need thousands of records man?" - I'll just point them to this link - because this guy covered all the aspects (RESPECT!)

You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Re: Music Archeology

Post by dubmasta »

Could I ask the Music Archeologist if there is a recording in existence of Peter Green jamming with Jimi Hendrix? Been looking for that one for some time.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Peter Green:
I did get up and jam with Jimi one night in 1968 in a London club called The Bag O' Nails. We all had a great time doing the Chicago Blues stuff.

- I doubt there is a recording of this, I'll check though.
- Even if it does, it would be some horrible bootleg audience recording... But we'll see...

PS - you can also go to that guys website (musicismysanctuary.com) and ask around :)
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

This info from Green's FAQ for his fans has been circulating around for some time now and is well known to the blues lovers. I doubt Peter Green is able to remember anything from that era for obvious well known reasons. Even if a dirty bootleg, I refuse to believe nobody recorded the electricguitar legend playing with the greatest white blues player who was a jew. I understand there cant be a recording of JS. Bach jamming with Sylvius Leopold Weiss on lutes but if there is no info on PG + Jimi recording there is a serious gap in Music Archaeology - the term Musicology used by musicians.
Last edited by dubmasta on Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I think music archeology is about unearthing unknown gems, form unknown musicians,
not about looking for an audience recording of some legends playing together...
but yeah, whatever rocks your boat man.

I have a LOT of rare Jimi recording at home,
can't say I listened to more than 2 of them,
I'll take a look tonight...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Thanks for looking up the recording, hope u find it. That would be a historic piece of music.

All is beautiful but Ill have to disagree on two things in this thread which are absolutely incorrect. First and foremost the title of the thread itself. Ill have to disappoint you here but Music Archaeology (which I misspelled earlier) has nothing to do with what this guy describes. Even more, unearthing unknown gems, from unknown musicians, once again is totally irrelevant with Music Archaeology - which is a science of excavating archaic artifacts, sound devices and instruments, and other evidence of how ancient music was sung, played and performed, in order to recreate it and understand how that archaic music might have sounded like.

A simple and most popular example of that is the one that changed the western musical world forever - Baroque music, which was the product of deep studies of Ancient Greek texts and surviving scripts, using Pythagorean tuning and Ancient Hellenic scales that were used by greeks who lived all around from Minor Asia and North Italy (Magna Grecia at the time), from Gibraltar to Egypt, from Sparta to Makedonia. Things got interesting when revenging the Persian Empire for burning down Athens to the ground, Alexander realised his fathers dream to invade east and became the first greek who heavily blended hellenic and eastern cultures and music.

As for vinyl collecting, Im definitely going to give it a go once I can afford a Technics MK2.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

OK that last reply was total gibberish to me :)
And I would not like to go into that at all, so as you said - let's agree to disagree :)
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I think people who love music should dig deeper and find the actual story behind a composition in order to understand what it is they are actually listening to and how and why it was written. At least that's what the Russian music teachers tought me when I lived in Soviet Union. They would actually say that its invaluable for a performer in order to play it. Wouldnt know about listeners. There were plenty of them saying the same thing so it kind of stuck in my brains since then. They were talking about classical music compositions but I think it stands for any kind of music.
I might be mislead-ed by the meaning of the term archaeology which Im sure I dont have to explain, combined it with the word Music, and thought it might mean archaeology of music, but I might be totally incorrect. I remember I studied a subject at the Tbilisi State Conservatoire before the fall of USSR, which was named Music History which dealt with all that. But again it all might be absolutely wrong so dont get my words for granted, and I might be making a fool of myself here.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Archaeology can mean any study of the history of culture, it doesn't have to take the typical 'digging things up' definition, so I think Pande's use of it is fine, but I totally get why you thought that dubmasta.

It's interesting, some people feel they really need that connection with the piece's past, the composer's thoughts and reasons etc., before they can appreciate a piece of music. My girlfriend likes to read up about the entire culture of a period, the influences etc. before she really gets into an artist. I'm the opposite really, I like to appreciate a piece of music on its own merits rather than its context. Further information can sometimes add to it, but it has to stand its own ground for me to enjoy it.